+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Compass for Maps Brings Compass to Maps.app

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Recently, ModMyi covered that a newly released tweak called Speed for Maps gave the ability to display your speed while inside the Maps.app on your device. Not only is this
    Thanks

Default Compass for Maps Brings Compass to Maps.app

Recently, ModMyi covered that a newly released tweak called Speed for Maps gave the ability to display your speed while inside the Maps.app on your device. Not only is this tweak simple, but it is also useful and well worth a download. Evan Coleman, the developer of Speed for Maps, hit the head on the nail again by releasing Compass for Maps on Cydia.

Like its predecessor, Compass for Maps is also a simple tweak that could make your Maps.app much more handy. Upon installing Compass for Maps, a little compass appears on the bottom of your map screen and tells you what direction you're going. There are no options to configure with the exception of the "Enable" button within the Settings.app.

The description in Cydia dually noted that Compass for Maps is also compatible with its partner, Speed for Maps, and it works wonderfully together. It is also free and available now in Cydia - so check it out! It requires an iPhone with a compass (iPhone 3GS and 4 or later) with a firmware 4.0+ (It works on iOS 5 beta 5 - use at your own risk on a beta firmware. Be aware of the consequences and possible problems with using applications or tweaks that may not be fully supported on the iOS 5 beta firmware).

Although it says just iPhone, I'm can't imagine why it wouldn't work on another device that has a compass, such as the iPad 2. If anyone tests it on any other device(s) that have a compass and it works or does not, let us know.

Note: PreferenceLoader is not currently supported on the iOS 5 beta - this means, you will not be able to configure any settings in the Settings.app for any of your Cydia applications that have tabs (i.e. you can't turn off Compass for Maps in the Settings.app tab). This applies to any current applications or tweaks installed on the any of the iOS 5 betas that have settings tabs in the Settings.app.

Name: Compass for Maps
    Author: Evan Coleman
    Version: 1.0
    Price: Free

Source(s): Cydia
    Last edited by Joshua Tucker; 08-09-2011 at 10:47 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,217 Times in 588 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Tucker View Post
    Note: PreferenceLoader is not currently supported on the iOS 5 beta - this means, you will not be able to configure any settings in the Settings.app for any of your Cydia applications that have tabs (i.e. you can't turn off Compass for Maps in the Settings.app tab). This applies to any current applications or tweaks installed on the any of the iOS 5 betas that have settings tabs in the Settings.app.
    ha...
    i have prefs in my settings app :P

figured it out myself too...
    pretty simple.

nice tweak btw
    Last edited by PathKiller29; 08-09-2011 at 11:27 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PathKiller29 View Post
    ha...
    i have prefs in my settings app :P

figured it out myself too...
    pretty simple.

nice tweak btw
    Sure, however it is done unofficially.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Tucker View Post
    Sure, however it is done unofficially.
    Good enough for me

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

This and speed are nice tweaks to the stock maps app. Thanks.

An option to display degrees would be nice.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    An option to display degrees would be nice.
    That's a really excellent idea actually. If I get a hold of him, I'll definitely suggest that to him.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Mista Brothason's Avatar
    Thanks

What I think would be nice (unless this is what Mes is referring to) would be to have the co-ordinates like the latitude and the longitude and the option to copy that data to the clipboard as a google maps link and the actual universal raw data

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

@Mista Brothason .... another idea. Maybe just pressing the Compass copies the data to the clipboard. No pop-up, no intrusions, no notification needed.

Thanks

While speed is a great addition, Maps already has a form of compass integration (double-tap the "locate" button and the map will rotate to orient itself in regards to your field of view). The iPad then imposes a old-school compass quadrant on the corner of the map, but the iPhone doesn't.

It'd be great if this was more "integrated" into the existing functionality... but it's great to have FOSS tweaks like this. Exact coordinates (when available) and exact bearings would be great features.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I think this is an awesome tweak.

Thanks

Both add-ons are perfect for the map app. Great job thanks for taking time to make tweaks and ect..... For us Jailbreakers....

Thanks
    I also think the degrees would be a great addition. Possibly by making the letter slightly
    Smaller and adding the degrees even smaller underneath. All in the same circle.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

On the ipad2 it works (the speedometer does not), but the location of the "compass" is awkward: sort of in the middle of the screen rather than close to a corner. One can only hope for improvements in future versions.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpotoso View Post
    On the ipad2 it works (the speedometer does not), but the location of the "compass" is awkward: sort of in the middle of the screen rather than close to a corner. One can only hope for improvements in future versions.
    well i assume that because it was built for the iPhone
    these thing don't position themselves automatically

try imagining if u had an iPhone centered on ur screen.
    does the "compass" look like it would be in the corner of the iPhone screen?

Thanks
    This tweak and "Speed for Maps" are wonderful, simple additions to the Maps.app. It's great that they can work side by side. My request for Evan is to bundle them into a single tweak, such that you tap the icon and it switches from compass to speed.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

On my 3GS, with the Compass for Maps activated it constantly displays the "interference" warning and asks to move the phone in a figure 8. Turn off the compass in settings and it goes away. The Speed for Maps it doesn't do this. BUT, it was well worth the money

iPhone? More like MyPhone mastuul's Avatar
    Thanks

Use this just in case you never learned which way is which on a map.

iPhone? More like MyPhone donaglia's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mista Brothason View Post
    What I think would be nice (unless this is what Mes is referring to) would be to have the co-ordinates like the latitude and the longitude and the option to copy that data to the clipboard as a google maps link and the actual universal raw data
    ...I quote and, if could be possible, cause I often use only utm coordinates,it would be fantastic if we could switch one to another!