Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Longer Battery Life With Jelly Rolls

Default Longer Battery Life With Jelly Rolls

In a new patent Apple application uncovered by Apple Insider, Apple aims to improve battery life by including multiple "jelly rolls" into a single pouch.

Jelly rolls (Swiss rolls), are typically found in your standard cylindrical rechargeable AA D batteries. Anode and cathode material is laid down and divided by a separator, then rolled up into a hollow cylinder in the design.

Apple's patent application "Battery with Multiple Jelly Rolls in a single Pouch," looks to improve current lithium batteries using this same technique. Typcial lithium batteries are are so well liked by laptop and mobile device makers because the battery cells are packaged in small flexible pouches and can be shoved in the tiniest of devices. However, their packaging efficiency is usually between 90 and 95%, leaving extra space. What Apple is attempting to do in their patent application is eliminate this unused space.

The use and placement of multiple jelly rolls of different lengths and thicknesses within a pouch may allow the creation of a custom battery cell that maximizes the use of free space within a portable electronic device and provides greater capacity, packing efficiency, and/or voltage than battery cells that contain only one jelly roll per pouch. - Apple Patent 20110183169
    These custom made batteries would allow batteries to be designed around components in laptops and mobile phones, and even housed in displays. The examples given in the patent are only a small number of many possibilities. Designers would now be able to design products the way they want instead of around batteries, or better yet design with the flexible battery in mind to optimize battery life even more.

Source: AppleInsider
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 07-28-2011 at 09:53 AM.

hehe jelly roll :P made me chuckle when i read that word

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

NOM NOM NOM!! Jelly rolls!

Quote Originally Posted by cookbenj View Post
    hehe jelly roll :P made me chuckle when i read that word
    Haha! Same here

Quote Originally Posted by alexevo View Post
    NOM NOM NOM!! Jelly rolls!
    Exactly! ;P

I don't think I'm ready for that jelly.

Quote Originally Posted by daffysam22 View Post
    I don't think I'm ready for that jelly.
    Haha

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

And taking the device apart for repairs becomes a nightmare...

its peanut butter jelly time

Get in my belly!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    And taking the device apart for repairs becomes a nightmare...
    Haha actually I think that's going to be quite true!

Battery technology is so far behind. I would love to see an Apple mobile device go a couple days in continuous use on a single charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    Battery technology is so far behind. I would love to see an Apple mobile device go a couple days in continuous use on a single charge.
    When my wife was in the hospital a few months ago my iPhone 4 lasted me over 48 hours on 3G with constant facebooking and texting from people wanting to know how she was doing and everything. I didn't do any Netflix or anything but it lasted till I got down to about Y percent and went and bought another charger from Walmart since that was a lot closer then home was but it would be nice to see an idevices handle streaming on top of that and last a couple days. But then again our laptop batteries can barely last a few hours

yummy jellicious lol
    My Twitter : @cosmi3_