Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Article: iPhone NFC Hack For the Brave

Default iPhone NFC Hack For the Brave Only

Adding Near Field Communication chips to iPhones so far has involved ugly stickers and difficult soldering, but a new hack provides an invisible and elegant solution for those brave enough to pop off the back of their iPhone 4.

NFC capable phones allow users to simply tap their phone to one of the newer credit card terminals to make fast easy payments (a la paypass). The process, described by the guys over at Unplggd, involves ordering a smaller NFC card from your bank, taking off the iPhone 4's glass back, placing the NFC enabled card on top of the battery (reference the picture) and reattaching the glass back.

The hack obviously only allows users to use one NFC credit card unlike other phones with NFC chips built in that allow the use of multiple cards and payment accounts via software. However, it is an easy and rather harmless hack when done right.

Source: Unplggd
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 07-29-2011 at 05:00 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

The point of NFC in a phone is to not have it active 24/7 but actually use an app (pw protected perhaps). This is no more elegant than having the NFC card on your keyring. AND you are limited to that one card of course. What's the point?

So i4 only.. I dont think i would use it anyways

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    The point of NFC in a phone is to not have it active 24/7 but actually use an app (pw protected perhaps). This is no more elegant than having the NFC card on your keyring. AND you are limited to that one card of course. What's the point?
    I mentioned that it was limited to one card, and the advantages other phones with NFC chips and software built in have. That said, this is the most elegant solution iPhone 4 users have when it comes to NFC payments. A method of payment that is having an extremely hard time catching on stateside.

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow that's good... Now you can lose your iPhone and your credit card with it... Awesome

Awesome!

It doesn't take any bravery to do this. All you really need is that goofy pentalobe screwdriver to remove those crazy screws with.

Bravery (stupidity) was removing the back on the first generation iPhone. I've removed both. The 4 takes just seconds.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

You can do this with any of the iPhones. I did it last year with my 3GS. All you have to do if find where the antennae and chip is and cut them out and when I was replacing the battery on the 3GS I put it behind it. Not too hard if you know how to take them apart.

how about square? swipe any credit card!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sirbebe View Post
    how about square? swipe any credit card!
    huh?

any links to said installs involving soldering?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Painkiller006's Avatar
    Thanks

nvm, read it wron
    Last edited by Painkiller006; 07-29-2011 at 10:58 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Swanson View Post
    I mentioned that it was limited to one card, and the advantages other phones with NFC chips and software built in have. That said, this is the most elegant solution iPhone 4 users have when it comes to NFC payments. A method of payment that is having an extremely hard time catching on stateside.
    i realize you mentioned that, but this is far from elegant. This is literally shoving a credit card into your iphone housing. May as well just buy a case and stuff it in between if you are so eager to get nFc on your phone....
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    i realize you mentioned that, but this is far from elegant. This is literally shoving a credit card into your iphone housing. May as well just buy a case and stuff it in between if you are so eager to get nFc on your phone....
    It is elegant in the sense that you dont have to attach an external device to the phone.

Buying a case and stuffing it in is far less elegant.

at least you wont lose it ^-^
    title should be changed to "NFC hack for those with a really small screwdriver"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlbgc View Post
    It is elegant in the sense that you dont have to attach an external device to the phone.

Buying a case and stuffing it in is far less elegant.
    Sorry if I disagree that jamming a mini credit card into the innards of your phone to make it a wannabe nfc device is anything close to elegant.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 07-31-2011 at 08:41 AM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Banned
    Thanks

How about even easier is to just put that card in between the iPhone and a case.
    That way you dont even need to open it up. You can also use it with any phone then.

I think everyone in this thread is missing the point. He never said this is the hack to fix ALL NFC problems for iPhone users, and a DREAM COME TRUE, he merely stated this is a slightly more elegant way to use the NFC technology if you are indeed to eager to wait for an "official" product. Just letting people know about other options available for the end-user, exactly what he's supposed to do as a writer for MMi...

Good article bro.

Keep it up, its nice to actually see new things.

Tyler

iPhone? More like MyPhone badass1469's Avatar
    Thanks

id get two of em and put them in each end of the phone, and turn it upside down for when i want credit, and the other way for debit

cant anyone scan an nfc that someone has tho? o_o dont leave your phone by itself. unless you can safely turn it off