Regarding the 802.22 standard, it's really more geared towards rural broadband than mobile phones. The incredibly broad spectrum involved here requires a lot of complexity (or modularity) on the radio engineering side. I think having a single pocket sized device that will just work on any 802.22 setup is quite a ways off. I'd expect the first CPE devices to be wifi routers with a modular transmitter / antenna component that can be selected based on your area / needs.

Running a base station will most likely exceed the cost / needs of actual consumers with this generation. I wouldn't be surprised if operating one requires a FCC license, and VHF transmitters are not exactly inconspicuous if you want to cover good distance (Think HOA rules and lightning safety).

Quote Originally Posted by spazturtle View Post
Read: 3GPP Long Term Evolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Then read: 4G - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Taken from the 4G page "The pre-4G technology 3GPP Long Term Evolution (LTE) is often branded "4G", but the first LTE release does not fully comply with the IMT-Advanced requirements."

LTE Speed:
Peak Download 100 Mbit/s
Peak Upload 50 Mbit/s

4G Speed:
Peak Download 1 Gbit/s
Peak Upload 500 Mbit/s

Both were taken form the 4G page (The second one I linked)

EDIT: The standards are set by the 'International Telecommunication Union Radiocommunication Sector'
Well if you really want to get picky about terminology, don't trust Wikipedia, go right to the source:
Quote Originally Posted by ITU Press Release
Following a detailed evaluation against stringent technical and operational criteria, ITU has determined that “LTE-Advanced” and “WirelessMAN-Advanced” should be accorded the official designation of IMT-Advanced. As the most advanced technologies currently defined for global wireless mobile broadband communications, IMT-Advanced is considered as “4G”, although it is recognized that this term, while undefined, may also be applied to the forerunners of these technologies, LTE and WiMax, and to other evolved 3G technologies providing a substantial level of improvement in performance and capabilities with respect to the initial third generation systems now deployed. The detailed specifications of the IMT-Advanced technologies will be provided in a new ITU-R Recommendation expected in early 2012.
So basically the ITU is giving up on the "4G" term allowing it to be "undefined" and used to refer to LTE and others, while relying on just the IMT-Advanced label for the speeds you mention.

I think the lesson is don't get too caught up in the "G" labels. Remember that according to the ITU, GSM EDGE is considered 3G speed even though nobody advertises it as such.