Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Smartphones Dominating in U.S., Android Losing Momentum to iPhone

Default Smartphones Dominating in U.S., Android Losing Momentum to iPhone

Over the last three months 55% of all mobile phones purchased have been smartphones.

Recessionsaywhat?

This is a first for mobile phones in the U.S., specifically smartphones, which have had a meteoric rise* in popularity since the debut of the iPhone 4 years ago.

According to Nielsen 38% of all mobile users in the U.S. have an always connected smartphone. Smartphones are becoming the status quo, and the 18.6 million iPhones Apples sold in the first 3 months of 2011 go along way in proving it. So do Andy Rubins claims earlier this week that 500,000 Android devices are being activated daily.

Despite the insane number of daily activations Android's growth has stagnated a bit. Android market share grew 20% from February 2010 to February 2011, but hasn't moved from it's 27% market share in the last four months.

The release of the Verizon iPhone in the U.S. could be to blame for Androids stagnation. Looking at the chart everyone is glad they aren't Symbian or RIM for that matter. They're hemorrhaging customers faster than Lindsy Lohan can make bad decisions.

Source: Wired

*never really understood that phrase. I understand meteors are fast, but they are only meteors once they eneter the atmosphere, aka falling very fast and burning up. So wouldn't a meteoric rise be a paradox?
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 06-30-2011 at 08:17 PM.

Thanks

lol lindsy lohan???
    funny stuff bro

As for the info i say to myself, well of course!
    People are starting to notice how crappy android is and switching to ios. Yes of course that was an uneducated guess from the bottom of my belly.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Seriously too many inaccurate surveys out there.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

500,000 Android activations daily? are those unique AND new activations? because at that rate in 1 year more than half of the entire U.S. population will have an Android smartphone. Seems a bit optimistic to me.

As for iOS. I believe the 18.2million number but what would be more accurate is how many have been activated in the most recent 3 months.

New devices always have a huge opening and then taper off. Then again, the iOS one seems more accurate just for the fact that it comes out to just over 200,000 activations daily(in the first 3 months).

I'll defer to unison999 on this one and +1 on too many inaccurate surveys out there.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Painkiller006's Avatar
    Thanks

Oh its Phillip, the person who wrote the news on the patent Apple won without understanding the patent at all... On a side note, I agree with unison999 and alexevo there are too many inaccurate surveys out there

Thumbs up who also read "Iphone 4" years ago instead of "Iphone" 4 years ago

I always wondering how much you guys get paid to talk about iPhone it's the best and Android sucks 4 me and Alot people Android it's better I have the HTC EVO and where I work mostly all have and android or blackberry

Quote Originally Posted by alexevo View Post
    500,000 Android activations daily? are those unique AND new activations? because at that rate in 1 year more than half of the entire U.S. population will have an Android smartphone. Seems a bit optimistic to me.

As for iOS. I believe the 18.2million number but what would be more accurate is how many have been activated in the most recent 3 months.

New devices always have a huge opening and then taper off. Then again, the iOS one seems more accurate just for the fact that it comes out to just over 200,000 activations daily(in the first 3 months).

I'll defer to unison999 on this one and +1 on too many inaccurate surveys out there.
    The 500,000 Activations daily are worldwide not just in the U.S. I really dont care about the stats are because like mentioned above they are not accurate. All i know is I love my iphone 4 and will get the next one when it is released

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmaderosk8r View Post
    The 500,000 Activations daily are worldwide not just in the U.S. I really dont care about the stats are because like mentioned above they are not accurate. All i know is I love my iphone 4 and will get the next one when it is released
    Actually it is in U.S., Neilson only do ratings in U.S. Through out this whole article it states it is in U.S., even the graph shows it is data on U.S.
    So again this proves how inaccurate this stupid survey is, should have just left it alone and not post it here.

Banned
    Thanks

What a stupid article and very misleading, typical hype vs substance article by the modmyi staff.

how is 38% vs 27% loosing ground? Android activations are already twice as many as apple and if their current rate of activations continues, Android will hit a Million activations per day by October 2011 !!!

so please explain to me how Android is "loosing momentum"?

everybody in the industry knows that apple is now playing catch-up, hence the reason for no iphone 5 this summer (because it would have lagged behind the Samsung Galaxy S II and, Motorola Maxtrix and LG G2X) so apple had to go back to the drawing board and step up their game.

Its the same story with the ipad 2, already there's talk of the ipad 3 release this fall to replace the DOA ipad 2.

Quote Originally Posted by mmaboi21 View Post
    lol lindsy lohan???
    funny stuff bro

People are starting to notice how crappy android is and switching to ios. Yes of course that was an uneducated guess from the bottom of my belly.
    What a stupid article and very misleading, typical hype vs substance article by the modmyi staff.

how is 38% vs 27% loosing ground? Android activations are already twice as many as apple and if their current rate of activations continues, Android will hit a Million activations per day by October 2011 !!!

everybody in the industry knows that apple is now playing catch-up, hence the reason for no iphone 5 this summer (because it would have lagged behind the Samsung Galaxy S II and, Motorola Maxtrix and LG G2X) so apple had to go back to the drawing board and step up their game.

Its the same story with the ipad 2, already there's talk of the ipad 3 release this fall to replace the DOA ipad 2.

This article is a misleading and the staff at modmyi deliberately left out some information.

Android's market share has increased by 2pts while apple's has increased by 1pt.
    Android's daily activations are twice that of apple so is Android loosing ground to apple?
    More activations equal larger market share. at its current pace, Android's daily activations will reach 1 Million by October., so someone please tell me how is iOS gaining ground on Android?

PS. next time quote the whole story with ALL the facts.

Quote Originally Posted by mmaboi21 View Post
    lol lindsy lohan???
    funny stuff bro

This article is a misleading and the staff at modmyi deliberately left out some information.

Android's market share has increased by 2pts while apple's has increased by 1pt.
    Android's daily activations are twice that of apple so is Android loosing ground to apple?
    More activations equal larger market share. at its current pace, Android's daily activations will reach 1 Million by October., so someone please tell me how is iOS gaining ground on Android?
    Last edited by jOnGarrett; 07-01-2011 at 03:29 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Go Gators's Avatar
    Thanks

Android is losing momentum to the iPhone??? Lol! How is Android now having 500,000 activations per day to the iPhones 300,000 per day losing momentum? It's funny to read all these articles that try to spin the news in Apple's favor. The truth is Android is and has been dominating the iPhone for awhile now and there are NO signs of that changing.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Painkiller006's Avatar
    Thanks

Is it just me or jOnGarrett comment is being repeated a lot? Apple had the momentum at the start but now Android is taking the lead with powerful new phones.

Yeah but Apple still holds the majority of revenues, it's not that bad for them.

I had the evo to and it was ok and i got my iPhone 4 which i have had all the iPhone. And I'll never leave apple iPhone again. The evo was ok yea it had a big screen but it look like crap. And yea it had widgets but battery wouldn't even make to to lunch time. All the feature apple has I'n iOS are great and just works better. And apple will add those feature they are miss and and they will be great. So I'll stick with apple iPhone. Forever baby. Android laggy trash.

Thanks

There's no way that 500,000 "new" Android phones are being activated daily in the US. By that logic, the entire population of the US would have an Android smartphone within two years (assuming the activation and population growth rates hold constant). Same logic goes for the iPhone.

Even on a worldwide basis, I'm still questioning these statistics. There's no way a million Android smartphones are sold every two days on average, or a million iOS devices every three-plus days. Now if this is truly just "activations" (e.g., any time an Apple device is restored and has to get new push certificates from Apple, or any time an Android ROM is flashed/upgraded) on a worldwide scale, then at least we're in the correct statistical realm.
    Last edited by Orby; 07-01-2011 at 10:16 PM.

iPhone is loosing to Android. Totally wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post

Agreed
    Last edited by J Sweeney; 07-01-2011 at 10:18 PM.

This is probably the worst place to be a grammar nazi but..... the word is spelled losing. As in, J Sweeney you are losing your nose in jonGarret's backside.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    There's no way that 500,000 "new" Android phones are being activated daily in the US. By that logic, the entire population of the US would have an Android smartphone within two years (assuming the activation and population growth rates hold constant). Same logic goes for the iPhone.

Even on a worldwide basis, I'm still questioning these statistics. There's no way a million Android smartphones are sold every two days on average, or a million iOS devices every three-plus days. Now if this is truly just "activations" (e.g., any time an Apple device is restored and has to get new push certificates from Apple, or any time an Android ROM is flashed/upgraded) on a worldwide scale, then at least we're in the correct statistical realm.
    It's probably 500k every day worldwide. If you think about it, it would mean 150M every year, an amount that is accettable.

Quote Originally Posted by sprackleor View Post
    This is probably the worst place to be a grammar nazi but..... the word is spelled losing. As in, J Sweeney you are losing your nose in jonGarret's backside.
    You don't make any sense.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post

Which is understandable considering there are a lot more android phones than iOS. I'd agree with you nonetheless, do you have a link handy from the origination.
    Last edited by mmaboi21; 07-02-2011 at 05:38 PM.