+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cheaper iPhone May Come End of Summer (Is it the 3Gs?)

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
The folks over at BGR say they have solid new info, re-iterating some recent rumors that Apple is set to launch a less expensive iPhone option to costumers, supposedly alongside
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default Cheaper iPhone May Come End of Summer (Is it the 3Gs?)

The folks over at BGR say they have solid new info, re-iterating some recent rumors that Apple is set to launch a less expensive iPhone option to costumers, supposedly alongside the successor to the iPhone 4.

Since its been over a year since Apple has released new iPhone hardware, rumors regarding Apple's next lineup of smartphones have piling up over the past weeks. Now BGR has info from "an incredibly solid source" that Apple will launch an iPhone that would retail (without contract) for $350.
    That price is significant, as Apple's only unlocked option in the US the iPhone 4 which retails at $649 and $749. BGR says that Apple may decide to continue to make the iPhone 3Gs available to customers, possibly along with the iPhone 4 AND iPhone 4S/5.

BGR also adds their own confirmation that the iPhone 5 will feature a "radical new design" however their is some skepticism to that piece, I'd say we'd already have seen cases that out the new design (like it did with the iPad 2). We'll take that particular rumor with a healthy grain of salt.

If this all turns out to be true, Apple's smartphone success could skyrocket in the coming months, as they would offer high, mid, and low-end smartphone models. If you sprinkle-inn some of the rumors that Apple will offer the iPhone on Sprint and T-Mobile, Apple may be poised to completely dominate the American smartphone market, not to mention the possibility that U.S. Consumers could finally be able to affordably switch carriers with much greater ease.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

My dad really wants an iphone without a data plan do u think they might make an iphone that doesnt need a data plan. My dad doesnt want to pay the 15 a month for something he doesnt use He just wants the phone itself just to make calls. My dad only wants an iphone nothing else.

iPhone? More like MyPhone krosis's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by matrixhunter View Post
    My dad really wants an iphone without a data plan do u think they might make an iphone that doesnt need a data plan. My dad doesnt want to pay the 15 a month for something he doesnt use He just wants the phone itself just to make calls. My dad only wants an iphone nothing else.
    The phone itself doesn't need a data plan, the carriers just try to make you have one.

My dad had some cheap flip-phone, and I dropped his SIM in my old iPhone 3G with cellular data disabled, and AT&T never cared enough to bug us about it.
    Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible. -- M.C. Escher
    The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge. -- D.J. Boorstin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by krosis View Post
    The phone itself doesn't need a data plan, the carriers just try to make you have one.

My dad had some cheap flip-phone, and I dropped his SIM in my old iPhone 3G with cellular data disabled, and AT&T never cared enough to bug us about it.
    Yea i have my old iphone 3g in the drawer where it has neva been touched ever since i got my iphone 4 we put the sim card in it and my dad told me the battery kept on dying to fast even with everything turned off he barely makes any calls and sometimes doesnt make a call at all or doesnt even use the phone and the battery drains alot and he got annoyed and took the sim card out and put it back in his old phone he really wants an iphone badly without a data plan

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

They will add a data plan if you drop your sim in an iPhone, and to be honest their is no reason to have an iPhone if your not going to use data. It's made for the Internet ya know.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Italia411's Avatar
    Thanks

That's like having a Ferrari in the driveway you can't drive. All sorts of apps that would increase dads productivity

iPhone? More like MyPhone spider_romeo's Avatar
    Thanks

Just go to China and buy iPhone without wi-fi.....

iPhone? More like MyPhone Mysterion's Avatar
    Thanks
    iPhone Mini?
    iPhone 4 Verizon

Untethered jailbroken w/ Sn0wbreeze

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

iMini iPhoni

Thanks

He could say buy an iphone outright and get a cheaper/free phone activated and pop the sim in from the cheaper phone to the iphone...

But that'll still be odd because almost everything the iphone does other then calls uses data as a backend...

I remember back in 2007-08 I had the opposite going on I had an iphone on go phone and when I stopped paying it they left the unlimited data on even tho it couldnt make/receive calls

lol I swear non of those posts where there b4 i typed my response anywho looks like matrixhunter hijacked the thread
    Last edited by juggz143; 07-18-2011 at 04:38 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I'm positive those kinds of offers will be offered soon enough. I know many people that completely removed their data a year into their 1 year contract.
    If I helped you in any way, please click on the button!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Dranon's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iphone ithout data plan
    OK so go to puretalkusa.com get a sim card and put it in your iphone. It is an mvno that uses ATT network. No need to unlock or jailbreak. Unlimited voice and text for $39.95. There are cheaper plans avaiable as low as $10/month! No data available works flawlessly! Just no mms only sms because mms is data. My kids have iphones with no data on this plan and it is great. I gave them our old 3GS iphones when we upgraded to the iphone 4!
    All you weirdos out there who think a data plan is NEEDED on the iphone or it is no good do not think About other peoples needs or wants. Some of us just use data on wi-fi anyway and paying for data is a waste!

Thanks

Default Can't do it on ATT
    He won't be able to use an iPhone (or any other smartphone) with ATT w/o a data plan. They won't allow even a non-subsidized smartphone purchased someplace else to be used on their network w/o a current data plan. I don't know about Verizon, however I would doubt it since their iPhone is carrier specific.

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Barber01 View Post
    They will add a data plan if you drop your sim in an iPhone, and to be honest their is no reason to have an iPhone if your not going to use data. It's made for the Internet ya know.
    "They will add a data plan if you drop your sim in an iPhone" (not true)...

Quote Originally Posted by HCWHunter View Post
    He won't be able to use an iPhone (or any other smartphone) with ATT w/o a data plan. They won't allow even a non-subsidized smartphone purchased someplace else to be used on their network w/o a current data plan. I don't know about Verizon, however I would doubt it since their iPhone is carrier specific.
    Yes he can...
    Last edited by javiert30; 07-18-2011 at 11:59 PM.
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by javiert30 View Post

Yes he can...
    And your source for that is? My wife put her sim into an old Blackberry from my daughter and ATT added a $25 data plan the next month. I called and argued with the supervisor that she didn't want a data plan and the BB was over 2 yrs. old so out of contract but she said ALL smartphones MUST have a data plan. They reversed the charge but we had to remove the sim from the BB. I don't understand why they would add the higher price data plan instead of the $15 plan but it is what it is. My daughter is grandfathered on her line so she can use my old 3G iPhone w/o data but no new smartphone can be added w/o data now.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yes he can...
    Sorry but it is true I've worked for AT&T for over 2 years now and I can assure you it is very true. Besides why would anyone want a smartphone without a data plan? If your not using the data features of a smartphone your better off with a quick messaging phone.

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HCWHunter View Post
    And your source for that is? My wife put her sim into an old Blackberry from my daughter and ATT added a $25 data plan the next month. I called and argued with the supervisor that she didn't want a data plan and the BB was over 2 yrs. old so out of contract but she said ALL smartphones MUST have a data plan. They reversed the charge but we had to remove the sim from the BB. I don't understand why they would add the higher price data plan instead of the $15 plan but it is what it is. My daughter is grandfathered on her line so she can use my old 3G iPhone w/o data but no new smartphone can be added w/o data now.
    My source is me, I did it, I sold my old 3gs to my friend, he had one motorola with ATT without data plan, sim dropped on 3gs and iphone with no data plan since 3 years. Yes you can.
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

You work at AT&T and believe that once you drop a SIM into an iPhone it activates a data plan. You're indicating how much of a tool AT&T really is.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Jcbzr For This Useful Post:

javiert30 (07-20-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Italia411's Avatar
    Thanks

My source is me, I did it, I sold my old 3gs to my friend, he had one motorola with ATT without data plan, sim dropped on 3gs and iphone with no data plan since 3 years. Yes you can.
    3GS has not been out for 3 years

Quote Originally Posted by Jcbzr View Post
    You work at AT&T and believe that once you drop a SIM into an iPhone it activates a data plan. You're indicating how much of a tool AT&T really is.
    I think you may be the tool here, Att has tracers in their system and "IF" they detect a smartphone they will add a data package. I can't tell you how many customers have given their kids their old smartphone only to come in complaining about a new data package on their bill they did not add.
    Last edited by Italia411; 07-20-2011 at 07:56 AM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Italia411 View Post
    I think you may be the tool here, Att has tracers in their system and "IF" they detect a smartphone they will add a data package. I can't tell you how many customers have given their kids their old smartphone only to come in complaining about a new data package on their bill they did not add.
    First that I've heard of this. My provider, Fido, can only identify which and what SIM I am using (Regular or Micro). They would have to ask me what phone I am using in order to know what phone I am using. I'm sure if I popped in my mother's SIM into my iPhone she would not have a data package added onto her without her consent. Hence, I'm not sure how the laws in the U.S.A are regarding such things, but the provider can't add extras without the user's consent. Furthermore, if it does happen, the add-ons are removed and compensation is provided.