+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Article: Apple Forces Nook and Kindle Apps to Remove In-App Purchases

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
The almighty Apple has dropped the e-book bomb on e-reader applications for iOS forcing Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Canada-based Kobo to alter in-app purchases in their applications. All three
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Forces Nook and Kindle Apps to Change

The almighty Apple has dropped the e-book bomb on e-reader applications for iOS forcing Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Canada-based Kobo to alter in-app purchases in their applications.

All three companies have altered their apps to fall in line with Apple's new requirements regarding in-app subscriptions. Before the new agreement companies could put links in their apps sending users to an external site to sign up for subscriptions or make purchases and avoid paying Apple the required 30% cut of in app purchases. Now that this workaround is not allowed a number of small e-reader publishers have removed their apps or shut down. The bigger players have finally been forced to abide by the rules as well.

Current user's wont notice a huge difference in their respective apps, other than the fact they'll have to purchase all their content on external websites and then sync it to their iOS devices.

However, the change does create headaches for the likes of Amazon, Barnes & Nobles, and Kobo when trying to inform new customers how to sync their books to the companies' e-reader applications.

Aside from not having any links to an e-bookstore you can't even mention your Web site or explain to readers from within the app how to purchase books and get them onto the device. It's very simple to do, but some people downloading the app for the first time might not figure it out.- KOBO CEO Michael Serbinis
    Apple's iBooks is now the only iOS app that will allow users to purchase books within the app. And that definitely is not a good thing.

Source: CNET
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 07-26-2011 at 09:20 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Thanks

I do not see how Apple is being a bully. It is Apples platform, and Apples rules. When I am at a business or someones home for that matter, I follow the rules. I think it's great that Apples platform has rules that are enforced. I'm sure Android and other diminishing markets also have strict policies as well. Without rules, I could only imagine what the app stores would look like.

Sometimes I get confused by the reporting on this site. Is this site for Apple or Against Apple?

MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mustard05 View Post
    I do not see how Apple is being a bully. It is Apples platform, and Apples rules. When I am at a business or someones home for that matter, I follow the rules. I think it's great that Apples platform has rules that are enforced. I'm sure Android and other diminishing markets also have strict policies as well. Without rules, I could only imagine what the app stores would look like.

Sometimes I get confused by the reporting on this site. Is this site for Apple or Against Apple?
    Reporting is supposed to be objective, which it rarely is. But, if Apple does something that limits its competitors like this on their platform in a decidedly monopolistic way, then it will be reported as such.

iPhone? More like MyPhone sirbebe's Avatar
    Thanks

Look if any company can show that they are really innovating and ready to compete do it without apple. How the hell is apple gonna compete but at the same time contribute to another companies greatness come on. Apple was the lil guy in the fight once apon time but they really innovated and it's rightfuly so if they want to enforce there rules.

Green Apple
    Thanks

This is a horrible way of thinking about it. Why wouldn't the consumer want choice on a platform? This is like if you could download alternate web browsers to your computer, but they aren't allowed to have the address bar. Sure, you could make an HTML file with links to your favorite sites then bookmark them for later use, but the browser won't be able to tell you how to do it or even mention that it's possible.

Green Apple
    Thanks

It is time for companies like these to start embracing the Cydia community.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by efi2nr View Post
    It is time for companies like these to start embracing the Cydia community.
    Completely agree. That's why we have jailbreaks and unlocks. Cydia is a place to be able to have the best equipment (iPhone) and the best iOS.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,196 Times in 1,919 Posts

This is extremely inconvenient. I was going to get Kindle or Nook to buy some books and without the in-app option, I can't conveniently open the store and buy a book. This would only work in iBooks, which is fine except that I'm jailbroken and can't upgrade past 4.2.6 bc there are no fixes for the iBooks DRM books on any other firmware. So in the future I'd either have to not jailbreak and use iBooks, or jailbreak and use Kindle/Nook but navigate through Safari to buy my books.

My solution: go to Barnes and Nobles and buy the physical book. The convenience has totally flown out the window for iBooks and Kindle/Nook. I certainly don't want to go without a jailbreak...

Green Apple
    Thanks

IMO this site is nor FOR or AGAINST but rather ABOUT Apple. Personally, I even think that sometimes some articles tend to be fanboyish. Still, it's the choice of every contributor to share their personal opinion or not.

As for the subject of the article in question, this doesn't have anything to do with rules as in to keep things in order or keep things secure. Apple decided that they wanted to enter a market and used their dominant position to enforce "rules" to their advantage. Yes, it's their right to do so but that doesn't make it right and certainly not good for us customers. Yes Apple is innovative in a lot of ways but they didn't invent ebooks or ebook readers, they simply decided that they wanted their share of that market and use all the tools at their disposal to take it over.

In some way it reminds me of the WiFi Sync feature that they stole from an iOS developer down to the very icon. This is the rotten side of Apple...

