+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cheaper iPhone May Come End of Summer (Is it the 3Gs?)

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by Italia411 3GS has not been out for 3 years I think you may be the tool here, Att has tracers in their system and "IF" they detect
    Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Italia411 View Post
    3GS has not been out for 3 years

I think you may be the tool here, Att has tracers in their system and "IF" they detect a smartphone they will add a data package. I can't tell you how many customers have given their kids their old smartphone only to come in complaining about a new data package on their bill they did not add.
    Yes you are right about the 3 years, it was a little less, but it was a 3GS. If they have tracers or whatever, their tracers are failing with me then... again, yes you can have an iPhone without data plan.

Let me see if you can make a little test, just a simple test. On that sweet and cute iPhone 4 or whatever you have, go to settings, general then network. Turn your "CELLULAR DATA OFF" now can you make a call?. Now, can you use your iPhone without data plan? How ATT are going to know if you have an iPhone and it need a data plan if you are not trying to use it. Im talking about an iPhone with out contract off course bought from somebody. If you had one motorola razor before they still believing that you have that phone with the sim card there. But if somebody is soooo stupid to tell them that you are using an iPhone of course they are going to force you a data plan. Yes ATT can see if you are tethering but that's because you have data plan already and they can see the drastic change on your monthly data usage or that thing that you call tracer, they can monitor that. It's not the same thing. And yes that iPhone 3GS still working without data plan and same monthly payment.
    Last edited by javiert30; 07-20-2011 at 08:38 AM.
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

2. The Following User Says Thank You to javiert30 For This Useful Post:

Jcbzr (07-20-2011)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

+1, well said.
    If I helped you in any way, please click on the button!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Italia411 View Post
    3GS has not been out for 3 years

I think you may be the tool here, Att has tracers in their system and "IF" they detect a smartphone they will add a data package. I can't tell you how many customers have given their kids their old smartphone only to come in complaining about a new data package on their bill they did not add.
    Quote Originally Posted by Barber01 View Post
    Sorry but it is true I've worked for AT&T for over 2 years now and I can assure you it is very true. Besides why would anyone want a smartphone without a data plan? If your not using the data features of a smartphone your better off with a quick messaging phone.
    Now I know why you "worked" and are not "working"

About why would anyone want a smartphone without a data plan? I think you know that you can use WIFI on an iPhone do you? Why somebody want to use an iPhone without data plan? 1. He don't want to pay $15.00 or $25.00 for a data plan or 2. The same way you prefer maybe to use underwear with hearts and he like to use it just white. He don't have to like what you like. That's his iPhone and he want to use it in that way, that's it.
    Last edited by javiert30; 07-20-2011 at 08:56 AM.
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

5. The Following User Says Thank You to javiert30 For This Useful Post:

Jcbzr (07-20-2011)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

+2, keep it coming, Javiert. Barber and Italia, gtfo, kthx. If there are people out there with an iPhone that has no data plan after popping a SIM into the phone (which there are... plenty) then AT&T, and any other provider, can't do sh*t.
    Last edited by Jcbzr; 07-20-2011 at 08:58 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jcbzr View Post
    +2, keep it coming, Javiert. Barber and Italia, gtfo, kthx.
    Edited to more coming.

Quote Originally Posted by javiert30 View Post
    Now I know why you "worked" and are not "working"

About why would anyone want a smartphone without a data plan? I think you know that you can use WIFI on an iPhone do you? Why somebody want to use an iPhone without data plan? 1. He don't want to pay $15.00 or $25.00 for a data plan or 2. The same way you prefer maybe to use underwear with hearts and he like to use it just white. He don't have to like what you like. That's his iPhone and he want to use it in that way, that's it.
    Edited
    Last edited by javiert30; 07-20-2011 at 09:00 AM.
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

Thanks

Default No you can't
    My source is me, I did it, I sold my old 3gs to my friend, he had one motorola with ATT without data plan, sim dropped on 3gs and iphone with no data plan since 3 years. Yes you can.
    You did it? Or, your friend did it? The 3gs wasn't released until 6/19/2009, and you probably used it for at least a year (until the 4 came out) so your friend couldn't be using it for 3 yrs. Your friend must have had another smartphone prior to that which grandfathered HIS line to allow a data-free smartphone. Either that or your friend is an idiot who didn't notice the data plan added to his account.

Thanks

Yes I said after that post that I was wrong about the years if you keep reading, yes it was 3GS, he had a MOTOROLA RAZR with NO DATA PLAN. And I did it for him.
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

Thanks

Yes you are right about the 3 years, it was a little less, but it was a 3GS. If they have tracers or whatever, their tracers are failing with me then... again, yes you can have an iPhone without data plan.

