Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS 4.3.4 Released - Stay Away If Jailbroken

Default iOS 4.3.4 Released - Stay Away If Jailbroken

Today, Apple has released the newest updated version of iOS - 4.3.4. This release is a rebuttal to the PDF exploit found and implemented in comex (@comex)'s JailbreakMe 3.0. The PDF hole was a security issue regardless of the involvement of JailbreakMe - however, news of this hole reached Apple because of what comex did with JailbreakMe 3.0 (also potentially by the leaked version before release of JailbreakMe 3.0). iOS 4.3.4 is for all iDevices - iPhone, iPod, and iPad (1 - 2).

A word of warning from MuscleNerd (@MuscleNerd):

If you value your jailbreak, do NOT update: make sure to preserve your SHSH blobs also.

A support document from Apple gives an overview of the security content in iOS 4.3.4:

Security Content of iOS 4.3.4

A shout-out to @iNeal11 for catching my attention on Twitter - give him a follow!

UPDATED: This update includes Verizon devices also (4.2.9). Same disclaimer as above.

Source(s): Apple
    Last edited by Joshua Tucker; 07-15-2011 at 12:03 PM.

Thanks

That didn't take long! Thanks for the heads up.

i swear apple always do the same thing. they do stupid updates that dont actually do anything they just ruin the jailbreaking fun. I HAVE NO RESPECT FOR APPLE RIGHT NOW.
    but they do protect other peoples devices who havnt jailbroken.
    Last edited by flubberducky5; 07-15-2011 at 12:21 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Don't ya just love this 'cat & mouse' game

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Why go for this update if it brings no new features without a jailbreak I wouldnt have the privilege of using iphone 4

Here come the idiots asking: When will the jailbreak for 4.2.9 and 4.3.4 be out? Because they will "mistakenly" update today.

Quote Originally Posted by godfred212 View Post
    Why go for this update if it brings no new features without a jailbreak I wouldnt have the privilege of using iphone 4
    For those who are not jailbroken, the PDF hole is a potential security risk. The reason why it has been OK for jailbroken users is because they can apply the PDF Patcher 2 to block the hole after jailbreaking. This is not the case for stock iOS users.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Joshua Tucker For This Useful Post:

raduga (07-16-2011)

Right now, hundreds of people are pushing the Update button on iTunes, and you just know the boards will soon be flooded with posts saying, "Oh, no, help me, I just updated and lost my jailbreak."

It kinda makes you wonder: at hundreds of megs per iOS firmware update, how much money is Apple spending in releasing these tiny updates to combat jailbreaking? That's a ton of bandwidth.

After all, they don't do micro-updates, if you want the new firmware you have to download it in its entirety. (yeah, I hear this is changing in iOS 5)
    Last edited by Jahooba; 07-15-2011 at 12:23 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,285 Times in 7,011 Posts

I hope this didn't patch the i0nic untether for the other devices as well. If it did I would have to question whether releasing jailbreakme before 5.0 was really necessary or not.

iPhone? More like MyPhone SwatPac's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flubberducky5 View Post
    i swear apple always do the same thing. they do stupid updates that dont actually do anything they just ruin the jailbreaking fun. I HAVE NO RESPECT FOR APPLE RIGHT NOW.
    They do this to protect the innocent iPhone users in danger to this exploit. just as this exploit is used to jailbreak, it can be used for other evil things. Maybe you would respect Apple if they stopped protecting us, and started giving us buggy crap like Android does? Jailbreak developers count on Apple to patch the holes they uncovered before some 12 year old "lulzsec" wannabe starts screwing with peoples phones.

Don't Hate - Appreciate!
    When Is The Apple iCar Coming Out? I Want One!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

As expected, a quick and swift fw update. At least I don't need to bother updating any guides of mine for 4.3.4 considering it's not a fw version worth upgrading to.

Everybody, if you haven't already save those 4.3.3 SHSHs quick

Hey today i was going to update my ipad 2 from 4.3.0 to 4.3.3, and then rejailbreak. Is there a way to do this? or am i stuck on 4.3.0 for the time being.

Thanks

You can likely still update to 4.3.3. Shift+restore to custom or stock 4.3.3, Apple should still be signing it if the previous pattern is maintained. Apple usually doesn't stop signing one fw version prior to the newest until a few days later.

I was just about to buy my wife an iPad 2. I'm pretty sure the iPads at BestBuy aren't on 4.3.4 and probably not even on 4.3.3. If I buy an iPad2 from BestBuy, can I update it to 4.3.3 and use jailbreakme.com?

Thanks
    Thanked 15,285 Times in 7,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KiZZ View Post
    I was just about to buy my wife an iPad 2. I'm pretty sure the iPads at BestBuy aren't on 4.3.4 and probably not even on 4.3.3. If I buy an iPad2 from BestBuy, can I update it to 4.3.3 and use jailbreakme.com?
    If you get it now you can. Save your SHSH as soon as possible. Once Apple stops signing 4.3.3 it will be too late.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    You can likely still update to 4.3.3. Shift+restore to custom or stock 4.3.3, Apple should still be signing it if the previous pattern is maintained. Apple usually doesn't stop signing one fw version prior to the newest until a few days later.
    +1. She is exactly correct. Just save your SHSH blobs since Apple is still currently signing them and update away using the shift+restore method

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Tucker View Post
    For those who are not jailbroken, the PDF hole is a potential security risk. The reason why it has been OK for jailbroken users is because they can apply the PDF Patcher 2 to block the hole after jailbreaking. This is not the case for stock iOS users.
    Thank you, voice of reason.

Apple can't sit back and leave a security hole in their device. That would be a big no-no.

That said, I'm glad I got my iPad replaced already, so I don't have to worry about this.

That said, my replacement iPad was 4.3.1, so maybe my worry is for nothing

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    Awesome! Thanks for the reply! I'm in the same boat as tampabuc. So even If I haven't downloaded 4.3.3 yet? Will I just have to download 4.3.3 from another source and then do the shift click restore and choose the 4.3.3 I downloaded from the web?

Thanks

Yep you can just grab a stock 4.3.3 from elsewhere such as felixbruns.de or iClarified. A standard shift+restore without SHSHs will work fine right now and possibly a few days from today. Remember if you need to maintain an unlock, you'll want to use a custom fw. This may still be done without SHSHs as well.

I can't emphasize enough, save your SHSHs for 4.3.3 *NOW* before Apple stops signing

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast