+ Reply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Verizon Joins AT&T in Effort to Stop Tethering Via Jailbreak Apps

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I just got hit with the text telling me i have to pay an extra $45 a month now! I use about 3GB of data a month on my phone
    jl1
    Thanks

I just got hit with the text telling me i have to pay an extra $45 a month now! I use about 3GB of data a month on my phone and have the 2GB data plan. Honestly i'm not even tethering my data plan, I use my MyWi to tether to WiFi because i don't have a USB adapter or built in adapter on my PC. The 3GB i use is being used from my phone! I got screwed! My bill before any overages is about $100 a month. I think 4GB of data should be the standard data plan. This phone does so much online with pix messaging, safari, Uploading pics, YouTube etc. How could they think 2GB is enough?

Green Apple
    Thanks

i think if the companies focused more on upgrading their equipment instead of worrying how much data is being used, none of this would be an issue.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

You say "illegal tethering" like it's some kind of offense punishable by law. There is no law against tethering.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I really don't understand all the crying about this. I remember a time where people were paying $59 for an aircard for Internet connectivity as well as $29.99 for the data package on your smartphone. And now there's an provided way of using your mobile device to do the same thing that an air card was required to do and cost cut in half. It makes perfect business since to charge for tethering due to the loss of aircard and hot spot sales, and makes perfect consumer since because your not handling two different devices for more money than needed. Just like you hate people hopping on your wi-fi in your home, it's the same for the carriers. Simple as that.
    -= Formally known as SiLeNtKiLLa =-

Thanks

i agree with you waldo. Its stupid enough for us to have to pay for not unlimited data in the first place..now we cant use that internet for whatever we want? Pft.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Antman217's Avatar
    Thanks

I am officially done with jailbreaking. iOS 5 has so many new features that I used to jailbreak for. Only thing I needed jailbreak for was tethering and cracked app. As for cracked apps I have deleted all of them and officially purchased all of the ones I wanted to keep. I'm going legal (at least for apps) and as for the tethering, I barely used it anyways and I've noticed that tons of places are starting to get free wi-fi in their stores and restaurants so I won't be missing it anyways. I've been using iOS 5 beta and have found it very nice even without the jailbreak so I think I will be fine with a stock iPhone. (Maybe until iOS 5 gets untethered jailbreak)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Antman217 View Post
    I am officially done with jailbreaking. iOS 5 has so many new features that I used to jailbreak for. Only thing I needed jailbreak for was tethering and cracked app. As for cracked apps I have deleted all of them and officially purchased all of the ones I wanted to keep. I'm going legal (at least for apps) and as for the tethering, I barely used it anyways and I've noticed that tons of places are starting to get free wi-fi in their stores and restaurants so I won't be missing it anyways. I've been using iOS 5 beta and have found it very nice even without the jailbreak so I think I will be fine with a stock iPhone. (Maybe until iOS 5 gets untethered jailbreak)
    Completely agreed other than BiteSMS is a must have.
    -= Formally known as SiLeNtKiLLa =-

Thanks

I still find it stunning that people think that tethering is acceptable over networks that were never designed for it.
    I am only surprised that they allowed it and streaming in the first place.
    And people wonder why they have dropped calls?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgunaca View Post
    You say "illegal tethering" like it's some kind of offense punishable by law. There is no law against tethering.
    Said it before on here and I will say it again. Go ahead and change my unlimited data plan. Breach of contract and I can cancel without early termination fees. So thanks for the 3 iPhones on my plan I can sell unlocked/jailbroke. Good job! Kudos for you VZW/AT&T. May not seem like a big lose for ya but the $2,500/yr. you get off me can go somewhere else now. TADA!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    I still find it stupid that Americans have to pay extra to tether their phone in the first place. They're paying for a certain amount of data, so don't punish them for how they use it
    +1

Banned
    Thanks

That's because most people here in the US are a buncha squares who just roll over and cause ***** to be the way it is.

Thanks

I dont even use MyWi. I use PDANET and has the option of hiding the usage. I dont use it much but when I do I make sure it has the Hide Usage enabled.

Livin the iPhone Life TheOrioles33's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iKillYou View Post
    That's because most people here in the US are a buncha squares who just roll over and cause ***** to be the way it is.
    Americans (myself included) are more round than square.
    MacBook Pro i7
    Dell XPS

iPhone? More like MyPhone Painkiller006's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    I wouldn't goto Sprint, slow ***** network. My iPhone 4 download on 3G was faster than my buddies EVO 4G on there whatever 4G network they call it "Winmax" or whatever.
    Yeah right, my Evo 3D is a heck of a lot faster then the iPhone 4 when downloading anything. You probably have crappy service in your area or don't even have Wimax at all.

Quote Originally Posted by theorioles33 View Post
    americans (myself included) are more round than square. Xd
    lol

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aimetti View Post
    wow man , your oblivious.
    you're*

Quote Originally Posted by seph213 View Post
    How do they know if your tethering or not ?

how can they know if your tethering or not ?
    you're*

Quote Originally Posted by brianiino View Post
    GREAT idea! That or have a hack that when your tethering a giant middle finger pops up on all AT&T's office computer monitors?
    you're*

My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Thanks

Not that it matters at this point, but from I have been reading, Verizon is going to just reroute users who are tethering two a page that advertises their tethering packages. You will not be able to tether, but they aren't going to change your plan. I guess we will all find out soon.

Livin the iPhone Life TheOrioles33's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Painkiller006 View Post
    Yeah right, my Evo 3D is a heck of a lot faster then the iPhone 4 when downloading anything. You probably have crappy service in your area or don't even have Wimax at all.
    Thats definetly the case. My brothers EVO get around 12mbps compared to my 3mpbs on 3G.

Location! Location! Location!
    MacBook Pro i7
    Dell XPS

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I still find it stupid that Americans have to pay extra to tether their phone in the first place. They're paying for a certain amount of data, so don't punish them for how they use it
    I totally agree. It's double-dipping as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by freddiepr View Post
    Desperately waitng for the Sprint iPhone.... Real unlimited plan.
    And that's what many people said about Verizon too and look how that changed.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 484 Posts

took the words outta' my mouth bro. I haven't got a notice from att yet but this is just ridiculous for them to change our plans automatically