Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Daily iOS Activations Now Trail Android Activations

  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Posts
    3,820
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

    Default Daily iOS Activations Now Trail Android Activations


    Given the flurry of mobile research that is conducted and released from myriad research firms on a seemingly daily basis, it can be difficult for even the most invested of tech reporters to keep track of the mobile platforms and operating systems that lead the industry according to the sources that release the aforementioned data, surveys, and other findings.

    Although many headlines and the mobile news they carry appear to contradict one another, one persistently consistent report is emerging in the mobile world that should make Apple a tad bit uneasy. And today, one of Google's most prominent leaders - Google vice president of engineering Andy Rubin - confirmed the chatter, and made it known that daily Android activations are now eclipsing daily iOS activations.

    "There are now over 500,000 Android devices activated every day, and it's growing at 4.4% w/w," Rubin Tweeted early Tuesday. Just six months ago, Android's daily activations were just 300,000. Quite a jump - so much so that Apple is effectively being left in the dust in terms of daily activations. Last October, Steve Jobs revealed that, on a good day, 300,000 iOS devices come online. Since then, iOS activations haven't grown nearly as much as Android activations have.

    So should Apple be worried? Well, perhaps not yet. But the IDC recently projected that Android will capture about 40% of the market in the second half of 2011. That market share is projected to hit 43.8% by 2015. By that time, IDC estimates, iOS won't even be the second-most popular mobile platform. According to the IDC, Android will take the gold, Windows will get the silver, and iOS will hold on to the bronze.

    Source: PC Magazine

  2. #2
    People are just bored with IOS, lets see what happens when they finally release the new Iphone. Also, does this include just phones, or all devices using IOS/Droid? Include Ipads in that and I think Apple is still in good shape??

  3. #3
    First of all, it is iPhone (consisting of 2g, 3g, 3gs and 4) vs ALOT of androids. Hardly fair. Secondly I don't think iOS would go down because of its ease of use and simplicity. I hope Apple sees this as a wake up call and realizes they can't keep on going up forever, hopefully we will see many new things to come to the iPhone and iOS (hopefully a UI overhaul). Just my 2cents.

  4. #4
    Android phones are cheeper and some droid devices are free on cheep contracts(here in the UK) unlike the iPhone

    Edit: Android seems to be on every other device on the market now so it doesn't surprise me to see a lot of activations for Android
    Last edited by dsg; 06-28-2011 at 05:09 PM.

  5. #5
    My iPhone is a Part of Me iPittsburgh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    983
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 102 Times in 99 Posts

    Here in the US you can go to walmart and get a brand new HTC Inspire "4G" for 30 dollars.

    As far as more android activations, well its not very surprising there are hundreds of android phones on every US carrier as opposed to 4 iPhones only on AT&T and now the CDMA iPhone 4 on Verizon.

    As for software, I like iOS because it just works the way its supposed to, but it does get a little boring here and there. Android however is very fun, but is a little too buggy at the moment with phones but are close to getting it right.
    Last edited by iPittsburgh; 06-28-2011 at 05:21 PM.

  6. #6
    Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Iowa (ISU for Vet School!)
    Posts
    3,920
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 310 Times in 264 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by piston597 View Post
    First of all, it is iPhone (consisting of 2g, 3g, 3gs and 4) vs ALOT of androids. Hardly fair. Secondly I don't think iOS would go down because of its ease of use and simplicity. I hope Apple sees this as a wake up call and realizes they can't keep on going up forever, hopefully we will see many new things to come to the iPhone and iOS (hopefully a UI overhaul). Just my 2cents.
    Who said anything had to be fair? This is business. We aren't comparing which operating system is better, we are merely comparing which operating system is selling better.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

    A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bklyn NY !!
    Posts
    913
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 62 Times in 51 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by piston597 View Post
    First of all, it is iPhone (consisting of 2g, 3g, 3gs and 4) vs ALOT of androids. Hardly fair. Secondly I don't think iOS would go down because of its ease of use and simplicity. I hope Apple sees this as a wake up call and realizes they can't keep on going up forever, hopefully we will see many new things to come to the iPhone and iOS (hopefully a UI overhaul). Just my 2cents.
    dude, you're in denial.

    first you say 4 versions of iPhone against a lot of Androids is hardly fair.??
    well.,

    Apple had a one year head start on both Phones and Tablets.

    second, its Apple's fault that they only have one flavor to choose from. having many phones with many features and a wide range of prices is an advantage that Android is exploiting.

    then you say you dont think Apple will go down, but professional research companies with massive resources are saying that Apple will even be passed by Windows Phone.

    so to go from first place to third place says a lot about Apple's business philosophy and what users want to be able to do with their devices.

    if Apple was to open the flood gates, and just bend a little towards the will of its users rather than the will of Steve Jobs, then and only then would Apple stop its decline.

    I have an iPhone 4 and its the best phone Ive ever had., I chose the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 over the iPad 2 because I find iOS to be very boring and state and I get tired of new firmwares and waiting for new jailbreaks and waiting for devs to make my favorite Cydia apps compatible when on my Android device, I have all those great features built into the OS.

    hell, even Apple now realizes this and have copied Android, RIM and WinPho features into the upcoming iOS 5

  8. #8
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,441
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 185 Times in 145 Posts

    @jOnGarrett
    It really doesn't matter about who has the most phones with their OS out there.

    Also having too many SKU's like the abundant choice of Android phones can be bad. You buy a new iPhone today, it's got the latest software and will support the next few major releases. (iPhone 4 will more than likely support into iOS 6). But you can buy a new Android phone today and it might not even have the latest version, and if it does, it might not get the next update. Granted Google are remedying that better now but it's still there as of now.

  9. #9
    My iPhone is a Part of Me iGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    539
    Thanks
    48
    Thanked 63 Times in 58 Posts

    Actually it's only 2 iPhones - I'm sure there aren't many 2G & 3G iPhones being activated nowadays on a daily basis, which is what is being compared to Android here.

    Why is this news? I'd have thought it would be obvious given that there are more phones using Android than iOS.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    dude, you're in denial.

    first you say 4 versions of iPhone against a lot of Androids is hardly fair.??
    well.,

    Apple had a one year head start on both Phones and Tablets.

    second, its Apple's fault that they only have one flavor to choose from. having many phones with many features and a wide range of prices is an advantage that Android is exploiting.

    then you say you dont think Apple will go down, but professional research companies with massive resources are saying that Apple will even be passed by Windows Phone.

    so to go from first place to third place says a lot about Apple's business philosophy and what users want to be able to do with their devices.

    if Apple was to open the flood gates, and just bend a little towards the will of its users rather than the will of Steve Jobs, then and only then would Apple stop its decline.

    I have an iPhone 4 and its the best phone Ive ever had., I chose the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 over the iPad 2 because I find iOS to be very boring and state and I get tired of new firmwares and waiting for new jailbreaks and waiting for devs to make my favorite Cydia apps compatible when on my Android device, I have all those great features built into the OS.

    hell, even Apple now realizes this and have copied Android, RIM and WinPho features into the upcoming iOS 5
    Umm I see your point but what I mean by it is not fair is that you are comparing basically one phone, the iPhone 4 (3gs 3g and 2g activation are negligible now) vs a whole array of androids from free to $2092039232. Now if they compared the iPhone activations to one specific one we will see that iPhone blows away the competition. Also you see new androids coming out everyday and claiming to be an iPhone killer, not one phone has been even come close to the success the iPhone has bought.

    Also the professional research companies with massive resources that claim Apple will go under have a strong point. But you gotta understand Apple basically commands the market, they came out with the iPhone 2g, and comes the hundreds of touchscreen iPhone killers. They made a basically nonexistent market mainstream with the introduction if the iPad, and then came the hundreds of iPad killers. Face it, Apple commands the market basically. iOS and iPhone is here to stay for a LONG time.

  11. #11
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Painkiller006's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    B7R
    Posts
    203
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by piston597 View Post
    Umm I see your point but what I mean by it is not fair is that you are comparing basically one phone, the iPhone 4 (3gs 3g and 2g activation are negligible now) vs a whole array of androids from free to $2092039232. Now if they compared the iPhone activations to one specific one we will see that iPhone blows away the competition. Also you see new androids coming out everyday and claiming to be an iPhone killer, not one phone has been even come close to the success the iPhone has bought.

