+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Verizon Now Claims One-Third of The Entire US iPhone 4 Market

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 558 Posts

Default Verizon Now Claims One-Third of The Entire US iPhone 4 Market

It's a reality nearly impossible to imagine one year ago just as AT&T subscribers got their first crack of the red-hot fourth generation iPhone. But today, nearly one-third of all iPhone 4s in the US are on the Verizon network. That's according to analytics company Localytics, which published the surprising findings on Thursday.

The large number of current Verizon iPhone owners suggests that many analysts who predicted growing customer frustration with AT&T - the former exclusive domestic iPhone carrier - were correct. In the first quarter of 2011 alone, Verizon revealed that it had sold an incredible 2.2 million iPhones - eight months after AT&T got an initial jump on the market with the iPhone 4's debut.

The Localytics report, however, does acknowledge one possible reason for the recent substantial "uptick" in Verizon iPhone adoption - a last shot at Verizonís unlimited data plan, which ends today. AT&T, as we recall, officially killed its unlimited data plan one year ago, even though existing subscribers on the plan were allowed to keep it.
    Although various outlets reported on response to the Verizon iPhone launch being lackluster, the network has managed to pull together a very respectable segment of the iPhone-using market. With rumors swirling about the iPhone 5 perhaps launching in September on multiple carriers, Verizonís recent market share gains may be a precursor of what is to come this fall.
    It will be interesting to see how the iPhone 5 shakes things up further between AT&T and Verizon in the US - a rivalry that may ultimately be complicated by yet another player in the game - Sprint. Yesterday, MMi reported that Citadel Securities analyst Shing Yin believes that the next-gen iPhone will call Sprint home before the end of 2011.

Source: Venture Beat

iPhone? More like MyPhone DaLsim's Avatar
    Thanks

no unlimited plan, no iphone...

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

There are few small perks I enjoy in life. One of them is being able to surf the web or play a game while some moronic business I call decides to leave me on hold for 15 minutes. It's amazing how long and drawn out being on hold for that amount of time seems....and how quickly it goes by when you're able to browse some Yahoo news waiting for these "Yahoos" to finally pick up the damn line.

I'll stick with AT&T.....for now.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Italia411's Avatar
    Thanks

Which means the other two thirds of US iphone 4 users still prefer gsm.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Italia411 View Post
    Which means the other two thirds of US iphone 4 users still prefer gsm.
    Actually it means in one year's time Verizon has swallowed up 33% of iPhone 4 owners. In another year's time when MORE people have their contracts expire from AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint....do you think that number is gonna go down or up?

Thanks

That's not gonna happen, Att's business is expanding not declining. You do know Verizon getting the iPhone has not hurt Att at all rite? Do you know how many iphone 4's are on Att go phone alone? Att still has how many 3gs customers? GSM is better technology and better phones are and have been made for gsm networks.

My iPhone is a Part of Me tudtran's Avatar
    Thanks

Damn. Verizon is on a move.

Thanks

I can understand why att users switched to Verizon. I get so pissed off with service at times but that's the sacrifice I take to surf the web while on a call. I probably won't ever switch just because I'm very comfortable with att and they've been very good to me. Still the service sucks at times.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

That's not gonna happen, Att's business is expanding not declining. You do know Verizon getting the iPhone has not hurt Att at all rite? Do you know how many iphone 4's are on Att go phone alone? Att still has how many 3gs customers? GSM is better technology and better phones are and have been made for gsm networks.
    I am well aware of GSM vs CDMA technology, but there WILL be people who are dissatisfied with AT&T service and switch to Verizon. AT&T may be expanding, but I guarantee you Verizon acquiring the iPhone has hampered the rate in which AT&T is expanding.....and when it is available to ALL the major carriers, then the effects will become much more noticeable. Yes they will continue to grow, but not at the booming rate that was seen when they alone had the iPhones.

Thanks

I find that debatable for 2 reasons :
    1) the tmobile merger, if we are talking expanding then we must talk about this acquisition. How many iPhone 4 users are on tmobile?(soon to be owned by Att)
    2) the iPhone 4 is getting toasted by android in reviews and sales.
    This is not 2007, everybody nowadays has had an iPhone and if this was 2007+ and the iPhone was the only smart phone that sold then maybe you would be rite, it's not anymore though. Its 2011 and not only is Att's iPhone rated higher, their androids are too. I can promise you Verizon only hurts them selves with their controlling ways and limitations. Is their iPhone even a world phone? Lol

Thanks
    Thanked 8,540 Times in 2,031 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mmaboi21 View Post
    I can understand why att users switched to Verizon. I get so pissed off with service at times but that's the sacrifice I take to surf the web while on a call. I probably won't ever switch just because I'm very comfortable with att and they've been very good to me. Still the service sucks at times.
    i know that in Destin FL at&t is way to bogged down. when this small city is covered with tourists data is useless, and by useless i mean it does not work. i will text a person and it will actually send about one min later. and for a call to actually start ringing it takes about 30 to 40 seconds if it doesnt just fail. i know of at least 3 people that went to verizon for this reason.
    I'll smoke it with ya bro, we'll go to the loony bin together. I don't give a ****!
    https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_donations&business=jfriends4438%40gmai  l%2ecom&lc=US&currency_code=USD&bn=PP%2dDonationsB  F%3abtn_donateCC_LG%2egif%3aNonHosted

