+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Nintendo Set to Release First iOS app in Japan

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default Nintendo Set to Release First iOS app in Japan

In the heady days before the advent of the iPhone, Nintendo was the undisputed king of handheld gaming. Nintendo now sees Apple as one of their biggest rivals in the handheld gaming industry. So it’s rather surprising that they are set to release their first official iOS app this summer in Japan called Pokémon Say Tap? BW. Although the game will probably never be released outside of Japan, it does mark a change in Nintendo’s attitude toward smartphone gaming.

Pokémon Say Tap? BW is not the typical Pokémon game that the kids know and love, but rather it’s a rhythm based card game. As various cards appear on screen, you tap them in time with music to progress through the game. There’s no “Gotta Catch 'Em All” gameplay to be found here.

Although this may not be the most exciting game that Nintendo could have brought to the iPhone, Nintendo may simply be testing the waters with future titles in mind. I’m sure I’m not alone in my desire to play Super Mario Bros on an iPhone.

If Nintendo does decide to bring certain titles to non-Nintendo devices, then it wouldn’t be the first time that they have done so. Back in the early 1990s, Nintendo released a series of educational titles featuring Mario and friends for the Mac and PC. Games such as Mario is Missing!, a geography-based game and Mario Teaches Typing are just a few of the titles that appeared on systems not made by Nintendo.

With violent video games in the press lately, it’s nice to know that Nintendo still makes quality games that the entire family can enjoy. Hopefully, Mario will make the jump to the iPhone one day. I’d gladly part with a few coins for that to happen.

Source: joystiq

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I think Nintendo is crazy for not making some of their older titles available. People would pay for Mario series and a lot more. It's just money in their pockets.

I am constantly searching the App Store for one of my all time favorite games. Pharaoh was released for the PC back in 98-99. I still play that game. It would be perfect for the iPad.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

NES just i'snt the same.

Thanks

I really think Nintendo should make a Pokedex app, there's lots of unofficial ones out there earning money that could be theirs

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    I think Nintendo is crazy for not making some of their older titles available. People would pay for Mario series and a lot more. It's just money in their pockets.

I am constantly searching the App Store for one of my all time favorite games. Pharaoh was released for the PC back in 98-99. I still play that game. It would be perfect for the iPad.
    Bro they are insane for not making classic titles available for iPhone. People love classics

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I think there's been a communication error, this release is from The Pokemon Company which does the card game and marketing stuff for the Pokemon brand and not Nintendo itself.

"The Pokémon Company routinely launches applications for cell phones and PCs as a way to promote its non-video game products, such as a music CD and Pokémon TCG [Trading Card Game] cards in this instance. Since they are intended purely as promotional tools, not as unique video games, Nintendo is not involved in any way." - NOA

Green Apple
    Thanks
    True, this game is not released by Nintendo:

While Nintendo affiliate the Pokemon Company has revealed plans to launch an official Pokemon game for iOS and Android devices, the Wii and DS maker has ruled out the possibility of creating software for platforms other than its own. Nintendo owns 32 percent of the Pokemon Co., but spokesperson Yasuhiro Minagawa told Bloomberg the firm is an independent entity, and that Nintendo's strategy to develop software only for its own hardware "hasn't changed and won't change". The Pokemon game in question, Pokemon Say Tap, is reportedly a free rhythm-based app which sees you tapping on Pokemon trading cards to the beat of a song from the anime.
    Source: Next-Gen.biz via Bloomberg

tma
    Thanks

I got excited for nothing. I thought they would release the classic pokemon type game. Sure do wish the countless hours I spent playing it on my gameboy

Wow I got excited for nothing. I thought they are bringing the classic pokemon type game to iOS. The one game I must have spent countless hours playing on my gameboy. Sure do miss it alot!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spamcan View Post
    I think there's been a communication error, this release is from The Pokemon Company which does the card game and marketing stuff for the Pokemon brand and not Nintendo itself.

"The Pokémon Company routinely launches applications for cell phones and PCs as a way to promote its non-video game products, such as a music CD and Pokémon TCG [Trading Card Game] cards in this instance. Since they are intended purely as promotional tools, not as unique video games, Nintendo is not involved in any way." - NOA
    Wow, does this guy actualy right for mmi?! How he could think nintendo were releasing this is such an epic fail. Failure to do any research is just lazy. How are we to trust future story's from this guy. Or do all mmi writers just write without good resarch before hand?

Thanks

I think it's a "no brainer" as stated above its $$ in the bank!! I play Nintendo Roms on my iPhone all the time...I grew up on Nintendo and still love to play the games. Nintendo still leads the handheld gaming race...if they decide to finally release their old games on the new platforms, this could be HUGE...im all for it

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Nintendo isn't making this App though. They only own 33% of the Pokemon name and the game is being made by a different company entirely.