Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: What's New In Cydia: July 18, 2011

Default What's New In Cydia: July 18, 2011
    Today we cover a lot of new apps and tweaks including CallBar, iStartupSound, Anicons, SpotEnhancer, MessageTo and CustomGrid

CallBar
    Elias Limneos (@limneos) and Joshua Tucker (@sh8kespeare)

CallBar is an great new tweak which brings the slick iOS 5-style notification to incoming calls. Normally incoming calls kick you out of whatever your doing and invade your screen. You can access all the usual functions as usual; answer, decline, or dismiss.

Supporting both phone calls as well as FaceTime, CallBar offers a a function that we are surprised Apple hasn’t added to iOS 5 yet, and with beta 3 being released recently we’re not sure it will get added before the next version of iPhone’s software becomes public.

CallBar is compatible with all versions of iOS and even works with iOS 5! Available on Cydia for $3.99

CallBar User Guide: http://bit.ly/ndYc3O
    CallBar Theming Guide: http://bit.ly/mT8Tdr

iStartupSound
    Vladislav Korotnev (@vladkorotnev)
    http://modmyi.com/images/joshua/applebootlogo.jpg

This app was covered earlier this week by Josh, and has gained a lot of hype ever since it's release. The tweak simply allows you to change the sound of re-springing your device. The name is misleading but nonetheless is still a cool new tweak for those that wish to customize their iDevice even further.

Find iStartupSound in Cydia for FREE! Read more about this release here.

Anicons
    Dan Zimmerman (@DanZimm)

Another great new tweak available in Cydia. Josh also covered this one in depth earlier this week, read more here.

The quick rundown: Anicons incorporates important settings toggles directly on your SpringBoard for easy access. When you tap and interact with the toggles, they turn components on/off and make special animations to show you what state the particular toggle is in. For toggles such as 3G or WiFi, the button shows what the signal strength is and changes depending on reception and connectivity.

Find Anicons in Cydia for $1.99.

SpotEnhancer
    Andrea Oliva

This tweak comes from the ever popular TweekWeek project, and is a rather unique one, depending on your knowledge of command line input. SpotEnhancer essentially turns your Spotlight page into a command line allowing you to enter things like "get time" and have a popup appear displaying the time. While it's not exactly practical, it is kinda cool.

Andrea Oliva has added some commands on his website which are:

Get date – Displays the current date
    Get time – Displays the current time
    New message – Opens create text message
    New mail – Opens create Email
    New call – Launches the dial pad for call
    Google – Open Safari to Google.com
    Yahoo – opens Safari to Yahoo.com
    Bing – Opens Safari to Bing.com
    FB – Launches Safari to Facebook.com
    Twitter user – Search Twitter for user
    If you want to check this one out, find SpotEnhancer on Cydia for FREE!

MessageTo
    Andrea Oliva

Another interesting tweak from Andrea for TweekWeek. This one allows you to quickly compose a new message or new email by double tapping on either the Mail icon or the Messages icon.

Grab this one in Cydia for FREE!

CustomGrid
    @Crossingman.

CustomGrid does pretty much what it says. Install this tweak and you can easily change your icon layout to be however you please without the regular restrictions.

CustomGrid is available in Cydia for a $0.99
    Last edited by Nick Hesson; 07-24-2011 at 12:52 PM.

great stuff nick, keep up the good work!

Spotenhancer, while kind of cool, seems kind of pointless. Takes just as much time or less to just click on the app to accomplish the same thing.

iPhone? More like MyPhone iphonogasm's Avatar
    Thanks

great work.. keep it up and great updates these are always interesting to see some great new stuff!!

just asking, does anicons drain battery life? cos it looks like a great tweak if it doesn't drain any O:

My iPhone is a Part of Me n0m0n's Avatar
    Thanks

Did Andrea ever figure out how to get SBVolume to work without wiping the SMS functionality?
    He doesn't respond to support emails.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I do like these posts. With all the Cydia apps that get add, its great to see a simple write up on them.

Maybe iDibblr can get a review sometime

Quote Originally Posted by scottw03 View Post
    Spotenhancer, while kind of cool, seems kind of pointless. Takes just as much time or less to just click on the app to accomplish the same thing.
    Beat me too it. How in the world is it easier to open spotlight and type in a command than to simply tap the phone a couple of times to open the desired app?

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

CallBar looks awesome. I never realized how annoying and intrusive it is when you receive a phone call...looks like CallBar fixes that.
    El Zurdo

Damn guess my tweaks are to useless
    Lol

loving callbar and messageto! thanks for this!

Can't download callbar. I'm on iOS 5 beta 3 and the install button does not even dhow up, it just says refresh. :-(

It's not iOS 5 supported...

Thanks I was just going by what this article said

"CallBar is compatible with all versions of iOS and even works with iOS 5! Available on Cydia for $3.99"

Thanks again I'll wait if I have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro976 View Post
    Thanks I was just going by what this article said

"CallBar is compatible with all versions of iOS and even works with iOS 5! Available on Cydia for $3.99"

Thanks again I'll wait if I have to.
    I've read on Twitter they have said the iOS 5 version comes out when iOS 5 is out

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro976 View Post
    Can't download callbar. I'm on iOS 5 beta 3 and the install button does not even dhow up, it just says refresh. :-(
    Although CallBar is compatible on 5.x, we (Elias Limneos and I) can't distribute it until iOS 5 is publicly released.

Quote Originally Posted by PathKiller29 View Post
    I've read on Twitter they have said the iOS 5 version comes out when iOS 5 is out
    This is correct - it is against Apple NDA to sell products on beta firmwares. So, when iOS 5 comes out, you will be able to download on 5.x.
    Last edited by Joshua Tucker; 07-21-2011 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Tucker View Post
    Although CallBar is compatible on 5.x, we (Elias Limneos and I) can't distribute it until iOS 5 is publicly released.

This is correct - it is against Apple NDA to sell products on beta firmwares. So, when iOS 5 comes out, you will be able to download on 5.x.
    Seriously, doesn't jail breaking your device and therefore even getting this tweak violate Apples NDA?

Quote Originally Posted by scottw03 View Post
    Seriously, doesn't jail breaking your device and therefore even getting this tweak violate Apples NDA?
    Jailbreaking is legal in the United States as deemed by the Supreme Court. The reason the NDA is in place is because it is in beta - you can definitely suffer huge consequences for doing so. This is applicable for all software releases (for any applications or beta products). As long as you don't infringe on copyrights or do something illegal, the only thing Apple can do if your device is jailbroken is refuse upholding warranty or liability.

And this doesn't just apply to the jailbreak community - notice how no AppStore applications are being released that are iOS 5 compatible? Bingo.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Tucker View Post
    Jailbreaking is legal in the United States as deemed by the Supreme Court. The reason the NDA is in place is because it is in beta - you can definitely suffer huge consequences for doing so. This is applicable for all software releases (for any applications or beta products). As long as you don't infringe on copyrights or do something illegal, the only thing Apple can do if your device is jailbroken is refuse upholding warranty or liability.

And this doesn't just apply to the jailbreak community - notice how no AppStore applications are being released that are iOS 5 compatible? Bingo.
    what i ur selling an item that just happens to iOS5 compatible?
    say dreamboard for instance

would that have anything to do with it becoming free?

Quote Originally Posted by PathKiller29 View Post
    what i ur selling an item that just happens to iOS5 compatible?
    say dreamboard for instance

would that have anything to do with it becoming free?
    I didn't really understand your first sentence but I will explain what I think you're asking:

We tested 4.x and iOS 5.x compatibility so that we're prepared for iOS 5 when it releases. That doesn't mean we were planning on releasing it to 5.x users, as again, it is in beta and against the law.

And in regards to DreamBoard, I'm not actually sure why.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast