Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 5 Prototypes Secretly being Tested by Wireless Carriers

Default iPhone 5 Prototypes Secretly being Tested by Wireless Carriers

Apparently, Apple has sent out iPhone 5 prototypes to high-level wireless carrier employees for testing. Security is so tight it would seem, that the phones are being sent in special, highly secure boxes to ensure that no one gets a look inside before Apple has a chance to unveil them. Apple doesn’t want another Gizmodo incident on their hands.

According to the Guardian, “The next iPhones go for their testing inside locked and sealed boxes so that the carriers can carry out checks on their network compatibility in their labs. It's very high security, as you could guess; my understanding is that barely anyone inside the carriers gets to open those boxes, and even when they do the hardware is encased in a dummy body which means there's no clue to what the actual phone will do.”

When Apple tested the iPhone 4, it was disguised to look like an iPhone 3GS. Even if anyone does manage to spot one of these iPhones, you can bet that it will not look anything like the finished model. Judging from Apple’s past experiences, it would be safe to assume that the current models being tested probably bear a strong resemblance to an ordinary iPhone 4.

It’s not uncommon for wireless carriers to do extensive field-testing before launching new phone models. Apple especially doesn’t want another Antennagate on their hands when the iPhone 5 is released.

The Guardian also says, “You can bet that Apple has come up with some sneaky scheme that would instantly identify any leak of a phone photo from any of those testing labs; and you wouldn't want to be the carrier whose employee had done so.”

The good new is that Apple is currently testing the iPhone 5 in the wild, which is a strong indication that it be released sooner rather than later. The latest rumors point to mid-September launch date, but we won’t know anything for sure until Apple holds it’s annual Special Event in September. Are you looking forward to it as much as I am?

Source: Guardian

i wanna test it
    iPhone 4 Verizon

Untethered jailbroken w/ Sn0wbreeze

I wonder what would happen if they find something wrong with it. How long would it be delayed?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Outrager View Post
    I wonder what would happen if they find something wrong with it. How long would it be delayed?
    well there was the white iphone 4....

iPhone? More like MyPhone zYxMa's Avatar
    Thanks

So they tested iPhone 4 in an iPhone 3GS plastic case? How could they possibly know about the antenna issue or rather Death Grip?!

Why so secret?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to zYxMa For This Useful Post:

that_girl (08-02-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

It's gonna be really annoying to alot of people if all this "secret" testing is on a phone that looks exactly the same as the iPhone 4.

But then again the mere fact that they don't even want the look of the phone exposed would suggest a possible redesign.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

If this is factual, I don;t understand the secrecy. The previous phone got leaked months in advance, ended up selling better than any of their previous phones, and nothing bad actually happened. What on earth COULD happen if specs were leaked? Specs from other phones are leaked weeks/months in advance all the time/ What's the big deal?

how can they test it properly if it's not the semi-finished product? (in it's own casing)

Are you looking forward to it as much as I am?
    yes, I seem to skip a generation of the iPhone I jumped from a iPhone 2G to a 3Gs so this time it will be from a 3Gs to a 5
    Last edited by dsg; 08-02-2011 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zYxMa View Post
    So they tested iPhone 4 in an iPhone 3GS plastic case? How could they possibly know about the antenna issue or rather Death Grip?!

Why so secret?
    Because that is what Apple does. Jobs has always been extremely secretive with his stuff. It adds to the appeal or media build-up of the product release.

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    If this is factual, I don;t understand the secrecy. The previous phone got leaked months in advance, ended up selling better than any of their previous phones, and nothing bad actually happened. What on earth COULD happen if specs were leaked? Specs from other phones are leaked weeks/months in advance all the time/ What's the big deal?
    To build suspense so all the suckers get suckered to buy and spend more and more money

Thanks

Were getting closer ladies and gents.
    I have always loved the hype...

Quote Originally Posted by fatalcrixer View Post
    To build suspense so all the suckers get suckered to buy and spend more and more money
    To each is own bro

iPhone? More like MyPhone SwatPac's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple is very stupid if they don't want "another Gizmodo incident" to happen. That was a whole bunch of free publicity for the iPhone 4. If I was one of the big dogs at Apple, I would suggest we "lose" or "leak" every upcoming model a few weeks before release to create some hype for it.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Someone want to go on a "Mission Impossible"?! *sings theme song*

Quote Originally Posted by SwatPac View Post
    Apple is very stupid if they don't want "another Gizmodo incident" to happen. That was a whole bunch of free publicity for the iPhone 4. If I was one of the big dogs at Apple, I would suggest we "lose" or "leak" every upcoming model a few weeks before release to create some hype for it.
    You misunderstand.
    Being a "big dog" at Apple basically means that your liver is a good match for Steve's.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by raduga View Post
    You misunderstand.
    Being a "big dog" at Apple basically means that your liver is a good match for Steve's.
    Huh? What a stupid comment

17. The Following User Says Thank You to psilocybin For This Useful Post:

raduga (08-03-2011)

Thanks

can somebody leave one at a bar? Please

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Someone want to go on a "Mission Impossible"?! *sings theme song*
    I'll take that mission
    Quote Originally Posted by ikesmasher View Post
    that was officially the scariest thing you have ever said str4y.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho paco View Post
    Dude T.M.I

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Don't think Apple will be making the same mistake twice........right?

By all accounts they've probably called in the National Guard to protect whoever is doing the testing since Apple treats every imminent product launch like the friggin' Cuban Missile Crisis.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Good point!
    Quote Originally Posted by zYxMa View Post

Why so secret?

not so secret if there's secret rumor reports bout it... just saying...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast