Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: App Store App Downloads Now Come with Seven Day Return Policy in Taiwan

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

Default App Store App Downloads Now Come with Seven Day Return Policy in Taiwan

Imagine purchasing an app from the App Store, using it vigorously for six days, and then deciding on the seventh that it just isn't right for you. What can you do at that point? In the US, nothing at all. In Taiwan, however, you can effectively "return it." This policy marks the first time the Cupertino tech giant has authorized a "trial period" of sorts for App Store app purchases.

Apple is joined by Google in its revamp of mobile app purchasing policies within Taiwan - a change that was facilitated by demands from the Taiwanese government. According WantChinaTimes, both tech companies "have yielded to pressure from the Taipei City Government by agreeing to provide refunds to smartphone users who return the applications that they downloaded from each company's app stores."

"At the request of Taipei City Hall," the report reads, "Apple agreed to let their phone users have a trial period of seven days, within which a user can return the app for a full refund. The company's original policy gave users only fifteen minutes to try out programs."

Taipei City Hall asked Apple on June 7 to comply with the law requiring a seven-day trial use period for consumer products and gave them a June 23 deadline. Taipei asked Apple to include a refund guide written in Chinese.
    Apple and Google reportedly faced substantial pressure from government officials to extend the commonplace practices and cultural norms of Taiwan society - a society that apparently greatly values the freedom to thoroughly test drive any and all purchases before the transaction is fully binding.

Source: WantChinaTimes

Thats a long time for a trial.

i bought so many rubbish apps

im pretty sure u can do this in any country...
    just open itunes, and go to ur account
    and view ur purchase history,
    and select report a problem and pick the mistake app...
    u should be able to return (i believe with the same 7 day policy)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Thenextkiller's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Turb02 View Post
    True dat. You can beat a game and return it...
    Am firin ma lasah

Quote Originally Posted by vietkool View Post
    those chinese want that long for trial so they have time to crack the app and use it for free after the trial period end. That's how chinese doing now. copy some body else and use it - no brainer

I think its a "no-brainer" that you're a culturally insensitive *****. I can't believe I have to share a world with you.

Thanks

Glad it hasn't came here, too many people would take advantage of it.

Quote Originally Posted by mmaboi21 View Post
    Glad it hasn't came here, too many people would take advantage of it.
    Way too many for sure
    Quote Originally Posted by ikesmasher View Post
    that was officially the scariest thing you have ever said str4y.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho paco View Post
    Dude T.M.I

That's not right. I bought a app that would not work. Apple refused to refund my money. Said there is no returns, doesn't matter what the reason is. I had to wait almost 3 months for the app to be updated & function properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Turb02 View Post
    Not really, when I buy a product I expect to be using it 2-5 years latter at the minimum so 7 days to make up your mind isn't much.

Quote Originally Posted by spazturtle View Post
    Not really, when I buy a product I expect to be using it 2-5 years latter at the minimum so 7 days to make up your mind isn't much.
    When you buy an app you expect to use it 2-5 years from now?
    Quote Originally Posted by ikesmasher View Post
    that was officially the scariest thing you have ever said str4y.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho paco View Post
    Dude T.M.I

Quote Originally Posted by Str4y View Post
    When you buy an app you expect to use it 2-5 years from now?
    When I buy software for my mac or pc or a game for my wii or ds I continue to use the software for 2-5 years minimum, why should iOS be different?

Wow, if I was an iOS dev, I would do everything in my power to make sure my app isn't available in Taiwan. You could essentially "rent" every app in the App Store for seven days and get a refund.

It is common knowledge that 99% of the apps available on iOS have very little long-term value. I know I would abuse the hell out of this return policy if they brought it stateside.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Themyst View Post
    Wow, if I was an iOS dev, I would do everything in my power to make sure my app isn't available in Taiwan. You could essentially "rent" every app in the App Store for seven days and get a refund.

It is common knowledge that 99% of the apps available on iOS have very little long-term value. I know I would abuse the hell out of this return policy if they brought it stateside.
    Why should a developer be allowed to intentionally sell poorly coded or useless apps, and be allowed to cloak themselves in Apple's "no refunds" policy to scam a buck or two (or ten)? The consumer deserves some protection, and it's the developer's own problem if they choose to make apps that get refunded for their own haphazard or deceitful practices. I see this as equivalent to selling a car with a known faulty engine seal design, or a massive book with one page of text in it billed as a whole novel--no respectable retailer won't refund you under those circumstances (they kinda have to, else things could get ugly with consumer protection laws and credit-card chargebacks).

Now, once you refund an app, you can't download it again until there's an update at the very minimum? That makes sense to me. Perhaps getting a refund and being barred from purchasing the app again, period, would be an equally solid deterrent.

Two weeks may also be a bit long--but twenty-four to seventy-two hours seems about right.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

I hope the U.S follows Taiwan. I think people are tired of buying apps that don't work. I am also tired myself of having to buy the upgrades now..... thought upgrades were free when this all stared out? The in app purchases used to be the upgrades but now you have to pay for them and pay for the app as well.... hope it all stops!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post
    I hope the U.S follows Taiwan. I think people are tired of buying apps that don't work. I am also tired myself of having to buy the upgrades now..... thought upgrades were free when this all stared out? The in app purchases used to be the upgrades but now you have to pay for them and pay for the app as well.... hope it all stops!
    I really really hope we don't..

Sorry as much as I like the tooth fairy I'm going to have to disagree with you. Two reasons...

1. Reviews give you an inside look of what the app is really like. Yes I know some are biased but take the time to read through them.

2. We are very well aware of the risk of getting an app thinking you'll use it then putting it in a folder and that's history.

Point being essentially we know more or less what the app is and what it's going to do.

I really don't like disagreeing with someone as nice as you. I mean that genuinely.