+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Why It Makes Sense for Apple to Give Sprint The iPhone 5 Before Year's End

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default Why It Makes Sense for Apple to Give Sprint The iPhone 5 Before Year's End

From a business standpoint it just makes sense. That's the logic behind Citadel Securities analyst Shing Yin's estimate that the next-gen iPhone will call Sprint home before the end of 2011. With AT&T and Verizon now sharing the carrier stage in the US, Apple is likely profoundly interested in expanding to the nation's third-largest wireless provider.

Sprint, which - like Verizon - runs the CDMA network, can easily be added to Apple's domestic carrier list - a move that stands to benefit all parties (except, maybe, AT&T and Verizon). “We believe Sprint could capture more than its fair share of iPhone sales," Yin writes, "especially if it gets the new model at the same time as AT&T and Verizon.”

The insightful Citadel Securities analyst believes the iPhone carrier expansion to Sprint is "increasingly likely," especially considering that with the inauguration of Verizon Communications tiered pricing for data tomorrow, "Sprint will be the sole remaining national carrier with an unlimited data plan offering, something desirable to Apple."

All told, a Sprint iPhone “could be a relatively stronger seller than the Verizon iPhone,” Yin speculates. "With lower prices on plans, a Sprint iPhone could offer an attractive proposition for more price-conscious users (a demographic that we think is increasingly important to Apple following the rise of Android),” a report from Barron's noted.

Source: Barron's

iPhone? More like MyPhone sucram6791's Avatar
    Thanks

of course they are going to bring an iphone to sprint! they have to if they want to catch up to google/android

Thanks

I have sprint so I would love to get the iPhone on the network! It's either that or some android phone, which i wouldn't mind, i'd just MUCH rather have an iPhone.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I will jump on the Sprint net so fast ATT wont know what hit em -- unless of course Sprint decides to have the same iPhone plans/rates that ATT has, then Sprint can suck it.

::fingers crossed::

My iPhone is a Part of Me Donnutt's Avatar
    Thanks

What kind of 3G speed does Sprint have? Verizon "3G" never seems to get faster than 1 Mbps, and I like my AT&T 3-8 Mbps. My verizon friends are always poking at me, but it's kind of hard when my phone is always 3+ times faster.
    And I CAN occasionally make phone calls!!!

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

Would love to try Sprint because of their prices!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Sprint are the WORST company to deal with for customer service, but I was pleased with the service as long as I didn't have a problem that needed me to call in for help. I came to ATT for the iPhone on iDay in 2007 after 8 years with sprint and only complaints about their horrible treatment of customers, but the phone service was good. If you have a problem with sprint you damn near have to sue them for a resolution.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

yeah!! that will be day when Sprint decides to keep their unlimited data for the iphone. I call it the iphone curse. For some reason when a carrier offers the iphone, all unlimited data plans become null which I'm sure Sprint is no exception.

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

would be a smart move to keep expanding and yea with unlimited data a lot of sprint users would probably snag up an iPhone. Wonder if the iPhone will be coming to Tmobile like the rumors were a few months ago

Thanks
    Thanked 1,733 Times in 857 Posts

I sure hope so! Competition! If they have an unlimited data plan i am absolutely jumping the Verzon ship. I need a whole new contract for the new iPhone anyway.

Assuming the prices are reasonable, of course. I'm so poor I sweat just thinking about how I'm going to afford the new iPhone.

Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Thanks

I think they should wait until next year, the reason they should wait is next year the AT&T - T-Mobile will have begun so It leaves Sprint alone as the only carrier not carry the iPhone. Not mention it would be a better move since Sprint will be using Lightsquares LTE network for their 4g. So they can develop a phone that runs on a CDMA/LTE network that would work with Sprint/Verizon.

The only way I see Sprint getting the iPhone this year is if they back of the Merger between Att & t-mobile.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Donnutt's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bluemoldycheeze88 View Post
    So they can develop a phone that runs on a CDMA/LTE network that would work with Sprint/Verizon.
    It would probably be a CDMA/GSM/LTE phone, so they wouldn't have to tool up and make two separate handsets.