+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google's Eric Schmidt Says Competitors Sue Them Instead of Innovating, Vows To Save HTC

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Google Executive chairman Eric Schmidt had some strong words for Apple today at a Google mobile conference in Tokyo when questioned about the recent patent suit against HTC and by
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Google's Eric Schmidt Says Competitors Sue Them Instead of Innovating, Vows To Save HTC

Google Executive chairman Eric Schmidt had some strong words for Apple today at a Google mobile conference in Tokyo when questioned about the recent patent suit against HTC and by extension all Android devices.

We have seen an explosion of Android devices entering the market and, because of our successes, competitors are responding with lawsuits as they cannot respond through innovations. I'm not too worried about this. - Eric Schmidt
    When asked if Google would provide financial support if HTC does in fact lose the suit Schmidt responded, "We will make sure they don't lose, then."

Schmidt's support has to be reassuring to HTC and their shareholders. The fact google is taking open shots at Apple, and in turn an aggressive stance supporting Android. Lets not forget that the two patents Apple is suing HTC over could cripple more than just HTC, but every Android smartphone partner.

Apple's quarterly report will be available soon, I wonder if the conference call will have any jabs responding to the litany of comments thrown their way by competitors lately.

Source: CNET

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

All the little people joining to the fight the big man. Cool. Some David Vs.Goliath!

My iPhone is a Part of Me GrandMstrBud's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't know if I would call Google or HTC the little people but it is nice to see Google jump in and help out HTC on this one. I've got rid of my iPhone for an android device but I can't seem to get rid of my iPad 2 unless a good 3G android tablet comes out.
    Last edited by GrandMstrBud; 07-19-2011 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Buggy Site

Thanks

So let me see if I understand correctly, it's wrong to try and stop someone from using your intellectual property...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ajones330 View Post
    So let me see if I understand correctly, it's wrong to try and stop someone from using your intellectual property...
    I agree with you.

If someone is sueing it's because they are using property that they came up with first, hence, they innovated first. So when they sue, the others want them to innovate again???

Probably so they can just keep copying them. Ugh!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Apple would patent air and claim it was their idea. I've been an avid iDevice user since my first 4gb iphone. About a month ago I bought an atrix and gave my wife my i4. I've not looked back. Like the poster above I've not found a suitable replacement for my ipad2. When I do though, I'll be making the switch. Apple is bad for the open marketplace and is possibly setting precedents that will eventually contribute to its death. I'm rooting for HTC and google on this one. It's funny how things change, who'd have ever thought Apple would be the big bad corporation trying to stifle innovation.

Undisputed Theme Champ AnthonyGiola's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 853 Posts

+1 xD

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by al_teroff_urhead View Post
    I agree with you.

If someone is sueing it's because they are using property that they came up with first, hence, they innovated first. So when they sue, the others want them to innovate again???

Probably so they can just keep copying them. Ugh!
    incorrect. they may/may not innovate first but they sure patented it first.

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Rules of competition:

Good: 1) Innovate over legislate
    Better: 2) Innovate and block
    Best: 3) Innovate, block, and legislate

Apple is firing on all cylinders

Thanks

f*** apple android rules

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Razz View Post
    Apple would patent air and claim it was their idea. I've been an avid iDevice user since my first 4gb iphone. About a month ago I bought an atrix and gave my wife my i4. I've not looked back. Like the poster above I've not found a suitable replacement for my ipad2. When I do though, I'll be making the switch. Apple is bad for the open marketplace and is possibly setting precedents that will eventually contribute to its death. I'm rooting for HTC and google on this one. It's funny how things change, who'd have ever thought Apple would be the big bad corporation trying to stifle innovation.
    The issue isn't with Apple, it's with our patent system. The fact that you can patent anything, why wouldn't you? If I could patent air and charge everyone to use it, why wouldn't I?

Thanks

How can you argue against the right winning and the wrong loosing?

I also agree, if Apple owns the intellectual property, it's theirs to use as they wish and sue the pants off anyone copying/stealing it.

To those that are rooting against the larger entity, do you nay-sayers root against the United States in all wars because we are potentially the bigger military or more successful economy?
    Last edited by GeoffS4; 07-19-2011 at 10:00 AM.

Thanks

little people:
    Google Net Worth US $190 billion (2011)
    Google Net Worth 2011

big people:
    Apple Net Worth $255.18 billion (2011)
    Apple Net Worth 2011

I can't get a similar number for HTC,
    but judging from the bits on their Wikipedia page, they look about 1/8 the size of Google.

Google + HTC < Apple
    but not by much.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

copying apple, or even following their lead, shows an inability to innovate. so what is eric schmidt griping about?

i think someone is bitter about losing the nortel patents.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

A lot of people fail to see the real story here which is that apple owns the rights to the feature, technology, design or whatever the case maybe ...... So if HTC did use apples intellectual property which they didn't have to create they just have to own the "patent" ... Well guess what HTC needs to pay or face the consequences ....

We all bash apple including myself at times... Yes appe has some strict rules and they borderline communism but at the end of the day if it wasnt for apple we wouldn't have all these devices that we do .... Had you seen any of these calibar of devices prior to the iphone? No! I believe in competition ... It does help innovate but when you use something that belongs to others and try to defend it in court .... You deserve to lose and pay! HTC should have paid from the start or now should come to an agreement if Apple "now" wants to.

And google trying to defend... Well they have to because if manufactures cannot run android without infringing on apples intellectual property well guess what googles SOL as well....

Any how stop bashing it's business and of course google and HTC and other manufacture are going to cry foul but guess what you're the one that stole and then try to put your own name on it.

Look at it this way if you owned the rights and someone else was making money off of what you owned well guess what you would be in court too.
    Last edited by lighter; 07-19-2011 at 11:14 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Why isn't either one of you (Apple fanbois) mentioning the countless patents that Apple stole from others (such as the lost case with Nokia of 46 stolen patents)?

While Apple did some major innovations in the recent decade, they didn't come up with the phone (as the device), so please stop portraying it as so.

Also the two patents that HTC supposedly has violated are laughable at best.
    Last edited by brab; 07-19-2011 at 12:07 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Hope they win...........
    Quote Originally Posted by brab View Post
    Why isn't either one of you (Apple fanbois) mentioning the countless patents that Apple stole from others (such as the lost case with Nokia of 46 stolen ones)?

While Apple did some major innovations in the recent decade, they didn't come up with the phone, so please stop portraying it as so.

Also the two patents that HTC supposedly has violated are laughable at best.

Well Apple actually also infringes on patents. Their smart cover is not theirs at all but a " copy of InCase's Convertible Magazine Jacket, as pointed out by the guys over at TechCrunch". Its not like Apple doesn't engage in this kind of activity either. Also lets point out Apple suing every little business guy on eBay for selling copies of wires and plugs, the most insignificant stuff. I am especially ticked off at them always plugging up the holes and continually trying to stop jailbreaking. I am not an HTC/Android person but I hope they win.

Stryker1

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xhenryrx View Post
    f*** apple android rules
    Then why are you on modmyi reading Apple news!? Go to androidcentral or phandroid, you should find what you need there.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stryker1 View Post
    Well Apple actually also infringes on patents. Their smart cover is not theirs at all but a " copy of InCase's Convertible Magazine Jacket, as pointed out by the guys over at TechCrunch". Its not like Apple doesn't engage in this kind of activity either. Also lets point out Apple suing every little business guy on eBay for selling copies of wires and plugs, the most insignificant stuff. I am especially ticked off at them always plugging up the holes and continually trying to stop jailbreaking. I am not an HTC/Android person but I hope they win.

Stryker1
    well done sir i am with you apple is scared of android trying to do wherever they can to stop android i used to be a apple fanboy but i switch 2 years ago and i not coming back lol

Quote Originally Posted by dakota514 View Post
    Then why are you on modmyi reading Apple news!? Go to androidcentral or phandroid, you should find what you need there.
    this is a free web site idiot don't cry just look my joint date nob
    Last edited by xhenryrx; 07-19-2011 at 01:00 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hitman10 View Post
    All the little people joining to the fight the big man. Cool. Some David Vs.Goliath!
    I wouldn't really call Google "David".
    El Zurdo