Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Verizon Joins AT&T in Effort to Stop Tethering Via Jailbreak Apps

Quote Originally Posted by awareunlikeu View Post
    Guys, why cant the devs that created and maintain MyWi just include an update that allows you to hide from carrier when one is tethering. There has to be a work around! This needs to be addressed immediately!
    PDA-NET has done exactly that since the first texts warning people were sent out. There's an option for stealth.

Quote Originally Posted by Moosestache View Post
    No, it is like cable tv companies telling you you can watch all the standard cable tv channels you want for a set price. Then you go out and jailbreak your cable box so you can watch all the premium channels you want. Then you get outraged when the cable company tries to charge you for them.
    No actually it's NOTHING like you've tried explaining. Your way STEALS something you NEVER were paying for in the first place.

The correct analogy would be they give you a set number of channels at a set price which you pay. You then want to watch those channels on portable TV or some other device. You aren't STEALING anything as you are already paying for those channels. You aren't USING more data because you have unlimited anyways....they are basically trying to charge us twice for the same thing.
    Last edited by tekwiz; 08-11-2011 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tekwiz View Post
    PDA-NET has done exactly that since the first texts warning people were sent out. There's an option for stealth.

No actually it's NOTHING like you've tried explaining. Your way STEALS something you NEVER were paying for in the first place.

The correct analogy would be they give you a set number of channels at a set price which you pay. You then want to watch those channels on portable TV or some other device. You aren't STEALING anything as you are already paying for those channels. You aren't USING more data because you have unlimited anyways....they are basically trying to charge us twice for the same thing.
    Lol... yea your analogy is spot on!!! Do you do this kind of stuff for a living, because you are damn good at it.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyKarma View Post

The bottum line is the carriers are double dipping because they don't want to spend the money to upgrade the networks for the amount of data they handle.

Data is Data...I don't care how you work it it's still Data...If I pay for a Data Package on my contract then I should be able to use that Data however I see fit, be it tethering or WiFi Hotspot, or surfing the app store for an hour looking for a new game i'll play once and forget about...It doesn't matter what I do with my Data it's MY DATA I Pay for it.

The carriers use legal ******** and double speak and semantics to try to separate Data usage so they can charge you twice for the same damn thing. It's total ******** and the carriers need to back off.

and as far as those of you who pay extra for tethering...Sorry your speed may or may not be affected by free users who refuse to pay twice for Data...but you chose to pay twice for the same thing rather then fight it, it's wrong to charge twice for data any way you slice it....

All of that is true except for one little tiny fact you left out. You agreed to their terms of service which expressly states that you cannot use the data anyway YOU see fit.

I do agree with who say that AT&T is overcharging for data ... but he who has the toys makes the rules.

Want a change? Take them to court or find a carrier willing to offer the service cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by ccoltmanm View Post
    I'm sure they wouldn't care if you were illegally tethering with a capped plan. They do not like unlimited users who are not a "certain amount of data" client to be tethering.
    I only have a 2GB plan and i got the text. Its stupid because i would just pay my overages anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by tekwiz View Post

Makes a lot of sense, but still something missing... What you initially paid for is service on your home... To make it portable would require extra services and possibly hardware on which the company has to invest, which then I'm turn makes it an premium add-on. We're not talking antenna local channels, were talking all channels in this basic package you subscribe to that requires a cable going from wall to TV. So it's clear that it should require a premium to make this portable feature exist. Same as tethering from your phone. You all need to look at what is required behind the scenes.
    -= Formally known as SiLeNtKiLLa =-

looks like people are gonna eat this **** up, based on the comments.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Contracts are likely going to turn into licenses. That is what I would do if I were a cell phone company. You are licensed to utilize said data on a smart phone. Anything outside of that you are outside the boundaries of said license. There will be no grey area whatsoever (even though I don't really think there is a grey area now). I am still having a very hard time understanding how people are justifying using this data and calling those who abide by their contracts the idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by ipodtouchman77 View Post
    Lol actually sprint's "4G" is about the same as AT&T and Verizon's 3G(!) speeds. Sprint's 4G is a joke. And their 3G is TWICE as SLOW as AT&T and Verizon's 3G speeds
    This depends heavily on your location and the time of day you are using the service. One thing is for certain, your latency is far better on Wimax than any 3G service I have ever used.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 08-13-2011 at 11:32 AM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345