+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Surpasses Nokia as the World's Number One Smartphone Maker

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Nokia's third-quarter earnings report looked more like a company falling off a cliff than the once dominant force at the top of the mobile phone world. The decline was so
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Surpasses Nokia as the World's Number One Smartphone Maker

Nokia's third-quarter earnings report looked more like a company falling off a cliff than the once dominant force at the top of the mobile phone world. The decline was so steep Apple is now officially the king of the smartphone hill.

Shipments of Nokia smartphones declined by 34 percent to 16.7 million units this past quarter, while Apple's shipments cruised past estimates to settle at 20.3 million iPhones shipped.

Apple was already the biggest smartphone maker by revenue and profits, but the April-June period marked the first time it had surpassed Nokia in volume. - Financial Times
    Perhaps the most spectacular number is the hemorrhaging of Nokia's market share in Australia. Nokia's market share fell from 50% to 25% in the June quarter, as the iPhone gained the top spot in the country.

Apple's dominance in the mobile world continues to grow as previous leaders RIM and Nokia appear to be gasping for air. It's an iPhone and Android world out there, everyone else is just playing catchup for now.

Source: Financial Times [via 9to5Mac]

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

With Nokia's help of course........

And when it comes to mobile phones, I highly doubt people are "playing catchup" to Apple.....more the other way around.
    Last edited by RICO_; 07-21-2011 at 06:15 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Yup Nokia hurt itself, insisting on Symbian OS is part of the reason for its downfall.
    Finally with new management and partially going over to WinOS hopefully will recover some market shares it lost, unfortunately it will never recover them all.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    The picture is wrong. According to the picture Nokia is above Apple.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Yea I can confirm this as an Aussie myself I used to see Nokia's everywhere and now just about everyone has an iPhone. In fact the other night I was out with some friends and there were about 15 of us and then someone with an iPhone got a text and about 12 of the 15 people took their phones out to check if it were them lol.

Quote Originally Posted by PACman0428 View Post
    The picture is wrong. According to the picture Nokia is above Apple.
    It's a weights scale... The bigger company will be lower on the scale. The picture is definitely right!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It is no surprise, as the last few years nokia make a sh***y mobile phones. For example nokia N97 which suppose to be top of the line nokia mobile phones at that time but the feature and built quality very very disappointing.I will never but any nokia mobile phones product anymore.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I think the fact that apple can be on top while only ever offering one model at a time is good cause for them to make a second device. Perhaps one with a tactile keyboard. Sales would only go up, no?