"The Chuck Bass of Theming" k.nitsua's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,214 Times in 2,596 Posts

If iBooks was a better platform, I wouldn't be bothered by this... But without a desktop client and a smaller selection compared to Kindle (Hello! College Textbooks!); I would say that the consumer has lost in this one as we are forced to use an inferior platform.
    #eli7e revived me

Thanks
    Thanked 2,196 Times in 1,919 Posts

That's for sure. Why isn't there an iBooks for the Mac App Store anyhow...

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Come on... Is this any surprise to anyone?
    I really hope Amazon do come out with a tablet soon, combine that with renting out text book for school would make it a powerful tool. If they work it right it still have a chance to cease some of the tablet market.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Outrager View Post
    This is a horrible way of thinking about it. Why wouldn't the consumer want choice on a platform? This is like if you could download alternate web browsers to your computer, but they aren't allowed to have the address bar. Sure, you could make an HTML file with links to your favorite sites then bookmark them for later use, but the browser won't be able to tell you how to do it or even mention that it's possible.

The App store belongs to Apple. Therefore, to have an App in Apples store one must follow the rules. If I owned a platform, and people started directing users ( in app at that)to their personal site to pay for services DIRECTLY so they wouldn't have to pay me, I would also implement tougher rules. Why should anyone use Apples store, or any store for that matter, and not pay what they owe. How does this make apple bad??? It's smart business. If a customer is mad, they should be upset with the App maker because they are the ones being greedy.

Would you let someone do that to you? If you would then let me know ASAP

Thanks

The App store belongs to Apple. Therefore, to have an App in Apples store one must follow the rules. If I owned a platform, and people started directing users ( in app at that)to their personal site to pay for services DIRECTLY so they wouldn't have to pay me, I would also implement tougher rules. Why should anyone use Apples store, or any store for that matter, and not pay what they owe. How does this make apple bad??? It's smart business. If a customer is mad, they should be upset with the App maker because they are the ones being greedy.

Would you let someone do that to you? If you would then let me know ASAP
    Lol I love this, I couldn't agree more.
    If your in apples playground you gotta play by the rules.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    l still think apple should have had given the app store patent

Thanks

Amazon and the other E-Book Companies should have this feature it's not breaking rules it's absolute evil greed on Apples part they are not getting all the money from the books the statistics probably showed that more users are buying books from these companies other than iBooks. So Apple made it harder and more time consuming to download a book from them, hence making it easier to just get an iBook more money for Apple. Yeah smart business move, but like other readers it's BS for the consumer. They want to win this game of Monopoly that's all there is to it. Why is it that other apps that link to their own site that sell items are not pulled. For example I have a bike app that gives instructions on fixing your bike. There is a link for the tools. Apple doesn't get a 30% cut from them. NO because they are not a threat. It's not a big market like these 3 companies. Freaking Stupid I must say. All about money. Well when Apple CEO's are in he'll watching all their money burn we will c who has this game of Monopoly (Life) Go Jesus!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by loud.n.clean View Post
    Amazon and the other E-Book Companies should have this feature it's not breaking rules it's absolute evil greed on Apples part they are not getting all the money from the books the statistics probably showed that more users are buying books from these companies other than iBooks. So Apple made it harder and more time consuming to download a book from them, hence making it easier to just get an iBook more money for Apple. Yeah smart business move, but like other readers it's BS for the consumer. They want to win this game of Monopoly that's all there is to it. Why is it that other apps that link to their own site that sell items are not pulled. For example I have a bike app that gives instructions on fixing your bike. There is a link for the tools. Apple doesn't get a 30% cut from them. NO because they are not a threat. It's not a big market like these 3 companies. Freaking Stupid I must say. All about money. Well when Apple CEO's are in he'll watching all their money burn we will c who has this game of Monopoly (Life) Go Jesus!
    Haha, your opinion is noted.

On a side note I love your last 2 sentences. If it wasn't for bad grammar, I would of had a new signature.

Thanks

And one more thing If this site is against Apple. NO we love their products, what they produce. Apple as a company I can't stand them and thats all!

That's that darn Auto Correct and a mix of Swipe...lol

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mmaboi21 View Post
    Lol I love this, I couldn't agree more.
    If your in apples playground you gotta play by the rules.
    It all depends. It may well be that the rules that apple imposes may soon be ruled illegal. There is such a thing as antimonopoly laws. Now there are millions of apple ios devices and users out there. Apple wants to impose its monopoly on the platform so that nobody else can compete with them. There used to allow more flexibility on the ikindle, and inook programs, but now that they also sell books they want to quickly shut down the competition by making it either harder or more expensive (30%) to buy books in-app. I will let you think of the car analogy, but it is quite clear. Apple behavior is illegal or bordeline illegal. Of course the US has long lost its power to patrol its corporations who have higher legal rights than its citizens...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Agreed. Apple provides the platform and charges a 30% "licensing" fee. These companies were trying to take advantage of Apple's platform and target audience while circumventing that fee. All Apple has done here is close that 'loophole' which never should have been abused in the first place. Amazon, Kobo, and the likes can still sell their subscriptions to the 'Apple audience' if the conform to the guidelines of the platform and pay their fee.