+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New iPhone Cable Boasts Three Additional USB Ports

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Apple products - namely the company's iDevices - aren't known for their plentiful USB port availability. But, fortunately for the rest of us, there are scores of innovative minds working
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default New iPhone Cable Boasts Three Additional USB Ports

Apple products - namely the company's iDevices - aren't known for their plentiful USB port availability. But, fortunately for the rest of us, there are scores of innovative minds working overtime to correct this dilemma. For proof, look no further than DITS, where the latest buzz-worthy creation is a multifunction iPhone cable with a 3-port USB hub.

This nifty cable is likely to rank somewhere pretty high-up in the "must-have" category of iDevice accessories. So attractive will this product be to avid Apple product users that one has to speculate as to why Apple dropped the ball and didn't roll out a similar Apple-branded accessory already.

Features/Specs:
    • Three USB 2.0 Pors
    • Supports up to 480 Mbps transfer rate
    • Plug-n-Play
    • iPhone/iPod connector 30-pin dock connector
    • USB 2.0 interface
    • PC and Mac compatible
    Unfortunately, the DITS store hasn't yet been updated to include this expanded USB-hub charging/syncing cable. So, for now, we don't have a price tag attached to this little beauty. But keep an eye out. It's debut is likely right around the corner.

Source: DITS

Thanks
    Thanked 2,187 Times in 979 Posts

See, Apple's not completely selfish! They give the little guy a chance to make other useful products for our devices!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    See, Apple's not completely selfish! They give the little guy a chance to make other useful products for our devices!
    Sometimes true. More times than most Apple restricts the use of cheaper aftermarket accessories by developing software that only accepts products with the little Apple logo on them, forcing us to pay the "Apple Tax".

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

So it's basically a four-port hub with one port permanently occupied by your charge/sync cable that you can't simply disconnect when you want to use the wall charger. Definitely NOT a "must have."

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
    So it's basically a four-port hub with one port permanently occupied by your charge/sync cable that you can't simply disconnect when you want to use the wall charger. Definitely NOT a "must have."
    WHAT??????? That didn't even make sence. It looks to me that one end plugs INTO your wall charger, the other to your iphone, leaving the extra usb ports in the center to use with perhaps a second iphone? YA THINK?? Definate MUST HAVE !!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I hope they tested to make sure that the cord won't overheat from having 4 sources running through it.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John1177 View Post
    WHAT??????? That didn't even make sence. It looks to me that one end plugs INTO your wall charger, the other to your iphone, leaving the extra usb ports in the center to use with perhaps a second iphone? YA THINK?? Definate MUST HAVE !!
    It is just a streamlined USB hub. It's no different than having a USB Hub plugged into your Mac/PC/Wall Charger and then having an iPhone cable plugged into the hub. This just puts it all into a single cable.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this cable DOES NOT allow you connect USB devices to your iPhone.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Yep, it's one of these with a permanent iPod cable plugged into the one at the end.

Mini Rectangle Shape USB 2.0 Hi-Speed 4-Port Hub (480Mbps) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

I have one and it's extremely useful, especially for my MBA with only 2 USB ports.

Bonus- only $4 shipped (add $2 for an iPod cable if you want). I'm pretty sure this more limited version will be a lot more.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,187 Times in 979 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by frejes32 View Post
    Sometimes true. More times than most Apple restricts the use of cheaper aftermarket accessories by developing software that only accepts products with the little Apple logo on them, forcing us to pay the "Apple Tax".
    LOL, agreed! I never said Apple wouldn't eventually stick their hands in the cookie jar; they just let the little guy make the product...then pounce!!! I figure they'll prolly restrict it one way or another!

Thanks

haha agreed
    iPhone 4 gsm
    iPod Touch 4
    iPod Touch 2

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

Lol i give this product 3 fails out of 5. Stupidest thing i've ever seen.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Xenthis's Avatar
    Thanks

First, it IS just a 4 port USB hub.... Go online and research some... Second - It is not a MUST HAVE accessory - like the person above said - it is just a 4 port usb hub with one port permanently occupied by your sync cable - and there is no doubt in my mind that it will be overpriced - look at apples wall charger

AND THEIR BATTERY CHARGER! WTF!

Windows 7 x64
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.5ghz
    EVGA Nvidia GTX 570 Classified SLI
    1200watt Antec PSU
    Haf X
    EVGA P67 FTW
    Corsair H80
    Corsair Vengeance 16gig 8-8-8-24
    Sony Optiarc 24x

Thanks

If the three USB ports cannot be recognized by the iPhone then this is a complete waste of resources for the developing company.

They better make that abundantly clear to purchasers or they will have a buttload of returned products.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Xenthis's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by z6joker9 View Post
    Yep, it's one of these with a permanent iPod cable plugged into the one at the end.

Mini Rectangle Shape USB 2.0 Hi-Speed 4-Port Hub (480Mbps) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

I have one and it's extremely useful, especially for my MBA with only 2 USB ports.

Bonus- only $4 shipped (add $2 for an iPod cable if you want). I'm pretty sure this more limited version will be a lot more.
    DealExtreme = The best place to buy junk ever!

Windows 7 x64
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.5ghz
    EVGA Nvidia GTX 570 Classified SLI
    1200watt Antec PSU
    Haf X
    EVGA P67 FTW
    Corsair H80
    Corsair Vengeance 16gig 8-8-8-24
    Sony Optiarc 24x

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hossinator96 View Post