+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Shaw Wu: iPhone 5 Could See Bigger Design Upgrade Than Expected

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by Truckerbear I am with you. It really irks me that AT&T talks up all this 4G crap when there are still many rural areas that don't even
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Truckerbear View Post
    I am with you. It really irks me that AT&T talks up all this 4G crap when there are still many rural areas that don't even have 3G. Shouldn't you make sure your all 3G before starting 4G??? I only get 10-15kb downloads on EDGE and it sucks.. If the same iPhone comes to Verizon then I am trading in my Droid X for an iPhone 5 on Verizon. Its a sad day that a CDMA provider is making a GSM provider look bad in the rural areas at least!
    As a trucker I'd think you'd know this, but
    max range of a GSM tower: 35 kilometres (22 mi)
    max range of a CDMA tower: ~ 50-70 km (30-45 mi)
    Cell site - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can get wider coverage, cheaper with CDMA; even if its not as good.

_____
    Rural vs Urban is a question of ROI. Where there are more subscribers they get more reliable revenues. Lifelines to people out in the boonies (and people driving through the boonies) are a valuable public service but also a huge loss-leader. Advertising awesome new 4G crap helps the corporate bottom line, even if it does nothing for the rural customers (and nothing for most urban customers who aren't lucky enough to live within the magical 4G bubble).

iPhone? More like MyPhone Truckerbear's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by raduga View Post
    As a trucker I'd think you'd know this, but
    max range of a GSM tower: 35 kilometres (22 mi)
    max range of a CDMA tower: ~ 50-70 km (30-45 mi)
    Cell site - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can get wider coverage, cheaper with CDMA; even if its not as good.

_____
    Rural vs Urban is a question of ROI. Where there are more subscribers they get more reliable revenues. Lifelines to people out in the boonies (and people driving through the boonies) are a valuable public service but also a huge loss-leader. Advertising awesome new 4G crap helps the corporate bottom line, even if it does nothing for the rural customers (and nothing for most urban customers who aren't lucky enough to live within the magical 4G bubble).
    Not a trucker. I actually work for Apple but thanks for making assumptions about me.
    8 gig iPhone Edge 2G (first day iPhone): UNLKD/JB using bootneuter and blackra1n.
    8 gig iPhone 3G (first day iPhone): UNLKD/JB using Whited00r CFW
    16 gig iPhone 3GS (new bootrom): UNLKD/JB using ultrasn0w/limera1n.
    16 gig Wifi iPad first day iPad JB using greenpois0n.
    32 gig Wifi/3G iPad first day iPad UNLKD/JB using greenpois0n.
    32 gig iPhone 4(first day iPhone): UNLKD/JB using ultrasn0w/greenpois0n
    Apps: 157 installed 25 developed.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Go Gators's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ibfr33k View Post
    I'm not too worried about the 4G part of the iPhone 5. Where I live, we don't even have 3G. We barely even have Edge. When the download speed tops out at 4KB/sec with no sign of anything faster, all the phones that have the hardware to do so don't seem too important.
    Do you live on the moon? Sorry bro, just kidding! That does suck that you cant even get Edge.
    Last edited by Go Gators; 08-02-2011 at 05:54 PM.

Thanks

i def would like 4g on my phone,live in nyc here and would like a faster speed for my iphone

Thanks

My jailbreak experience on my 3GS has been buggy to say the least. Programs crashing all the time, slow, etc. - all of which my wife's 3GS does not have issues with at all.

I for one am super excited about iOS 5 with several "jailbreak" features implemented as stock, which likely means they'll work better and be more stable. Also going from 256MB RAM to the (rumored) 1GB RAM on iP5 should be a HUGE help. So bring on the new phone! Just please don't make it AS round as the 3GS!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

From the dimensions of the leaked cases, I'd guess that the new iPhone won't have a 4" screen, but something more like 4.3".
    I actually find that rather disappointing and I may have to stick with the iPhone 4. I don't really want a ginormous phone. For a TV, I can understand bigger is better, because it just sits there, you don't carry it, its weight and bulk are irrelevant. But for a phone, I'd prefer it small, something I can slip into my pants pocket and not constantly feel its bulk.

