Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Stores Can Now Unlock AT&T iPhones At Point of Sale

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Apple Stores Can Now Unlock AT&T iPhones At Point of Sale
    http://modmyi.com/images/phillip/iPhone4unlock.jpg

On June 14th, MMi reported that Apple had begun selling unlocked iPhone 4's (the GSM iPhone 4 models, that is) through the company's online store - a move that stunned and pleasantly surprised many, particularly since most were quick to dismiss rumors hinting at this possibility leading up the actual announcement from Apple.

"If you donít want a multiyear service contract or if you prefer to use a local carrier when traveling abroad," Apple said upon the announcement, "the unlocked iPhone 4 is the best choice. It arrives without a micro-SIM card, so youíll need an active micro-SIM card from any supported GSM carrier worldwide."

Taking yet another step into unlocked territory here in the US, the tech giant appears to have made it possible for Apple Stores to unlock the full price AT&T version ($650 for the 16GB or $749 for 32GB) of the iPhone 4 at checkout. Prior to these noteworthy changes at Apple just this month, folks could still get a contract-less iPhone (big price tag included) but the devices remained locked to AT&T.

As a result of Apple's new and more relaxed unlocking policy, iPhone owners or prospective buyers can enjoy a small amount of new carrier flexibility - something at least one million iPhone users in the US are already doing. That's the approximate number of iPhones presently running on T-Mobile here in the states.

Source: 9 to 5 Mac

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

AWESOME! Getting closer but we still need them to unlock ones that are already bought and paid for

The day UltraSn0w is unnecessary is getting closer - that has to be good news
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

I'm sure Apple is just trying to clear out the iphone 4 stock before the next model. The big question is will the next model also be made available in factory unlocked form in the usa right away?

Thanks
    Thanked 15,285 Times in 7,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
    I'm sure Apple is just trying to clear out the iphone 4 stock before the next model. The big question is will the next model also be made available in factory unlocked form in the usa right away?
    I hope it will be. Being able to buy a new iPhone from the US factory unlocked would make things a lot easier.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

ihappy (06-26-2011)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I hope they are. being able to buy them from the US factory unlocked would make things a lot easier.
    I totally agree

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Didn't Apple start selling unlocked 3G's leading up to the 3GS and unlocked 3GS's leading up to the iPhone 4?
    How is it stunning or surprising that they are doing the same with iP4 leading up to iPhone 5?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Didn't Apple start selling unlocked 3G's leading up to the 3GS and unlocked 3GS's leading up to the iPhone 4?
    How is it stunning or surprising that they are doing the same with iP4 leading up to iPhone 5?
    Not here in the states I am afraid mate.

The iphone shouldn't be lock in the 1st place, I should be only tie to the carrier with a 2 years service contract or I pay the ETF.

I have 5 blackberry prior to the iphone and all the BB are under contract and tmobile will unlock it within the 1st week of my possesion, they even unlock an AT&T BB for me to use on tmobile. I join them when they are call voicestream back in the 90s, too bad they don't have the iphone and I have to jump ship.

Anyway, I hope apple will unlock an out of contract iphone for free or with a small fee, when I finish my 2 years commitment term, I don't see any reason why I should be lock to a certain carrier, maybe FCC should step in and straighten things out.

iPhone? More like MyPhone bootleg's Avatar
    Thanks

too bad this wasn't 6 to 8 months ago. with a new iphone so close, why buy an unlocked 4? personally i'm jumping from t-mobile to verizon. i'm tired of paying outrageous prices for iphones for myself and my family. the 2 the 3g and the 3gs has been great for us on t-mobile. but we're done.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I'm going to assume that future iPhones will be able to be unlocked by Apple USA as well. It wouldn't make sense to allow just this particular recent model and not the rest. Of course, affording it at $649 is another issue for some

Although, foreign never-locked iPhones are seriously over-priced so $649 ain't that bad.

Once all of the iPhones are unlocked I'm sure the price will go down. Well then again its Apple.
    Quote Originally Posted by ikesmasher View Post
    that was officially the scariest thing you have ever said str4y.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho paco View Post
    Dude T.M.I

Already report at MacRumors that somebody's purchase a non contract iphone, and later was unlock by applestore.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cbr900rr95 View Post
    Already report at MacRumors that somebody's purchase a non contract iphone, and later was unlock by applestore.
    I'm chalking this one up as an unsubstantiated rumor myself. Anecdotal reasoning incoming.

I went to the Apple Store in my city today, and spoke with the regional manager and the business-account coordinator. I asked if they'd seen this e-mail and what they could do about it.

They proceeded to check the last month's worth of policy notices and returned with the conclusion that Apple issued no such policy statement, and thus their policy of not unlocking iPhones already locked remains in force--if an Apple Store is out of unlocked phones, they say, they'll advise you to come back another day, or try another store.

Argh.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cbr900rr95 View Post
    That's very fortunate for that person.

I had no such luck today at an Apple Store in the US--manager shot me down cold. Hence why I said I thought it wasn't the case. All I'm saying.

Green Apple
    Thanks

wow its all about the money

Quote Originally Posted by bootleg View Post
    too bad this wasn't 6 to 8 months ago. with a new iphone so close, why buy an unlocked 4? personally i'm jumping from t-mobile to verizon. i'm tired of paying outrageous prices for iphones for myself and my family. the 2 the 3g and the 3gs has been great for us on t-mobile. but we're done.
    did u know that there is a prepaid plan in t-mobile everything unlimited its only $50 a month without contract. cant get any cheaper than that

Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Thanks

Nice, Has anyone called the evil empire to see if they will unlock your iphone?

Will apple unlock any iphone? or only iphone 4?

anyone else try to get their iPhone they bought last year unlocked??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast