Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Finally, a DSLR Mount for the iPhone

Default Finally, a DSLR Mount for the iPhone

Photojojo, purveyors of a wide array of camera accessories, has just announced The iPhone SLR Mount. This accessory will let you mount either a Canon (EF-mount) or Nikon (F-mount) DSLR lenses onto an iPhone 4 and should be available starting in mid-August. This gives you an unprecedented amount of control over your iPhone images. You can now take complex photographs instead of relying on image editing apps that simulate unusual focusing and “faux filters.”

Using the iPhone SLR Mount gives you the ability to create unique photographs with varying degrees of depth-of-field exposures and also lets you focus your shots manually. “Telephoto, wide angle, macro, or your fixed-fifty lenses all attach to this mount giving you a full range of lenses at your iPhone lovin' fingertips.”

You do lose about 1 to 2 f-stops when using the adapter, so unless you compensate for this, your pictures may turn out a little on the dark side. It’s also important to note that traditional SLR’s have mirrors inside of them that flip the image as it’s being captured, so you’ll have to manually flip your images using an image editor after you take your shots. This is a small price to pay for using high-end glass with an iPhone.

The adapter itself is made up of three parts, an iPhone 4 case, a UV filter, and the SLR lens adapter. Of course you’ll have to provide your own camera lenses. The iPhone recently became the most used camera on Flickr, surpassing DSLR’s and traditional point-and-shoot cameras as well. The camera is no longer a lavish accessory for high-end cell phones anymore, but has become standard equipment. Although The iPhone SLF Mount is a bit pricey at $249, for some photographers, it will undoubtedly become an invaluable tool in their camera bag.

Source: Photojojo

I'm going to be first to say that you are a complete fool if you buy this. Invest your money in a camera, not a camera phone.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to iPhoneAndrew For This Useful Post:

feidhlim1986 (07-11-2011)

And I'll be the first to ask:

"Will it work with my 4g iPod Touch?"

I dunno, I'll probably buy one. I already have two good digital SLR's (both a Canon and a Nikon) with various lenses, so this will fit rin with my existing gear nicely.

Will be nice to have the ability to use my large & fast lenses, but still get to play with the many camera apps the iPhone brings to the gadget bag... (I'm lookin at you "Old Time Camera" app), combined with a wide angle lens to shoot some of the historical landmarks in the area where I live.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This is stupid! That thing is too big for an iPhone. It looks ridiculous. My tripod is good enough.

Obviously this isn't targeted for all iPhone owners, this is great if you're a professional photographer or really into photography as a hobby. Although it's bit over priced IMO.

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GAIAStevef View Post
    I dunno, I'll probably buy one. I already have two good digital SLR's (both a Canon and a Nikon) with various lenses, so this will fit rin with my existing gear nicely.

Will be nice to have the ability to use my large & fast lenses, but still get to play with the many camera apps the iPhone brings to the gadget bag... (I'm lookin at you "Old Time Camera" app), combined with a wide angle lens to shoot some of the historical landmarks in the area where I live.
    A fool and his money are soon parted!

As much as I hate reading people bashing writers.... Dont you have anything better than this ********? Give me a break.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Or you can just get an OWLE Bubo, which is hell of a lot cheaper and a lot better imo.

Why must everyone see this as a stupid thing, really? See this as an opportunity to open up doors for the iPhone's camera, things will only get better with time I honestly think this is an awesome thing. Imagine if devs make an jailbroken app to zoom in more with that adapter with good quality pictures. I think this great.
    "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not"

iPhone 4 + 50mm ƒ1.8? Yes please!

$250?! No way.

Annoying as all of the sample photos taken with one look great.

Quote Originally Posted by MXCO View Post
    Why must everyone see this as a stupid thing, really? See this as an opportunity to open up doors for the iPhone's camera, things will only get better with time I honestly think this is an awesome thing. Imagine if devs make an jailbroken app to zoom in more with that adapter with good quality pictures. I think this great.
    whoa, wait a minute here people. Someone needs to clarify a few things...

a) This is not replacing the lens on your iphone. It will NOT make your images any higher in quality. All it will do is allow you to use the zooming capability and to some extent, the dof characteristics of your SLR lens with the iphone. In fact, the mount must have an additional lens in between the iphone and the slr lens in order to assist the iphone focusing, which may or may not be "quality glass".

b) the iPhone "zoom" is a digital zoom, aka "crop". So an app as suggested above won't do anything but degrade the quality of the captured image.

c) Canon and newer Nikon lenses will not be able to control the Aperture.

d) Sure, this lens mount is a gimmick, a toy for most. But for some it will be a valuable accessory for shooting video and photos with an internet connected device, if it actually delivers a good image. Most likely not.
    Last edited by robogobo; 07-11-2011 at 05:01 AM.

its around $250! Why would you carry a SLR lens around.... but not your camera! Waste of coin...

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Do not want.

Invest in a REAL camera.....if you can't afford it then deal with what you have or get a $200 Canon digital camera.

iPhone? More like MyPhone jiniej's Avatar
    Thanks

"Finally"??? Who was waiting for this??

Quote Originally Posted by NemesisFool View Post
    Obviously this isn't targeted for all iPhone owners, this is great if you're a professional photographer or really into photography as a hobby. Although it's bit over priced IMO.
    i am a pro photographer, is no one considering the fact that no matter what you attach to the iPhone camera, it's still going through the tiny, crappy iPhone lens too.

it's like buying a 5000 lens and putting glad wrap over the front of it before you use it.

no amount of extra lens resolution is going to compensate for the lens that is already FIXED to the camera and it's minute CMOS sensor.

Totally stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneAndrew View Post
    I'm going to be first to say that you are a complete fool if you buy this. Invest your money in a camera, not a camera phone.
    agreed totally...

My iPhone is a Part of Me tsatryan's Avatar
    Thanks

"Is that a phone in your pocket, or are you just...."

OWLE
    wantowle.com ??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast