+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iControlPad Finally Available, Turns iPhone Into Unholy GameGear Gamboy Lovechild

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Three years of development later the iControlPad's promise of turning your iPhone into a competent gaming device has finally been realized. Sort of. The product is finally shipping, and doesn't
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iControlPad Finally Available, Turns iPhone Into Unholy GameGear Gamboy Lovechild

Three years of development later the iControlPad's promise of turning your iPhone into a competent gaming device has finally been realized. Sort of.

The product is finally shipping, and doesn't require the suction-cup joysticks that take up half the screen to improve your gaming abilities. Rather, the device looks like the product of some hot Gameboy on GameGear action. The device adds two joysticks, a directional pad, start and select buttons, as well as four face buttons. All of this connects to your iPhone, and other compatible devices (the devices is modifiable and can house varying sizes of phones) via bluetooth, and therein is the problem.

Apple restricts third party developers from using bluetooth to enable the proper actions needed for the joysticks to function. Very few apps support all the peripheral's functions, eight in fact, which can be found on the companies website. However, Jailbroken users need not fret, they can utilize all of the glorious gaming functions he device offers, with a wider variety of choices. If they want to fork over $69.99 for the device.

Source: TouchArcade
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 07-23-2011 at 07:00 PM.

Thanks

i wanted to just dive in head first with this device but i feel like i need to see some reviews i trust before making the commitment.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jeffhesser View Post
    i wanted to just dive in head first with this device but i feel like i need to see some reviews i trust before making the commitment.
    Not only reviews...but it will probably be a while before developers put out some games to really take control of the features the control pad. Right now they're all designed to be controlled through the touch screen....not sure how that will translate to control pad controls.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
    Not only reviews...but it will probably be a while before developers put out some games to really take control of the features the control pad. Right now they're all designed to be controlled through the touch screen....not sure how that will translate to control pad controls.
    This is really old news, I've had mine since march. It works really well, granted my iPhone is jb. There are some apps in the app store that support the iCP because the device is capable of emulating a bt keyboard.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It's a shame that great tools are turned into toys. Actually, i was in Apple store yesterday, and for a moment I thought I was in toys r'us. I left without buying anything....

Green Apple
    Thanks

Bluetooth? I would have really like to develop for this. But Bluetooth specs are under bigger lock and key than the dock connector specs.
    I'd like to see a company like this apply for Apple's Made for iPhone program, use the dock connector port, and provide us App Store developers a interface SDK.
    They sell controllers, we sell games.

Thanks

I can't believe how long it has taken for this thing to come out.

It's been longer than 3 years. The manufacturers were talking about this before 2007 was over.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tequilaguru View Post
    This is really old news, I've had mine since march. It works really well, granted my iPhone is jb. There are some apps in the app store that support the iCP because the device is capable of emulating a bt keyboard.
    Oh...I did not know that. Of course, I'm not a huge gamer so I wouldn't have known this little device was finally released. I have seen it speculated for a while now, but this is the first article I've seen announcing that it is actually available.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Since this is a Bluetooth device, I assume the control pad does not plug into the charging port of the iphone. Does that mean it would work for the IPAD too?? Obviously the IPAD wouldn't fit in the display area, but could it still work while separated? Anybody know?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by makuay View Post
    Since this is a Bluetooth device, I assume the control pad does not plug into the charging port of the iphone. Does that mean it would work for the IPAD too?? Obviously the IPAD wouldn't fit in the display area, but could it still work while separated? Anybody know?

Yes. In fact, you can get the controller itself (without the iphone attachment) for a cheaper price.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Is this compatible with any game from the AppStore? Naturally it's not needed for games that are not joystick controlled.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Xenthis's Avatar
    Thanks

Don't think games will be developed for this - Apple will probably kick them off of the App Store

Thanks
    Rather, the device looks like the product of some hot Gameboy on GameGear action.
    HAHAHA I couldn't think of any better words than that!

Thanks

I agree, 69.99 is alot to ask with little or no credibility..... now, if they did like a 2 month promo at half price, with the agreement that you have to write a decent review on the product, we would be exchanging monies.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TristianLyons1022 View Post
    I agree, 69.99 is alot to ask with little or no credibility..... now, if they did like a 2 month promo at half price, with the agreement that you have to write a decent review on the product, we would be exchanging monies.
    It would help things out if more research was done into the project before writing an article about it. As pointed out earlier, this has actually been out for some months. The article makes it seem like it just came out. Also, the creator has posted all the compatible apps in Cydia and emulators that work with it. Also, there are a handful of official iOS AppStore apps already available that are compatible with the iControlPad. Also, you missed the week long period earlier this month where the iControlPad was offered for just $50. So, in short, has been out for some time, has great credibility, and does have AppStore apps that it can work with.