Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Retrevo Finds 34% of iPhone Owners Mistakenly Believe Their Device is 4G

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

Default Retrevo Finds 34% of iPhone Owners Mistakenly Believe Their Device is 4G

Yes, you read the headline correctly. A new - but really difficult to believe - survey from Retrevo shows that more than one-third of iPhone owners are clueless. At least that's how some are interpreting the findings of the survey. Based on the startling results, 34% of iPhone users incorrectly believe they currently have "4G" cellular technology.

If that percentage appears a bit hefty to you, you're not alone. But assuming the numbers are correct and reveal a reality few of us know about, there are many reasons why such confusion may persist in the mobile phone world. Of course, we all know at least one person who had to be corrected about the iPhone 4 - which, despite its title, is not really a "4G" device.

For the casual iPhone user who regularly encounters mobile terminology but never looks into the fancy words floating around, it's easy to see where 4G, 4th generation, 4G LTE networks, etc. could prove substantially mind-boggling. And the Retrevo survey seems to confirm it to a breathtaking degree.

As Verizon continues to roll out their 4G LTE network across the country at an accelerated rate and AT&T also picking up speed in their 4G deployment it would seem that widespread 4G adoption is a foregone conclusion. Unfortunately, it looks like consumers may be so confused over 4G that they become hesitant to move to 4G, at least in the near term.
    To be sure, we're not just poking fun at a lack of knowledge on the part of some iPhone users. This persistent confusion is penetrating the vast smartphone universe. "BlackBerry owners (24%) are almost as confused as iPhone owners since RIM doesn’t currently offer a 4G phone," Retrevo says. "At least some Android owners could be answering correctly as Android 4G phones like the HTC Evo 4G or Samsung Infuse 4G have been available for some time. If nothing else this large number of 'misinformed' phone owners serves to emphasize the fact that consumers are quite confused about 4G."

To read the full report and its findings, check out the Retrevo Blog.

Source: Retrevo

lol

Sorry I'm out of that 34%....

at least no one thinks his device is on 3GS network as a friend of mine

Not to restate the obvious, but besides the people who hang out in this forum, most Apple device fans are usually not tech-savvy enough to understand the hardware differences or the network specification. Most people don't even know what carriers are CDMA or GSM or LTE unless they've changed carriers a few times. What people do know is the fake terms made up for a display on the phone,

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeCarb View Post
    Now that's funny! lol

Lmao I thought it was at least 50%
    Half the people I know think they have 4g
    And if they don't they still think their iPhone is called 4g

Thanks

It says "3G" in the effing corner next to the signal bars!

I don't know why I'm surprised. The lady in front of me in line for the i4 on release day was in her 50's, clearly addicted to various forms of (poorly done) plastic surgery, just had to have the new iPhone. When asked if she wanted 16GB or 32GB she had no idea what the AT&T employee was asking her. So she went with the 32GB.

Banned
    Thanks

one third of iphone users are clues, that doesn't surprise me.

Most probably think iPhone 4 = 4G

If your going to be technical, no network has 4G, HSDPA+ is 3.5G. Only in America do carriers lie about this, in other countries no one lies and calls it 4G, because it's not

12. The Following User Says Thank You to whereswaldo For This Useful Post:

spazturtle (07-12-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    If your going to be technical, no network has 4G, HSDPA+ is 3.5G. Only in America do carriers lie about this, in other countries no one lies and calls it 4G, because it's not
    hahahah Pwnd.

They should sue Apple for naming their iphones xG

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I work at Att selling phones and I have around 3 customers per day come in and ask for the new 4G iPhone. One girl actually tried to argue with me because she "knew" that her iPhone 4 was 4G. Lmao. I love those customers..... Reminds me why I love my job

iPhone? More like MyPhone Xenthis's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Axecaster View Post
    Not to restate the obvious, but besides the people who hang out in this forum, most Apple device fans are usually not tech-savvy enough to understand the hardware differences or the network specification. Most people don't even know what carriers are CDMA or GSM or LTE unless they've changed carriers a few times. What people do know is the fake terms made up for a display on the phone,
    +1

Windows 7 x64
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.5ghz
    EVGA Nvidia GTX 570 Classified SLI
    1200watt Antec PSU
    Haf X
    EVGA P67 FTW
    Corsair H80
    Corsair Vengeance 16gig 8-8-8-24
    Sony Optiarc 24x

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeCarb View Post
    Aww man I wish I could like or +1 you for this

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    I would click "Thank" but MMI seams to have mislaid the button. Never mind found it. It is really single to find out if you are on a 4G network, 4G IPv6 only so you should be able to connect to IPv6 sites.

Also LTE is 3.7G as HSPA is 3.5G
    Last edited by spazturtle; 07-12-2011 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    one third of iphone users are clues, that doesn't surprise me.
    One third of droid users have also been proven to not be able to spell. (clues? I think you mean clueless) Fail!

Quote Originally Posted by spazturtle View Post
    I would click "Thank" but MMI seams to have mislaid the button. Never mind found it. It is really single to find out if you are on a 4G network, 4G IPv6 only so you should be able to connect to IPv6 sites.

Also LTE is 3.7G as HSPA is 3.5G
    Obviously, my iPod Touch is on a 4G network, because it has a front and back camera, and my wifi router has 4 green lights when I connect to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor-girl View Post
    One third of droid users have also been proven to not be able to spell. (clues? I think you mean clueless) Fail!
    I suspect more than one third of iPhone users are clues. Perhaps even all of them- though not all are clueless.

Keep in mind these salient facts:
    • first generation iPhone = "iPhone" or "iPhone 2G" - had 2G network capability
    • second generation iPhone = "iPhone 3G" - had 3G network capability
    • third generation iPhone = "iPhone 3GS" - had 3G network capability
    • fourth generation iPhone = "iPhone 4G" - had 3G network capability

34% of users are stupid?
    Or have they grown too trusting of their corporate masters,
    and expect the numbers to actually make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by reprazent1 View Post
    They should sue Apple for naming their iphones xG
    It's stands for Xth Generation. I get confused too sometimes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast