Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Interview: Swype CEO's Stance On Jailbreak "Swype"

Quote Originally Posted by SnowLeo View Post
    Lol no offense or anything at all but it just seems like Josh is a fanboy. i.Annie sees it how it is. Common josh didn't you write the article about apple hiring the mobilenotifier dev?? Apple took the app store aka. installer app from jailbreak, apple took copy and paste, multitasking (backgrounder, multiflow, ect.), notifications, even widgets. Even though besides the whole opennotifier thing they didn't directly "steal" cydia devs ideas it's pretty dang obvious why apple prevented apps like google voice and core modifications to be in the app store- because they want control! Apple wants all new updates to be something previously not available in any way on their device before including through third party as part of their marketing scheme. I'm sure apple already has all the features of iOS 7 ready but they like to wait to perfect it, add more, and time it right to sell. And it worked pretty freakin well for them.
    Let's go over a couple of things:

1. I knew about Peter Hajas going to Apple prior to anyone knowing. I made him a promise I would tell no one and I did not. The article was written later on from someone else on the team that just read the news.
    2. You fail to realize that Swype has patented code / software. If Apple were to incorporate this, they would be required to pay royalties or suffer court again for numerous violations.

I understand this situation completely. I agree with you in many respects; but let's do some demographics here. Twitter is exempt because of iOS 5: let's list all the third party applications off the top of my head:

• YouTube
    • Google Maps
    • Facebook
    • And the list goes on

What do all of these applications have in common? They are third-party applications that have icons on the SpringBoard. Those are examples of non-native integration. Swype is required to have deep integration. For Swype to function at its best and what it is intended for, it needs to be native to the OS. That changes everything.

Quote Originally Posted by raduga View Post
    Because it can't be done with public Frameworks.

See:

So either Apple would have to license the technology directly from Swype (at some considerable expense) and integrate it into iOS directly, or else open up the internals of the keyboard API to a lot of grubby developers they don't really trust. The iOS garden has a wall.

Neat hacks from the JB world can sometimes prompt Apple to open up layers of API they otherwise wouldn't have wanted, but it takes time and a lot of sweat that you and I and everyone outside Cupertino never gets to see. Sometimes Apple incorporates the concepts into future versions of the base OS. They can't do this with Swype because of patents unless a lot of money gets exchanged. Maybe when v6.0 is out next year. Its way too late for them to shoehorn anything dramatically novel in 5.0 (OK. Could be 5.3?)
    Thanks for your response. I agree with every respect and I like your train of thought.

Oh nice bulleted list to get through to me lol. Apple could just as easily implement a copy of it natively the same way they did with the notification bar, the internal beta which included a mic button in the keyboard for speech to text, the internal iOS 4 beta that had multiflow-style expose multitasking, and a android-style pattern drawn unlock thing that was in some developer thing but never made it's way to the native OS. I am by no means saying I expect Apple to strike up a deal with swype and implement their actual code and pay royalties, hell no. Exactly like you said with YouTube and google maps, when it comes to anything not made by Apple, Apple goes out of their way to not allow these developers (with the exception of Peter Hajas) natively integrate their software into the OS, because then you would get things like HTC sense, and touchwiz, which apple thinks is evil and fragmentation. Apple also does the same with it's approval process in the app store only allowing deva to use specific APIs provided and not allowing any native integration.

Now what I am trying to get across is that Apple has proven itself to be fully aware of the issues of it's operating system and what the competition has to offer and iOS5 is probably the biggest proof that Apple likes to use the competitions solution with their own ideas to create a much better native solution like they did in both notifications and the iPad keyboard splitting.

To sum it up, I am trying to say that Apple may just look for a way to natively implement an alternate keyboard input in a future OS version that would avoid paying royalties to Swype or buying them (because that would just be pocket change for apple). After seeing it's popularity, I am sure the big red fruit is at least considering the implementation of an alternate swipe or voice based typing system as native softwasre created by apples own developers with just a little inspiration from Swype. (:

Oh nice bulleted list to get through to me lol. Apple could just as easily implement a copy of it natively the same way they did with the notification bar, the internal beta which included a mic button in the keyboard for speech to text, the internal iOS 4 beta that had multiflow-style expose multitasking, and a android-style pattern drawn unlock thing that was in some developer thing but never made it's way to the native OS. I am by no means saying I expect Apple to strike up a deal with swype and implement their actual code and pay royalties, hell no. Exactly like you said with YouTube and google maps, when it comes to anything not made by Apple, Apple goes out of their way to not allow these developers (with the exception of Peter Hajas) natively integrate their software into the OS, because then you would get things like HTC sense, and touchwiz, which apple thinks is evil and fragmentation. Apple also does the same with it's approval process in the app store only allowing deva to use specific APIs provided and not allowing any native integration.

Now what I am trying to get across is that Apple has proven itself to be fully aware of the issues of it's operating system and what the competition has to offer and iOS5 is probably the biggest proof that Apple likes to use the competitions solution with their own ideas to create a much better native solution like they did in both notifications and the iPad keyboard splitting.

To sum it up, I am trying to say that Apple may just look for a way to natively implement an alternate keyboard input in a future OS version that would avoid paying royalties to Swype or buying them (because that would just be pocket change for apple). After seeing it's popularity, I am sure the big red fruit is at least considering the implementation of an alternate swipe or voice based typing system as native softwasre created by apples own developers with just a little inspiration from Swype. (:
    Yeah, the future will tell how this pans out. The thing is though - Swype has a working copy that runs perfectly on iOS. Mike McSherry even mentioned that. It's not like they're no where in this situation; it is just tough going around Apple and their framework. I think the potential roadblock is the fact that Swype is not meant for an application; it's meant for OS integration. For that reason, the process to get there is much more difficult.