Let me see if you can make a little test, just a simple test. On that sweet and cute iPhone 4 or whatever you have, go to settings, general then network. Turn your "CELLULAR DATA OFF" now can you make a call?. Now, can you use your iPhone without data plan? How ATT are going to know if you have an iPhone and it need a data plan if you are not trying to use it. Im talking about an iPhone with out contract off course bought from somebody. If you had one motorola razor before they still believing that you have that phone with the sim card there. But if somebody is soooo stupid to tell them that you are using an iPhone of course they are going to force you a data plan. Yes ATT can see if you are tethering but that's because you have data plan already and they can see the drastic change on your monthly data usage or that thing that you call tracer, they can monitor that. It's not the same thing. And yes that iPhone 3GS still working without data plan and same monthly payment.
    Turning off your cellular data doesn't change the iPhone's IMEI which identifies it as an iPhone. Go to your ATT account online and you can see all the individual phones on your account identified, smartphone or not. Drop a non-smartphone-issued sim into a smartphone and a data plan will be added the next month. Like I said before, I've done it too with my daughter's account. She had a blackberry grandfathered w/o data and we switched her sim into my old 3g and the account shows an iPhone but no data. When I tried to put my wife's sim into the old BB, ATT added data. No grandfather.

Thanks

I know it don't change my IMEI. So you are telling me that when you dropped your SIM card from the blackberry to the iPhone it updated the IMEI number that was there on their system of your blackberry to the IMEI on your iPhone and in that way they knew that you were using an iPhone?
    Last edited by javiert30; 07-20-2011 at 09:48 AM.
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

Thanks

I know it don't change my IMEI. So you are telling me that when you dropped your SIM card from the blackberry to the iPhone it updated the IMEI number that was there on their system of your blackberry to the IMEI on your iPhone and in that way they knew that you was using an iPhone?
    That's exactly what I'm saying. When I bought my i4 from Apple directly and dropped the sim into it, a few days later my ATT account showed an i4 for me and the 3GS for my son, who had the 3G before. You don't have to tell ATT what phone you're using, their network identifies it.

Thanks

Ok so the SIM card transfered your IMEI to their system... OK!
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I don't buy it. Until you go to Apple and register it under your own name, and that information is forwarded to the wireless provider, all they know is what you tell them. I can switch from one iPhone 4 to another and then another and they won't know. If I cut my SIM myself rather than putting in a micro-SIM to begin with, my provider would still think I am using an iPhone 3GS.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jcbzr For This Useful Post:

javiert30 (07-20-2011)

Thanks

+1
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

Thanks

Ok so the SIM card transfered your IMEI to their system... OK!
    No, not the sim. The i4 uses a micro sim so it was a new sim, not my old 3GS sim. ALL carriers can tell which model of phone you are using by the IMEI, not just ATT although other carriers may not look or care.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcbzr View Post
    I don't buy it. Until you go to Apple and register it under your own name, and that information is forwarded to the wireless provider, all they know is what you tell them. I can switch from one iPhone 4 to another and then another and they won't know. If I cut my SIM myself rather than putting in a micro-SIM to begin with, my provider would still think I am using an iPhone 3GS.
    Nope. The carrier can tell from the IMEI which phone you are using. Carriers other than ATT may not care or look, but they can tell. Here's another test. Try taking the micro sim out of your i4 and putting it into an iPad 3G and see if you can get data. It won't work.
    Last edited by HCWHunter; 07-20-2011 at 12:07 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HCWHunter View Post
    Nope. The carrier can tell from the IMEI which phone you are using. Carriers other than ATT may not care or look, but they can tell. Here's another test. Try taking the micro sim out of your i4 and putting it into an iPad 3G and see if you can get data. It won't work.
    So explain why my provider constantly calls me to confirm if I'm still using my 3GS or my 4. It would make more sense if the phone was locked to the provider and they had the phone info. Otherwise, I'm not a believer.

I'm strictly talking about iPhones, I don't think that the iPad 3G has any relevance to this debate. Plus, I'm sure that the reverse won't work either, i.e. putting an iPad SIM into an iPhone.

iPhone? More like MyPhone dale2's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HCWHunter View Post
    No, not the sim. The i4 uses a micro sim so it was a new sim, not my old 3GS sim. ALL carriers can tell which model of phone you are using by the IMEI, not just ATT although other carriers may not look or care.

who told you an iphone 4 sim wouldnt give data to an ipad 3G?
    just change the cellular data apn

at&t and t-mobile both use imei numbers to identify what phone you are using.
    i gave my gf(who had a line on her moms family plan, with just voice, sms, and mms) an iphone 3G and she got a text from at&t that she was using an iphone that required a data plan and one was added.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Sucks to be on a provider that adds add-ons without confirmation.

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12