+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Cracking Down on Developers Selling iOS 5 beta

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default Apple Cracking Down on Developers Selling iOS 5 beta

Apple has apparently started to crack down on developers who sell early beta versions of iOS 5 to non-developers. According to a report by Karthikk, Apple has identified certain developers who have been selling UDID slots to the general public. Apple has started to close developer accounts that have been caught selling iOS 5 beta software to unauthorized personnel.

Many developers have already received an email from Apple informing them that their account has been banned from the developer’s program.

According to Karthikk, “Apple has started closing the developer accounts for selling the slots and also, have flagged the UDIDs associated with that dev account, thus making the iOS 5 device unusable.” When Apple locks out an iDevice, it will enter into the initial setup mode and ask you to connect the device to iTunes. At this point the iDevice has essentially been bricked. If this happens, the device must be downgraded to iOS 4.3.

There are quite a few websites willing to sell anyone with $10 a copy of iOS 5 beta. These sites openly advertise on the internet and are an easy target for Apple to go after and shut down.

Every developer is provided 100 UDID (Unique Device Identifier) slots so they can beta test their software using iOS 5 beta. Apple does not require developers to register every device that they test software on. It seems unlikely that Apple would deactivate iDevices running iOS 5 beta without knowing exactly who is legitimately using the software.

Because iOS 5 is still in development, Apple doesn’t want the general public using the software until it is ready to be released. If too many people get a bad impression of the beta version of iOS 5, then it could have an adverse effect on Apple’s bottom line. Apple is expected to release iOS 5 in September along side iCloud, and possibly the fifth-generation iPhone as well.

Source: Karthikk

Thanks

If they close SB's account. I'm personally flying down to Cupertino and beating the **** out of Stevie Jobs.

Banned
    Thanks

I always told ya crApple are pricks and this just proves it even more.

Thanks

UDID slots are provided to devs with very specific license terms.
    They're intended to allow devs to test their code on a wide variety of devices.
    100 slots is enough to ensure that devs are able to deploy their software for in-house testing to their hearts' content.

The terms of use EXPLICITLY SAY YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO SELL THEM. How can Apple do that? Because UDID slots aren't a product or a commodity that Apple sells to developers. Rather, they are a service that Apple provides to the developer as part of the whole kit and caboodle of a full Developer registration fee.

People who resell UDID slots to third parties are either confused about the contract they agreed to, or else they are deliberately lying (possibly some self-delusion). The "stuff" they're selling is a service proprietary to, and exclusively owned by Apple. Piss off Apple, and the contract dissolves and you're left with the same nothing you had before.

(Now.... whether or not iPhone developers should sign on to those nutty Apple terms in the first place is another story. If Apple goes after JB devs, on the grounds that they too are violating licensing terms it could get ugly. But that's not even remotely close to what's being described here.)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to raduga For This Useful Post:

dhamien (08-06-2011), iglvz.x (08-05-2011), sziklassy (08-06-2011)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    I always told ya crApple are pricks and this just proves it even more.
    Developers agree to a contract/terms of service. If you break the contract, you shouldn't be surprised if Apple does something about it. Simple as that.
    Last edited by iglvz.x; 08-05-2011 at 09:28 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to iglvz.x For This Useful Post:

dhamien (08-06-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,328 Times in 722 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iglvz.x View Post
    Developers agree to a contract/terms of service. If you break the contract, you shouldn't be surprised if Apple does something about it. Simple as that.
    Agreed. I don't see why it's so hard for people to understand that

Thanks

If the contract is unreasonable, or contains hidden little sneaky "gotchas" there may be grounds for dispute. I.E. cellular service plans that are marketed and promoted as "Unlimited!" but which are very much limited and subject to the whims of the provider.

Would it be reasonable for developers (whose lives and livelihoods depend on very careful reading and writing of license agreements!) to be so badly confused as to the purpose of the Apple Developer Program? Does Apple market it as a "$$$make money fast$$$" scheme with loosely stated principles?
    Last edited by raduga; 08-05-2011 at 09:38 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me korin125's Avatar
    Thanks

Oh no! iModZone!

iPhone? More like MyPhone iFrosty's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    If they close SB's account. I'm personally flying down to Cupertino and beating the **** out of Stevie Jobs.
    Apparently my first msg didnt post....
    // Or it did but wouldnt show

but The majority of people who experienced this and reported it were people who were still on iOS b1-2 which is no longer active. So I personally dont think its as widespread as this story has made it seem to be.

Edit:

This issue has been named "Betageddon" on the apple forums
    Last edited by iFrosty; 08-05-2011 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Double post FAIL on MMi's behalf :)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to iFrosty For This Useful Post:

raduga (08-05-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

thank u its just as simple as that!!! dot slander beak apples great name.

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Let me know the price of the flight...
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

iPhone? More like MyPhone iFrosty's Avatar
    Thanks

Dont Forget to Bring a Towel!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

meh, you dont need a registered udid to install and activate betas anyways.

miPhone's better than yours GellBrake'rrrr's Avatar
    Thanks

Hit me up if you decide to go. I refuse to let Jobs' shiny head antics to betray my hero.

Quote Originally Posted by KiidTee View Post
    thank u its just as simple as that!!! dot slander beak apples great name.
    come again..... didn't quite get your point.
    Last edited by GellBrake'rrrr; 08-05-2011 at 11:52 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Lemme guess, you typed this in your iPhone iPod touch iPad or Mac...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Bro, i have a jailbreaker friend (not so close friend) who use to jailbreak some iphones etc.. he wanter to deal me with this...
    " he has an iphone 3gs 8gig with iOs of 4.3.1 and he wanted to swap my iphone 3gs 16gig with iOs of 4.3.4..
    i need your help guys.. . its bothering me because of the memory space 8gig vs. 16gig.. will i accept the offer or not? thanks.. plss... you can email me @ [email protected] or may add me in friendster.. thanks.. T_T

Thanks

so many idiots.....to few comets !!!

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bride03 View Post
    Bro, i have a jailbreaker friend (not so close friend) who use to jailbreak some iphones etc.. he wanter to deal me with this...
    " he has an iphone 3gs 8gig with iOs of 4.3.1 and he wanted to swap my iphone 3gs 16gig with iOs of 4.3.4..
    i need your help guys.. . its bothering me because of the memory space 8gig vs. 16gig.. will i accept the offer or not? thanks.. plss... you can email me @ [email protected] or may add me in friendster.. thanks.. T_T
    Whats the problem? His is smaller and yours is larger so whats the question? Isn't it obvious?

Thanks

I Am With U Bro
    Sign by Danasoft - Get Your Free Sign

The Family iPhone 2G , iPhone 3G ,Iphone 3Gs , Iphone 4
    13" MacBook ( Black )

Thanks
    Thanked 1,717 Times in 1,170 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bride03 View Post
    Off-topic much? Find a different thread to ask these questions in