And in regards to Apple making a native implementation of their own, that is possible I'm sure. However, as I mentioned to Annie, the situation is entirely different than "taking" a jailbreak developer's work. Jailbreak developers are unable to create patents that protect them from Apple "per say." Swype can however as they are a company that has software on other platforms. Their patents are far extensive and protect their product to the fullest extent. For that reason, if Apple were to even make a move, I can imagine Swype would be on it to ensure that their product is not de-valued or used inappropriately.

Ok one more rebuttle and I'm done for the night.
    Then what about the notification bar in iOS 5? I don't see google doing anything about it yet and I think google is a decently big sized company with a few patents(:

While apple may not directly steal it, there's nothing that can stop apple from using inspiration for something like pressing multiple keys at a time and then it autocompletes it or provides suggestions in a Swype manner. Maybe even full out button for drawing input, where apple tranlates the drawn words into text or spoken words into text. Or maybe something else where you don't need to lift up your finger from typing.. Like after you start typing a letter it starts a list above the keyboard with common words and then you can drag to the desired word or continue typing normally.

Anyone else notice the add comment button not working in mobile site?

Ok one more rebuttle and I'm done for the night.
    Then what about the notification bar in iOS 5? I don't see google doing anything about it yet and I think google is a decently big sized company with a few patents(:

While apple may not directly steal it, there's nothing that can stop apple from using inspiration for something like pressing multiple keys at a time and then it autocompletes it or provides suggestions in a Swype manner. Maybe even full out button for drawing input, where apple tranlates the drawn words into text or spoken words into text. Or maybe something else where you don't need to lift up your finger from typing.. Like after you start typing a letter it starts a list above the keyboard with common words and then you can drag to the desired word or continue typing normally.

Anyone else notice the add comment button not working in mobile site?
    All true; again though, Apple is the innovator. Google was the "me too - I need a phone that can combat the iPhone" company. If anything, Apple has tons of patents for mobile technology and Google has far less.

I hope you take no offense to our discussion; I see it as way to both adequately expression. I'm taking no offense and see it as an enrichment to my knowledge and understanding. Not to mention, it's refreshing to have an intellectual conversation for a change.

Very classy responses. I like how they are handling this, and I fully agree that if it was their "system" then they have no choice but to go after it. Maybe Apple should take some lessons on public interaction from these guys.

formerly known as Method2001 TheGrandFinale2001's Avatar
    Thanks

Top notch reporting Josh.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGrandFinale2001 For This Useful Post:

Joshua Tucker (07-13-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrandFinale2001 View Post
    Top notch reporting Josh.
    Most appreciated friend.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Joshua Tucker For This Useful Post:

TheGrandFinale2001 (07-13-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone mixi92's Avatar
    Thanks

Isn't this the same as "shapewriterPro" that was pulled out of appstore before? I still have it & still works for me.

Yeah, I pointed this out the first time MMI incorrectly associated the two

My iPhone is a Part of Me zinjen's Avatar
    Thanks

Can someone explain to me how Swype works? I use iRealSMS, so is this pointless anyways as I read it only works on native applications?

If it does work: What is the benefit and how do you use it?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

You should YouTube a Swype video. It's not relevant to iRealSMS.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Colby21 View Post
    I love your articles. Keep 'em comin!
    I completely agree with this.... You're articles are a lot more interesting than someone just rewriting what is already out there..

Wow the comments where as great a read as the article +1 to Josh and Leo on not turning it into a trolling bout, I was half expecting a 'u mad bro' after every response... lol

Just wanted to point out tho that android was in development B4 the iPhone was even released, so I disagree with the 'me too' statement. Apple just had the upper hand since they were making the entire phone where Google was going the licensing route only (initially and depending upon whether you consider the Nexus line made/developed by Google or not).

formerly known as Method2001 TheGrandFinale2001's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Tucker View Post
    Most appreciated friend.
    No problem, thank you for a great article. You have been doing some great work here.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanks12 View Post
    I completely agree with this.... You're articles are a lot more interesting than someone just rewriting what is already out there..
    Thanks! I will continue to do my best.

Quote Originally Posted by juggz143 View Post
    Wow the comments where as great a read as the article +1 to Josh and Leo on not turning it into a trolling bout, I was half expecting a 'u mad bro' after every response... lol

Just wanted to point out tho that android was in development B4 the iPhone was even released, so I disagree with the 'me too' statement. Apple just had the upper hand since they were making the entire phone where Google was going the licensing route only (initially and depending upon whether you consider the Nexus line made/developed by Google or not).
    However here's the thing; it is a matter of beating the other one to the market. Apple stole the consumer market with the iPod in the beginning; the iPhone was the next step. Although Google may have been developing prior, they finished the race later in the game. They may have been in development, however Google's entire strategy with Android was to differentiate from the iOS software; for that reason, the notion would be that Google had to re-invent their game or step it up in order to compete.
    Last edited by Joshua Tucker; 07-13-2011 at 09:47 PM.

Okay, HOW does no one else remember the app a long time ago for the iPhone which was swype, except it was called something else.
    This was before android too.
    I thuoght it was such a good idea, and I was soo mad when android came out and they had swype

Swype looks like a great input system. If incorporating it into iOS is not possible, I'd love to see an officially supported version of graffiti that they used to have for the Newton. I think Palm created it. Or if not graffiti, some other unistroke system. Anyone know if any are already out there?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12