Although judging by the trend with other manufacturers toward larger screens, I think I'm in the minority. Maybe someday we'll all be cramming 7" tablet-sized phones into our pockets.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Truckerbear View Post
    Not a trucker. I actually work for Apple but thanks for making assumptions about me.
    You're welcome.
    Now, please, some fresh leaks!

The rumors and whispers are all gone stale.
    I won't tell Steve, promise

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
    ...I for one am super excited about iOS 5 with several "jailbreak" features implemented as stock, which likely means they'll work better and be more stable...
    The last time I got excited about "jailbreak" features being implemented into iOS, we ended up with folders, the task switcher and tethering - what jokes those were. The task switcher quickly becomes useless unless you jailbreak and enhance it with something like SwitcherMod, folders need FolderEnhancer to even be worthwhile, and don't even get me started on tethering...

I'm sorry, but I find it very hard to get excited anymore about features Apple claims to be adding, even if they are currently available via jailbreak, because I know full well that they will be so ridiculously limited that there really is no point in adding them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rokesomesmeefer View Post
    The last time I got excited about "jailbreak" features being implemented into iOS, we ended up with folders, the task switcher and tethering - what jokes those were. The task switcher quickly becomes useless unless you jailbreak and enhance it with something like SwitcherMod, folders need FolderEnhancer to even be worthwhile, and don't even get me started on tethering...

I'm sorry, but I find it very hard to get excited anymore about features Apple claims to be adding, even if they are currently available via jailbreak, because I know full well that they will be so ridiculously limited that there really is no point in adding them.
    Well I was specifically thinking of the notification center, and iOS Messenger. Now granted there are many messaging apps that don't require JB, indeed my wife and I use WhatsApp and before that PingChat. However both of those have been buggy and extremely slow when compared to the stock SMS app. So having this new integrated feature where ALL iOS users can ALL message one another without having to use up texts, and the fact that it will likely run just as well as the stock SMS app, is great news for us.

And while my phone is JB'd I don't have anything to modify the stock app switcher or folder functions. Haven't really seen the need to change it. And from what I've seen the Notification Center will be a nice addition, which will be something we won't have to pay extra for unlike the commonly-used current JB versions (LockInfo or whatever it's called, and the like).

Thanks

more thinner....edge to edge display.....8mp camera.....dedicated camera button.....much like ipod touch 4......much like iphone 4.....touch home button(not physical)....problem to jailbreakers....Blah blah blah blah......
    My Twitter : @cosmi3_

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

this has nothing to do with the topic although i do love cheese haha, but around a year or two ago i was jailbreak my iPhone and a friends i think i was using limera1n and trying to be a smart arse i thought i could jailbreak to phone at the same time, so i ran 2 set of the programs and while one was in the middle of the process the programs crashed the screen was white on my iPhone my friends just needed restoring then my screen went off and didn't ever come back on i tried dfu mode ect but the problems is the computer never detects it and it doesn't even boot partly so im here a year or 2 later with my iPhone 4 wondering it i could possibly fix it, iv also noticed now that the battery does charge and the screen goes back for a couple of seconds then turns off any ideas ? and i doubt i could upload the software onto the phone manualy

Thanks

^^^ wtf?? Use some punctuation, and make your own thread in the appropriate forum (not in a MMi news article thread).

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Iphone 5

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd View Post
    Iphone 5
    What makes you think that's it?

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Some hardware things I would like to see (that are not crazy requests - well, they may be for APPLE)

1. Micro sdhc card slot. Would be great to be able to add memory at your leisure.
    2. Higher battery capacity, or a removable battery. As easy as it is to remove the current iPhone 4 back (literally just remove two screws and there you go) there is no reason for them not to do this if they choose to use current battery tech.
    3. Slightly larger screen. I use an EVO and iPhone 4 daily. The EVO is great for screen real-estate, but the iPhone is simply gorgeous. The biggest limit is likely software having to be revamped if they changed the pixel density (outside of simply increasing it by a factor of one).
    4. Faster CPU. The competition basically demands it. All current gen phones from the competition are multi-core. We are well into dual core models, and byt the time this phone launches we may even be getting into quad cores. Multi-core can also translate into better battery life.

Software changes:
    1. Allowing booting of Android. Macs already allow (and virtually promote) using windows or other operating systems. Why can't it be so for Android?
    2. Allowing dragging and dropping. I HATE having to sync to itunes. This is just so unnecessary. Drag and drop works fine for desktop OS's and even Android. Why should I have to sync all of my data. Wireless sync is a band-aid as far as I am concerned.
    3. More customization. That is the Android user's number one pet peeve. One can having nothing more out of the box with Apple than a 4x4 (inc. dock) grid. Stock Android is similar to this, but it is customizable by widgets (and no, I am not referring to the crappy drop-down widgets in iOS 5, though it's a start).

Quite frankly, I don't think any of those items are so outlandish that they cannot be done. Likely, Apple just doesn't WANT to do them for one reason or another (I am sure many reasons are legitimate). At some point though, changing the design, upping megapixels, etc. just gets old. The phone really does take amazing pics/video, better than almost any other smartphone on the market. 32GB of storage is likely enough for the vast majority of users. Give us REAL upgrades. Even if they are just software, users will accept them and enjoy them with open arms.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I agree that I would like all your requests, but I think most are pretty crazy for Apple.

1. Micro SDHC slot: Why allow the consumer to add memory inexpensively when you can make them pay a premium for it? I think this would never happen. They've never had a Micro SDHC slot in any iPod or iPhone and they're not about to start. Apple wants all the profits for additional memory, they don't want the profits going to Sandisk, Transcend, or whoever else makes MicroSDHC.
    2. Higher capacity battery could happen, and might. Removable battery, it would never happen. Consumers don't avoid the iPhone due to its irreplaceable battery, and instead, most will pay Apple a premium to have their battery replaced. Why would Apple change this? It would remove yet another source of revenue. No other iPod/iPhone has a user replaceable battery so I really don't think they will start.
    3. Larger screen - it's all but confirmed that the iPhone 5 will have an edge-to-edge screen with very small bezel. Judging by the size of the leaked case photos and peoples' estimation that the new iPhone will be nearly 1/2" longer and wider, it will have EVO-like dimensions. I think it's going to have MUCH larger than the rumored 4" screen. I expect 4.3" or maybe 4.5".
    4. Faster CPU, I think it's a given.

1. They'll never officially allow dual booting of Android. Hackers may figure it out, but it'll never be officially endorsed by Apple. Apple wants the iPhone ridiculously over-secured, much more than even Mac OS. After all, why would they allow the iPhone to run someone else's OS when they don't even allow it to run previous versions of iOS? iOS5 will prove to be even more restrictive than iOS4, as you won't even be able to install older versions of iOS5 via SHSH blob replay attacks.
    2. I think you'll be stuck with iTunes. Other companies may be more flexible with how you get media onto the device, but Apple has always been very strict. They'll never change this. BTW, there are 3rd party solutions such as Dopisp.
    3. I think eventually, Apple may have to support widgets and live wallpapers. People love this about Android. Maybe in iOS 6.

As much as I agree with what you'd like to see, some of those things I think are unrealistic... for Apple. Realistic for HTC or Samsung, sure, but will never happen at Apple unless there are major changes in their product design philosophy. However, considering Apple sells more smartphones than any other company and their stock keeps increasing in value, I don't think we'll see Apple deviate from their usual design path.

+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123