Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Asks ITC to Ban Imports of HTC Products

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

Default Apple Asks ITC to Ban Imports of HTC Products

Another day, another patent suit. Rather than making daily headlines on account of innovation and enterprise, Apple seems to have become the veritable tabloid drama-queen of the patent infringement world. And, unfortunately for readers, it's not quite as juicy as other tabloid fodder.

Nonetheless, Apple is making another major legal powerplay, this time in hopes of shutting down imports of rival HTC's devices. According to a report this morning from Bloomberg, Apple has just filed a second patent-infringement complaint against HTC at the U.S. International Trade Commission.

If you haven't been keeping score, Apple has been all about using the ITC to combat makers of mobile devices that oppose its iOS platform. And chief among the rivals Apple is trying to knock down a peg is Google’s Android operating system.

A judge isn't scheduled to issue a decision on Apple's first filing against HTC until August 5th, so it isn't clear how long it will take for the ITC to get around to this matter. For Apple, however, a decision can't come soon enough, as the Cupertino-tech giant is clearly aiming to use the legal route to help combat the fact that Android is quickly becoming a dominant player in the mobile world.

Source: Bloomberg

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

More crying to the ITC again ehh Apple. No one likes a cry baby.

Get over it apple. Android is better than the iPhone (non jailbroken) so now you have to resort to this? The iPad still has the edge over the android tablet for now. Of course this is all my opinion so take it for what it's worth.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

So Apple infringes on patents and only has to pay a "small" fine when they do, but when a company infringes on Apple then Apple wants them permanently deported.

What about The recent judgment against Apple in the Nokia lawsuit where Apple was ordered to pay more than $600 million plus royalties on iPhone sales.....when is Apple going to be banned from U.S. sales for THAT?

Banned
    Thanks

So this is what happens when the competition is better than you. an endless array of frivolous lawsuits!!!!

I swear I will NOT buy another iPhone when the contracts end on our iPhone 4's. In fact, Ive already decided on which Android phone to buy this summer.

Im so glad I never bought an ipad., I waited patiently for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and Im very happy with it.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I'm also thinking of jumping ship to the Galaxy S II. Just gonna wait to see if the iPhone 5 with iOS5 is anything to be bothered with.

When iOS 5 is released let's see if Google &Microsoft does the same to Apple. Apple has never been able to handle competition. Thats the only reason they fight jail breaking. Devs in Cydia are making money & Apple is loosing out on the 30% cut.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Go Gators's Avatar
    Thanks

It's funny how ModMyi calls every company, except Apple, "Patent Trolls" for suing over patent infringement. If any company is Trolling it is definitely Apple!

Because of all these bogus lawsuits Apple is filing it is making me believe more and more that the next iPhone is NOT going to be that big of a change from the current iPhone 4. Apple knows the iPhone 5 is going to be a huge disappointment compared to the competition, so they are doing the only thing left they can do, sue everyone else and try to silence the competition. It's desperate and pathetic, but that's Apple.

If the iPhone 5 was going to be an amazing product there is no way Apple would be wasting all this time and money to try and silence the competition. The iPhone 5 would do it all by itself.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Go Gators View Post
    If the iPhone 5 was going to be an amazing product there is no way Apple would be wasting all this time and money to try and silence the competition. The iPhone 5 would do it all by itself.
    Agree. iPhone and iOS is becoming very stale, very fast.

God I hate apple. They start losing market share to a superior platform so instead of improving upon their products, they resort to lawsuits. Pathetic.

In case you were wondering, I have an iPhone 3gs. Soon as the GS2 is out in the US im switching for good though.

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Agree. iPhone and iOS is becoming very stale, very fast.
    I second this, was a iPhone user since the beginning, I turned to HTC and android, and I tell you I'm not looking back..apple iOS wishes it was it could be on the same level as android.. It will never happen. Apple is a bitter and stubborn old mule. They bring out this wonderful product, and tell us we can't do this, we cant do that. Get over yourselves!

Here's one thing that makes my HTC incredible S significantly better over iphone4... I can access flash pages on my device... Take that apple....

Thanks

Goo apple!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

In typical one-sided fanboy fashion.....here's what this article DIDN'T tell you. HTC has filed it's own counter-suit against Apple asking for a ban on APPLE handsets in the U.S.

Default $600 Mill. is a "small" fine?
    Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    So Apple infringes on patents and only has to pay a "small" fine when they do, but when a company infringes on Apple then Apple wants them permanently deported.

What about The recent judgment against Apple in the Nokia lawsuit where Apple was ordered to pay more than $600 million plus royalties on iPhone sales.....when is Apple going to be banned from U.S. sales for THAT?
    Your small fine comment makes no sense. Nokia didn't want to stop iPhone sales, they just wanted (needed) the $600 mill to stay in business for a while longer.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HCWHunter View Post
    Your small fine comment makes no sense. Nokia didn't want to stop iPhone sales, they just wanted (needed) the $600 mill to stay in business for a while longer.
    Yes I know. But Apple is being hypocritical. They have done the exact same thing HTC has allegedly done. The only reason Apple wants HTC gone is because they are a threat to Apple.

Yes I know. But Apple is being hypocritical. They have done the exact same thing HTC has allegedly done. The only reason Apple wants HTC gone is because they are a threat to Apple.
    Apple doesn't want HTC gone and they don't want Samsung gone. They want other companies to stop copying their devices and/or to pay them royalties when they do. Samsung was particularly annoying to Apple because they are a parts supplier and as such have inside knowledge of upcoming Apple devices. Patents mean nothing and will in fact be invalidated if you make no attempt to enforce them. It's all a give and take in the electronics business.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I was never going to buy an iPad. Then I bought a Galaxy Tab to compliment my iPhone. Once I saw what even FROYO could do, I went out the next week and bought two Galaxy S 4Gs. Everything (except emojis) that I was forced to jailbrake my iPhones for I was able to do out of the box with Android. I am really happy with my "antiPhone"... I'd list all the differences that I've found so far between the two platforms but I'm sure it would just ignite a firestorm on both sides. Instead I'll just say what's been said before: Find something you like and be happy with it. In the past I was happy enough with St. eve's iPhone but now I have something that works even better for me.

I Have the HTC EVO and I love my phone I cant do anything I want I have acces to all flash stuff and I can link my bookmarks from firefox and firefox mobile that's cool and my old phone was a HTC Hero so I think HTC is much better the Apple

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HCWHunter View Post
    Apple doesn't want HTC gone and they don't want Samsung gone. They want other companies to stop copying their devices and/or to pay them royalties when they do. Samsung was particularly annoying to Apple because they are a parts supplier and as such have inside knowledge of upcoming Apple devices. Patents mean nothing and will in fact be invalidated if you make no attempt to enforce them. It's all a give and take in the electronics business.
    Apple wants the courts to "Ban imports of HTC products.". That sounds to me like they want HTC out of the picture.

I belive apple only had to pay 9million the most.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast