+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Shaw Wu: iPhone 5 Could See Bigger Design Upgrade Than Expected

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by Poseidon79 Remind me what has already been mentioned... repeatedly. For the sake of not mentioning things repeatedly, I'll refrain. Really, you can't figure that out from my
    Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Remind me what has already been mentioned... repeatedly.
    For the sake of not mentioning things repeatedly, I'll refrain. Really, you can't figure that out from my original comment? Did I really need to enclose it in tags?

Thanks

Shaw Wu say iPhone 5 for you!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Please enlighten us with your infinite wisdom as to what you would consider significan't upgrades to the current device that would warrant your attention.
    more customization without the need of jailbreaking similar to android

Thanks

yawn...

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by matrixhunter View Post
    more customization without the need of jailbreaking similar to android
    That's all software related. I'm talking about hardware. It's a trick question to begin with because no matter what people answer with my response will always be the same. "Then what will Apple use for upgrades NEXT year?"

Example. If Apple gave us a 4" AOMLED screen with retina resolution, 2Ghz dual core chip, 1GB RAM, 64GB internal memory with an expandable micro slot, a 12MP rear cam and a 5MP front cam with dual LED flashes, NFC chip and LTE baseband chip.... that would be AMAZING! That would make everyone in the world happy... now think about the consequences. Apple wouldn't have anywhere to go from there and no one would have any incentive to upgrade... their stocks would plummet and they would become the laughing stock of the tech world.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

one more thing: it's 4g lte

Banned
    Thanks

That's all software related. I'm talking about hardware. It's a trick question to begin with because no matter what people answer with my response will always be the same. "Then what will Apple use for upgrades NEXT year?"

Example. If Apple gave us a 4" AOMLED screen with retina resolution, 2Ghz dual core chip, 1GB RAM, 64GB internal memory with an expandable micro slot, a 12MP rear cam and a 5MP front cam with dual LED flashes, NFC chip and LTE baseband chip.... that would be AMAZING! That would make everyone in the world happy... now think about the consequences. Apple wouldn't have anywhere to go from there and no one would have any incentive to upgrade... their stocks would plummet and they would become the laughing stock of the tech world.
    Indeed, and I wouldn't argue any of that. But your question does not apply to my post. I was not saying anything about amazing upgrades coming in the iPhone 5, I am simply pointing out that this entire "story", if you can call it that, is just useless crap. Wu has said absolutely nothing that hasn't already been mentioned several times by several different "sources". In yet another major disservice to ModMyI readers, Michael Essany has quoted the ENTIRE story except for the most important part:

Oddly enough, what Wu describes doesn’t seem bigger than some rumors that have floated around. He writes that in addition to a dual-core microprocessor, the next iPhone could sport “a slightly larger display.”

Thanks

I agree that 4G isn't a big deal at this point. It's not true 4G no matter what the carriers want to say...so it would only be marginally faster than 3G if it were to include some kind of new chip. Also, the majority of markets where Apple sells the iPhone probably don't support true 4G either. That, and I'm sure a lot more web usage happens on Wi-fi.

Now, I'm not saying I wouldn't welcome a 4G phone, living in San Francisco and all. But, I think there is plenty of other room for improvement with the next generation device (and iOS which iOS 5 was kind of a let down) so that 4G isn't a dealbreaker for upgraders.

Thanks

oh my bid and yes i agree with u on that but still it would be kewl if they let us customize our phones without the need of jailbreaking u know what i mean like let us decide if we want live wallpaper and nice widgets

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I think that the LTE iPhone 5 could be a possibility. Even though the carriers aren't fully ready for LTE, like someone said above, it isn't Apple's fault, they're just trying to keep up with HTC, Motorola, etc. Even with Verizon publicly claiming they have a 4G network running, like some people mentioned, 4G isn't the most common thing to find. However, I feel like people have forgotten about AT&T in a sense that they too are developing a 4G network. From the quick googling I was able to tell, the iPhone 4 is not a HSPA+ capable device. This means that while your iPhone 4 may seem to be blazing fast on a good day, it is running on a Network which is already widely available HSPA+.

At&t's Network has continuously been developing and reinforcing itself for the launch of it's true 4G Network so that it doesn't have a repeat of what may happen when it originally launched the iPhone and service quality took a toll. For those who may not understand it completely, the iPhone 4 has hardware to handle the winding highway roads of the HSPA network it runs on AT&T. When placed on the even faster network such which would be like the interstate, it would need a faster hardware upgrade to still be the top of the mobile phone industry as one of the best selling devices.

*Data Throttling: Even though we hate to realize it, we're going to be throttled eventually only to prevent the collapse of the entire network. But people need to realize that even though the speed may be limited, the entire networks we use, both At&T and Verizon, should receive upgrades over time, thus increasing the overall average speed us users get to feel on the consumer side

So even though people may discredit the next-gen iPhone as not being a valid reason to upgrade, or even the hardware may be a minor update to stay current and competitive, I think people should be considerate of the combination of development from AT&T, Verizon and Apple. Anybody's thoughts?

Thanks

Remind me what has already been mentioned... repeatedly.
    That iPhone 5 clone thats been floating around the web canal has definitely taken the wow factor down a few notches. Feature fodder such as A5 chip, gig of ram, dual core, larger retina display, or 8 megapixel cam is web chatter. So, I think mentioned features create excitement.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ibfr33k View Post
    I'm not too worried about the 4G part of the iPhone 5. Where I live, we don't even have 3G. We barely even have Edge. When the download speed tops out at 4KB/sec with no sign of anything faster, all the phones that have the hardware to do so don't seem too important.
    I'm in the same boat I don't even get edge

I wish I had a miniature elephant that fit in the palm of my hand. I would pick him up and he'd lift up his trunk and stand on his back legs and say PRRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMPPPPPPPPPHHHHHHHH and I would say yes little elephant i love you too.

Thanks

I'm not too worried about the 4G part of the iPhone 5. Where I live, we don't even have 3G. We barely even have Edge. When the download speed tops out at 4KB/sec with no sign of anything faster, all the phones that have the hardware to do so don't seem too important.
    Why even bother getting an iPhone if you live narnia

Green Apple
    Thanks

3D Facetime Maybe Not Needed But Hey Why Not Lol If The Only Differences Is Gonna Be 4G I'll Keep With My 4

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Looking at all the iphone 'upgrades' in the past years, I don't expect any groundbreaking updates. A slightly larger screen? They are making the iphone rounder again? wow, I don't call those big design upgrades. faster cpu and memory? Sure they can update that, but do we benefit from that?

So we can multitask better? Multitasking is useless the way it was implemented on the Iphone4. Having a few dozen apps docked for no apparent reason was one reason to jailbreak mine. Another is the awful notification system, which took Apple 4 generations to fix.I don't call that revolution. I would like to see a NFC chip on board. Without a major phone brand (like Apple) supporting the system, the payment system is doomed. For now I don't see any reason to upgrade my iphone 4.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    Thinner than iPhone 4... So they arn't happy with the ratio of breaking iPhones so they want to make it thinner so there is more chance of breaking so more sell....
    How about make it stronger instead of thinner so it lasts longer. That will make the customer more happy.
    OR, maybe you can learn to not drop your phone so there is NO chance of breaking it. It's a $700 computer device, not a football.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rkswat View Post
    OR, maybe you can learn to not drop your phone so there is NO chance of breaking it. It's a $700 computer device, not a football.
    Its called accidents they are unpredictable

Thanks

Please enlighten us with your infinite wisdom as to what you would consider significan't upgrades to the current device that would warrant your attention.
    what would be awesome?

If the new iPhone had a A Real Big Magnet, that I could use to attract hawtiez
    because my old phone just isn't doing it anymore.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Truckerbear's Avatar
    Thanks

I am with you. It really irks me that AT&T talks up all this 4G crap when there are still many rural areas that don't even have 3G. Shouldn't you make sure your all 3G before starting 4G??? I only get 10-15kb downloads on EDGE and it sucks.. If the same iPhone comes to Verizon then I am trading in my Droid X for an iPhone 5 on Verizon. Its a sad day that a CDMA provider is making a GSM provider look bad in the rural areas at least!
    8 gig iPhone Edge 2G (first day iPhone): UNLKD/JB using bootneuter and blackra1n.
    8 gig iPhone 3G (first day iPhone): UNLKD/JB using Whited00r CFW
    16 gig iPhone 3GS (new bootrom): UNLKD/JB using ultrasn0w/limera1n.
    16 gig Wifi iPad first day iPad JB using greenpois0n.
    32 gig Wifi/3G iPad first day iPad UNLKD/JB using greenpois0n.
    32 gig iPhone 4(first day iPhone): UNLKD/JB using ultrasn0w/greenpois0n
    Apps: 157 installed 25 developed.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by raduga View Post
    what would be awesome?

If the new iPhone had a A Real Big Magnet, that I could use to attract hawtiez
    because my old phone just isn't doing it anymore.
    Neither will your new phone. So maybe it's not the phone.