+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: US Troops May Soon Be Equipped With Smartphones

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
If the U.S. military does start issuing smarthphones to troops, please for the love of Freedom Fries, and Harley Davidsons make Angry Birds impossible to load on the devices. I'm
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default US Troops May Soon Be Equipped With Smartphones

If the U.S. military does start issuing smarthphones to troops, please for the love of Freedom Fries, and Harley Davidsons make Angry Birds impossible to load on the devices.

I'm not joking. The easiest way to make the most powerful military force on earth irrelevant would be to figure out how to load Angry Birds or any of the Zynga games on our troops' phones.

That said, the army is about to conclude a six-week program to test how viable touchscreen phones, and tablets are in combat. According to CNN Army officials have been so impressed with the pilot program that began June 6, they expect to see the first wave of "smartphone-equipped soldiers" shipped overseas by years end.

The smartphones are being used by young soldiers familiar with "texting" to submit and fill out reports, pull up maps, send pictures with attached GPS information adn other things the younger generation are already accustomed to doing.

The military tested a number of devices including multiple Android handsets as well as the iPhone. Their only real complain about the iPhone?

"AT&T didn't provide service there."

Big surprise huh? Ed Mazzanti, the director of the mobile-device program, expects the army to go with two mobile operating systems for official use. Expect those two platforms to be iOS and Android devices.

The Army is also testing a "cell tower in a suitcase," which creates a limited range wireless network that "would be used when service is unreliable or likely to attract unwanted listeners."

AT&T service problem solved.

Source: CNN

iPhone? More like MyPhone jiniej's Avatar
    Thanks

I really like this site. Just please, spell check.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

A military test, obviously done on a large militartly compound...most likely out in a desert environment...is it suprising that there is no cell service?
    El Zurdo

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I imagine that instead of having "stock" iOS and Android systems the military would hire the companies to produce a "military grade" iOS and Android system that is MUCH more secure, already unlocked/jailbroken, and has no default apps so that the military egg heads can SSH/install custom military apps onto the phones and prevent soldiers from texting/calling/facebooking/twittering/doing-everything-else-ing. Great concept, terrible idea in my opinion.

And honestly, I'd rather have a more reliable flak jacket than a smartphone because the government feels that it should help me fill out reports rather than help me not die.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post
    A military test, obviously done on a large militartly compound...most likely out in a desert environment...is it suprising that there is no cell service?
    There won't be any service in Afghanistan either. The service there is Roshan and AWCC but they don't provide data service. The Military will have to provide their own 3G service in the current war zones.

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

more iOS devices in the world wooohooo

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Swanson View Post

If the U.S. military does start issuing smarthphones to troops, please for the love of Freedom Fries, and Harley Davidsons make Angry Birds impossible to load on the devices.

I'm not joking. The easiest way to make the most powerful military force on earth irrelevant would be to figure out how to load Angry Birds or any of the Zynga games on our troops' phones.
    It takes more than the ability to do something to cause harm......it takes the actual ACTION of the individual. And if our military personnel do not have the discipline to know that playing games in the middle of an overseas wartime environment is a very bad idea, then they deserve the consequences that go along with it. They simply have to be ordered not to do such ridiculous things and it is their sworn duty to uphold that order. The rest is on their integrity which the majority of military personnel greatly possess.

Next time just stick to the topic in your article and leave your opinions on the U.S. military out of it.

Now as far as the article is concerned, I don't see how this is a viable strategy considering these devices don't have a very broad operating temperature and wont do to well in 100+ degree weather (or very cold weather) for extended periods of time. And considering the fact that they don't last very long on a battery charge under the likely heavy usage they would undergo overseas, thats another reason not to implement this idea....IMO.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Wanna divert a nuclear missile?? There's an App for that!!