+ Reply
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Verizon Joins AT&T in Effort to Stop Tethering Via Jailbreak Apps

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 Because tethering typically uses FAR more data than what the phone would use by itself. Seriously, you people who try to "hide" and tether when it's
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
    Because tethering typically uses FAR more data than what the phone would use by itself.

Seriously, you people who try to "hide" and tether when it's not part of your plan are clogging up the networks for the rest of us, including the ones who legitimately pay for tethering service.
    That's a ******* good one... "Clogging" if you want to pay for it that's your problem. It's just like getting free music I don't pay for my songs but I have to go through more steps to get it. It doesn't clog ****. It's the same as people who use Netflix pandora YouTube constantly. And with ios5 u can use cellular data for hd YouTube and FaceTime now. "clogging" smh

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    I wouldn't goto Sprint, slow ***** network. My iPhone 4 download on 3G was faster than my buddies EVO 4G on there whatever 4G network they call it "Winmax" or whatever.
    +1
    Sent from my iPhone 4.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sandsjh View Post
    you're*

you're*

you're*
    :middlefinger: get a life

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

+1

Quote Originally Posted by brandyn baker View Post
    :middlefinger: get a life
    +1

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgunaca View Post
    You say "illegal tethering" like it's some kind of offense punishable by law. There is no law against tethering.
    It's against your TOS. You're breaking your contract

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I use PDANet along with a VPN and it works excellent. It must be done in the right order, though. If the VPN drops off while tethering you're exposed! I turn on PDANet first and enable the WiFi hotspot. I do not connect to the hotspot. I enable VPN, then connect to the hotspot. Doing things in this order remains very stable and the VPN does not fall off.

It would be impossible to completely hide tethering. A laptop uses more ports and does too many detectable things. Enabling VPN on the iPhone hides everything that goes on.

Overplay VPN works good for me. It's cheaper than tether charges, plus I have excellent protection whether going through the iPhone and enabling VPN on the iPhone, or enabling VPN on my laptop when on a public WiFi. I get all with one account.

Thanks

For those saying "can't wait for Sprint iPhone, real unlimited plan!" just note that unlimited data on AT&T as well as Verizon was $30 a month. Know how much Sprint's is? A little over $70 a month. Have a great time on Sprint!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by imanono View Post
    For those saying "can't wait for Sprint iPhone, real unlimited plan!" just note that unlimited data on AT&T as well as Verizon was $30 a month. Know how much Sprint's is? A little over $70 a month. Have a great time on Sprint!
    +1

Banned
    Thanks

That because most of the people here in the US are a buncha squares who just accept the cards they are dealt instead of getting up and going to a different table!

Thanks

it's not that unlimited data is $70... it's unlimited everything for $70, I'd know, i have sprint.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spazmonic View Post
    Said it before on here and I will say it again. Go ahead and change my unlimited data plan. Breach of contract and I can cancel without early termination fees.
    Wow, you're a tough guy. Even if this happened to you, you'd never post here and admit it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spazmonic View Post
    Said it before on here and I will say it again. Go ahead and change my unlimited data plan. Breach of contract and I can cancel without early termination fees. So thanks for the 3 iPhones on my plan I can sell unlocked/jailbroke. Good job! Kudos for you VZW/AT&T. May not seem like a big lose for ya but the $2,500/yr. you get off me can go somewhere else now. TADA!
    You may want to double check your contract because clearly you didn't read it. Your contract only ensures you keep working service under that particular company for xyz time, nothing to do with the data plan as that is an feature, but in this case, a required feature. As to why you can switch to an non-smartphone and no breach on contract. So canceling will still cause an ETF because you terminated the required active service and the carrier can clearly change the features on your acct because it's just that, an feature, especially if it's being used the wrong way.
    -= Formally known as SiLeNtKiLLa =-

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    All this nonsense about clogging up the network is not the reason. All of the carriers are focused on one thing, profit. If they can find a way to get money from you will. Remember with ATT you have no choice with the iPhone, you must have a data account with it. They want you to use lots of data bandwidth AND they want to get paid by you for doing it.

I use 2 gigs a month and that's from using pandora to stream audio on my way to work and back.

Thanks

It's the telcos' fault for offering an unlimited service. The consumer is being punished for corporate incompetence. It's the American Way.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
    Because tethering typically uses FAR more data than what the phone would use by itself.

Seriously, you people who try to "hide" and tether when it's not part of your plan are clogging up the networks for the rest of us, including the ones who legitimately pay for tethering service.

Thanks

They keep messing around I can see the hackers doing what they done to Sony a few month back, but all this is bull, I really hope the gov gets involved in this and they stop it because the unlimted plan is complete false advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by iKillYou View Post
    That because most of the people here in the US are a buncha squares who just accept the cards they are dealt instead of getting up and going to a different table!
    Lol

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Its sad to say they can govern our use of data. I really hope Sprint doesn't get rid of their unlimited plan and the iphone will come to that carrier.

This is what I had to do to get unlimited data...I got a Clearwireless 4G hotspot. Clear isn't the great company but at least its unlimited and since I travel a lot. There is a lot of down time I like to watch youtube video's etc......and trust me 2GB isn't going to cut it.

Thanks

I feel that someone is going to be able to figure out how to avoid whatever these carriers are using to detect if someone is tethering legitimately or not.

It's a damn shame that someone will have to do so in the first place.

iPhone? More like MyPhone HeavyD4's Avatar
    Thanks

Don't get me wrong I hate that these companies think they still own ur device even after u buy it and own u 2. But we all hate it but we all still buy there products, this is also a reason y the dev teams need to stop with the social network beefin with each other n stick together to out smart these companies

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 0Milk0 View Post
    I agree 100%
    100% agree also sprint iPhone sold , it is awe full after 7 years for me on AT&T I'll switch in a heartbeat! I'm seriously thinking about an evo type phone on sprint!

That's wierd I pay 79.99 unlimited everything Internet , text , voice for my sons phone where did u come up with that?
    Last edited by trialnterror; 08-10-2011 at 07:32 PM.

Thanks
    It's the only way to get unlimited data with Sprint. $69.99 Unlimited text and data 450 anytime minutes. Call any cell phone in US unlimited. Extra $10 if you get a 4G phone. Even if you don't have 4G coverage.