    Also the professional research companies with massive resources that claim Apple will go under have a strong point. But you gotta understand Apple basically commands the market, they came out with the iPhone 2g, and comes the hundreds of touchscreen iPhone killers. They made a basically nonexistent market mainstream with the introduction if the iPad, and then came the hundreds of iPad killers. Face it, Apple commands the market basically. iOS and iPhone is here to stay for a LONG time.
    The SGSII and Evo 3D say Hi. Those phone alone blows the iPhone out of the water. Apple no longer commands the market, at 1st it did but then you got phones like the Thunderbolt, the Evo's and the Galaxy S series that are making apple loose command. Face it, Apple is loosing it.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bklyn NY !!
    Posts
    913
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 62 Times in 51 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    @jOnGarrett
    It really doesn't matter about who has the most phones with their OS out there.

    Also having too many SKU's like the abundant choice of Android phones can be bad. You buy a new iPhone today, it's got the latest software and will support the next few major releases. (iPhone 4 will more than likely support into iOS 6). But you can buy a new Android phone today and it might not even have the latest version, and if it does, it might not get the next update. Granted Google are remedying that better now but it's still there as of now.
    iPhone 4 will more than likely support into iOS 6? what, like iPhone 3G and 3GS will NEVER see iOS 5?!?!?! and those older gen ipod touches?

    If you want to know what Google has to say about that, watch some Google IO videos and you'll see whats going on. I love my iPhone 4 but I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 over the ipad 2.

  13. #13
    My iPhone is a Part of Me iPittsburgh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    983
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 102 Times in 99 Posts

    The 3GS will support iOS5.

    Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post

    I have an iPhone 4 and its the best phone Ive ever had., I chose the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 over the iPad 2 because I find iOS to be very boring and state and I get tired of new firmwares and waiting for new jailbreaks and waiting for devs to make my favorite Cydia apps compatible when on my Android device, I have all those great features built into the OS.

    hell, even Apple now realizes this and have copied Android, RIM and WinPho features into the upcoming iOS 5
    Its more like Apple finally listened to what consumers wanted and put them in iOS5. I do agree that iOS is a little boring though.
    Last edited by iPittsburgh; 06-28-2011 at 07:54 PM.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bklyn NY !!
    Posts
    913
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 62 Times in 51 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by piston597 View Post
    Umm I see your point but what I mean by it is not fair is that you are comparing basically one phone, the iPhone 4 (3gs 3g and 2g activation are negligible now) vs a whole array of androids from free to $2092039232. Now if they compared the iPhone activations to one specific one we will see that iPhone blows away the competition. Also you see new androids coming out everyday and claiming to be an iPhone killer, not one phone has been even come close to the success the iPhone has bought.

    Also the professional research companies with massive resources that claim Apple will go under have a strong point. But you gotta understand Apple basically commands the market, they came out with the iPhone 2g, and comes the hundreds of touchscreen iPhone killers. They made a basically nonexistent market mainstream with the introduction if the iPad, and then came the hundreds of iPad killers. Face it, Apple commands the market basically. iOS and iPhone is here to stay for a LONG time.
    you said "Apple command's the market" so why is it that Apple made the world's first personal computer with a GUI but today, Microsoft owns 80% of the world's personal computer market?

    AND NOW

    Apple which once lead (the current generation) smartphone market is now Second (barely second having 26% vs 25.7% for RIM) and predicted to fall to 3rd behind Microsoft.

    apple did not make a non-existent market mainstream because;

    there were smart phones way before Apple was a household name and I was playing movies, downloading apps, sending email, surfing the web on a full color, touch screen Compaq iPaq back in 1999.

    Apple does one thing better than the rest, they are very good at making the uninformed public believe that they are the innovators of all this great technology when all they really did was copy everything, wrap it up in a prettier package and market the hell out of it.

    I think Steve Jobs is an egomaniac and he has this creepy vision of apple users being this chic, trendy upscale type of person. he makes pretty gadgets for them, overprice them and caters to their insecurities and or narcissists tendencies. apple fans tend to see their pricy gadgets as status symbols and believe me, it shows.

  15. #15
    And what about this touchscreen patent apple was rewarded? How will THAT affect android?

  16. #16
    Default android vs iphone 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Painkiller006 View Post
    The SGSII and Evo 3D say Hi. Those phone alone blows the iPhone out of the water. Apple no longer commands the market, at 1st it did but then you got phones like the Thunderbolt, the Evo's and the Galaxy S series that are making apple loose command. Face it, Apple is loosing it.
    look guys ive owned the thunderbolt and a few android phones..software on those phones are not up to par...i own an iphone 4.very stable when it comes to the o.s and battery life..my thunderbolt dies in about 3 to 4 hours on standby...????has the latest software froyo..well i rooted it.. but for what? better battery? guys i love where google is going but they need a single phone.....not a thousand!!!!!! they just need one phone.....

    p.s "I am not a Fanboy!!"

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    you said "Apple command's the market" so why is it that Apple made the world's first personal computer with a GUI but today, Microsoft owns 80% of the world's personal computer market?

    AND NOW

    Apple which once lead (the current generation) smartphone market is now Second (barely second having 26% vs 25.7% for RIM) and predicted to fall to 3rd behind Microsoft.

    apple did not make a non-existent market mainstream because;

    there were smart phones way before Apple was a household name and I was playing movies, downloading apps, sending email, surfing the web on a full color, touch screen Compaq iPaq back in 1999.

    Apple does one thing better than the rest, they are very good at making the uninformed public believe that they are the innovators of all this great technology when all they really did was copy everything, wrap it up in a prettier package and market the hell out of it.

    I think Steve Jobs is an egomaniac and he has this creepy vision of apple users being this chic, trendy upscale type of person. he makes pretty gadgets for them, overprice them and caters to their insecurities and or narcissists tendencies. apple fans tend to see their pricy gadgets as status symbols and believe me, it shows.
    When I say they command the market basically, I mean it as a form of expression, don't take too many things you read literally. Also I see what your saying how there have been smartphones around before, but have you ever seen one that was so widespread even grandparents use it? You can't deny the fact that Apple has a big fan base that will jump when Apple says jump (also and expression). Also I agree they copy because it this day and age without copying someone else idea to some extent you can't get anywhere. You think Android would have gotten where it is without Apple making the iPhone? Same with the iPad, once it was released then we see the galaxy pad or whatever, and many more (I myself see no point whatsoever in iPad, galaxypad, yourpad, theirpad, he/she/wepad, etc)

    And idk about you but I love using my iPhone but I don't think of it as a status thing. Those are insecure 16 yr old teenage girls/boys who think the world revolves around them. And yes, Steve Jobs is a creepy big brother like person who wants to brainwash everyone into buying his overpriced products. But who cares?

  18. #18
    This is just my thought, so bear with me-
    I see apple and the iPhone going the same path as guitar hero. They were only available to one certain group [AT&T] (as guitar hero was PS2 exclusive). Then came along Rock Band [Android] to compete. As a result, the iPhone and IOS moves to other groups to increase population [verizon and possibly sprint] (as guitar hero moved to Wii, and XBOX 360). And they start releasing an insane amount of different updates that have almost no difference from the previous (like guitar hero 3, world tour, 5, warriors of rock, aerosmith, Metallica, smash hits, Encore, Van halen, etc.) Eventually, people get tired of this and stop buying their products and services (as Guitar Hero disbanded and went on a hiatus). And more and more people continue to move to Android as they give other options (like Rock Band has the RBN, keyboard, dual vocals, etc.)
    Phew, sorry about that rant. It's just what I'm seeing.

  19. #19
    iOS5 has similar features to Android, should be interesting now to see where the activations go.

  20. #20
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Painkiller006's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    B7R
    Posts
    203
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by falkon1420 View Post
    look guys ive owned the thunderbolt and a few android phones..software on those phones are not up to par...i own an iphone 4.very stable when it comes to the o.s and battery life..my thunderbolt dies in about 3 to 4 hours on standby...????has the latest software froyo..well i rooted it.. but for what? better battery? guys i love where google is going but they need a single phone.....not a thousand!!!!!! they just need one phone.....

    p.s "I am not a Fanboy!!"
    There is no way the thunderbolt dies in 3 or 4 hours on standby. Like I said, the SGSII phone is probablythe best Android phone out right now, hopefully the US versions don't suck. The latest android software is Gingerbread just gotta wait till the thunderbolt gets updated or since you rooted you can already install the gingerbread ROM. But to each their own

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •