+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iomega SuperHero Dock for iPhone Provides iTunes-Free Backup

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
The push to make iPhones, iPads and all Apple's portables, iTunes and desktop independent is nothing new to those closely following Apple's iCloud efforts. However, a new iPhone dock from
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Iomega SuperHero Dock for iPhone Provides iTunes-Free Backup

The push to make iPhones, iPads and all Apple's portables, iTunes and desktop independent is nothing new to those closely following Apple's iCloud efforts. However, a new iPhone dock from Iomega provides a slightly different take on cordless backup.

The Iomega SuperHero looks like a normal iPhone dock, but a SDHC card slot allows users to backup their contacts, photos and charge their device. Users must first download a free app from the App Store to make everything work, but from that point on everything is plug and play.

The $69.99 device can be found as low as $39.99, but still offers capabilities that simply plugging a device into a computer offers. However, it could prove useful in closed environments like offices or schools where iTunes is more likely to be unavailable. Also, it is another place fore contacts and photos to be stored in case a users phone and computer happen to die at the same time.

If that every happens to anyone, they may be the unluckiest gadgeteer in the world.

*Incessant knocking of wood*

Source: TUAW

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

3 years ago this would have been nice. Now, I'd rather wait for iOS5 with iCloud.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
    3 years ago this would have been nice. Now, I'd rather wait for iOS5 with iCloud.
    Agreed

Thanks

Yes this is a little too late, kinda like stupid onstar in your car when everyone carries cell phones in the pockets.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rawrjoeynashomg View Post
    Agreed
    And I bet 3 years ago Apple didnt allow this

iPhone? More like MyPhone cjgonzales1900's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slmchrist View Post
    Yes this is a little too late, kinda like stupid onstar in your car when everyone carries cell phones in the pockets.
    Yea but the only thing is. This device does the same thing as the computer does just plug it and back it up. On star compared to a cell phone in a crash works a whole lot better.
    "Answering 1 Question at a Time."

iPhone 4: 32GB iOS 4.1 JB
    MacBook Pro 13.3": 2.26ghz/4GB/160GB SL 10.6.5
    iMac 21.5": 3.06ghz/4GB/500GB SL 10.6.5

Thanks

Seriously, Phil? You really need to proofread your posts, man. The amount of spelling and punctuation errors in this article should be enough to ensure that you never again recieve another paycheck for your writing. I am disgusted that you consider yourself a journalist.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BeachLivin88 View Post
    Seriously, Phil? You really need to proofread your posts, man. The amount of spelling and punctuation errors in this article should be enough to ensure that you never again recieve another paycheck for your writing. I am disgusted that you consider yourself a journalist.
    Bro, chill. Just because he messed up a little bit doesn't mean he's a bad journalist. I'm gonna assume he was distracted or something.

Meanwhile, I've heard of this dock thing before, like a year ago... by the same company... I don't think it's new...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This dock isn't new, it has been around and for sale for several months. Engadget even wrote a review for it back on January 4th.

But with iOS 5 you will be able to use this to backup your phone, plus give you a nice dock for syncing away from your computer.