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Truckinlow View Post
    i know that in Destin FL at&t is way to bogged down. when this small city is covered with tourists data is useless, and by useless i mean it does not work. i will text a person and it will actually send about one min later. and for a call to actually start ringing it takes about 30 to 40 seconds if it doesnt just fail. i know of at least 3 people that went to verizon for this reason.
    This was a big issue 4 years ago, ive heard it has gotten a lil better since then. That's the main reason for the tmobile merger. Those extra towers tmobile has in metro areas will eliminate that network issue. I hate to say this but I bet that's also why they have been cracking down on 3rd party tethering app usage.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I find that debatable for 2 reasons :
    1) the tmobile merger, if we are talking expanding then we must talk about this acquisition. How many iPhone 4 users are on tmobile?(soon to be owned by Att)
    2) the iPhone 4 is getting toasted by android in reviews and sales.
    This is not 2007, everybody nowadays has had an iPhone and if this was 2007+ and the iPhone was the only smart phone that sold then maybe you would be rite, it's not anymore though. Its 2011 and not only is Att's iPhone rated higher, their androids are too. I can promise you Verizon only hurts them selves with their controlling ways and limitations. Is their iPhone even a world phone? Lol
    1). The merger is not final yet and could still be shot down. But if it does happen I can see where you're coming from. However if it doesn't, there are still plans ( or rumors) for the iPhone to be released to ALL U.S. carriers.

2). The iPhone may be getting toasted in reviews and sales, but sales-wise it's one phone going up against many different Android phones.

I don't want to come off as a fanboy because I most certainly am not. I dislike Apple for many more reasons than I like them, but there is no doubt AT&T will feel a larger effect than they hope for with not having iPhone exclusivity anymore. They will be fine, but they're gonna feel it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    1). The merger is not final yet and could still be shot down. But if it does happen I can see where you're coming from. However if it doesn't, there are still plans ( or rumors) for the iPhone to be released to ALL U.S. carriers.

2). The iPhone may be getting toasted in reviews and sales, but sales-wise it's one phone going up against many different Android phones.

I don't want to come off as a fanboy because I most certainly am not. I dislike Apple for many more reasons than I like them, but there is no doubt AT&T will feel a larger effect than they hope for with not having iPhone exclusivity anymore. They will be fine, but they're gonna feel it.
    That's the good part of being a human we are entitled to our own opinions. I do think if the Att version of the new iPhone is 4g and the competitors is not that will be a huge advantage for Att. I can tell you I work for Att in sales so I am partial to the company I sell for. I will say our sales are up from last year and our projected sales are even greater. When a person ports a number from a cell carrier to another carrier they need their account number. I promise you I send a lot more people across the hall (I work in a mall) to a verizon corporate store to fetch me their account number then walk into my store to get their account number to leave Att. I bet the merger does go through, the FCC will deff want their chunk of change and if you think I'm lying just check the tax part of your phone bill lol.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Where did it show statistics for customers leaving AT&T for Verizon? The big jump in Verizon iPhone sales was more then likely all the Verizon customers that have been wanting iPhones instead of Android.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Well you also have to take into consideration that millions already on Verizon upgraded to the iPhone. It's not like AT&T has lost one third of their customers, it's that a HUGE amount upgraded!

Thanks

I absolutely hate my AT&T service... Doling out over $300 a month across the 5 lines I carry with them (4 are iPhones), it pains me on a daily basis not being able to make / receive calls, texts, email, or data. When I say I can't, I mean simply that it's so unreliable that I often just avoid using the darn phone for real work. This is based on a swath of usage from midtown NY to Northern Jersey. One would think MIDTOWN NY should have pristine coverage, but its completely opposite.

The only thing that shackles me to AT&T is 5 phones worth of early termination fees - but believe me, I regularly think about biting the bullet on that and just moving. My only holdout is the hope that if T-Mobile merger pans out, maybe I will see an improvement is reliability and reception.

If that doesn't look like it will improve things, or the merger isn't happening, I am jumping ship for sure. It's just horrible all this money for crap. My old Motorola brick was 5000% more reliable.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TBSS View Post
    Where did it show statistics for customers leaving AT&T for Verizon? The big jump in Verizon iPhone sales was more then likely all the Verizon customers that have been wanting iPhones instead of Android.
    That's more than likely the case. No way I would switch to Verizon with their data pricing. If AT&T was smart, at the launch of the next iPhone, offer new data plans.
    100mb - 5.00
    500mb - 10.00
    2gb - 15.00
    5gb - 30.00

Of course I don't think AT&T will launch plans like that, but they should.
    If I can't mod it...I don't want it.

Thanks

I agree Verizon SUCKS I've had both. On CDMA I had drop calls all the time. On gsm with my white iPhone 4 32 or my 3G. Or my 3GS have never dropped I call. So I chose AT&T over the V Besides Verizon is on the dark side. I will never switch back Verizon SUCKS. Ok I am done now. Thanks Jeff