+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Possible Dual-LED Flash On iPhone 5

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Rumors have surface speculating that the iPhone 5 may come with dual-LED flash. Recent marketing indicators and insider information has brought DIGITIMES to write a quick story on the known
    Thanks

Default Possible Dual-LED Flash On iPhone 5

Rumors have surface speculating that the iPhone 5 may come with dual-LED flash. Recent marketing indicators and insider information has brought DIGITIMES to write a quick story on the known information:

According to sources for DIGITIMES, Apple's iPhone 5 is likely to have dual-LED flash from a Taiwan-based companies that specialize in LED packages. The companies that are speculated to be involved are Everlight Electronics, Edison Opto, and Lite-On Technology. All the companies have denied involvement when questioned.

One major indicator of the possibility of the dual-LED flash is the recent news that Apple may have limited its orders from Phillips and switched orders to Taiwan manufacturers. Information regarding the full details are unknown.

Another interesting component of credibility is a leaked photo of an iPhone 5 case that came out recently on a Chinese marketing website. In the picture, it shows not just one camera but another mysterious hole on the other side of the phone.

The news of the dual-LED flash coincides directly with the rumors that the iPhone 5 will also sport a 8 mega-pixel camera. Parts and features of the iPhone 5 are continuing to come together, however no component has been seemingly more connected to the truth then the camera. With this said, the idea of the dual-LED is not a far off assumption.

Source(s): DIGITIMES, AppleInsider
    Last edited by Joshua Tucker; 06-23-2011 at 09:22 AM.

Banned
    Thanks

If its got 2 cameras like the picture above I would guess it'll be for 3D not dual leds.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    That photo is old - doesn't show two LED flashes at all. One is the camera and the other is the relocated flash to avoid the problems caused by siting the two together as in iPhone 4.

Unless I'm being really thick and missing the joke.

iPhone? More like MyPhone SwatPac's Avatar
    Thanks

I think he means one flash in front and one in back, You know? A separate flash for the front facing camera. It could also be used to blink for notifications and what not.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    If its got 2 cameras like the picture above I would guess it'll be for 3D not dual leds.
    those are not two cameras, one is the camera and the other is the led, pic at night with iphone 4 with flash on are not always good because you can notice the flash beam in the picture, wich make it look horrible...

the camera placed on the other side of the phone should not mess with the picture, that's a good move

The Jack White of Photoshop Hosko817's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,137 Times in 411 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SwatPac View Post
    I think he means one flash in front and one in back, You know? A separate flash for the front facing camera. It could also be used to blink for notifications and what not.
    That would make no sense at all. If it were for notifications, it would be a simple LED. Can you imagine taking self portraits ,via the front-facing cam, with the flash two feet from your face? Just sayin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hosko817 View Post
    Can you imagine taking self portraits ,via the front-facing cam, with the flash two feet from your face? Just sayin
    That would be pretty vain I can imagine .

The reason why dual-LED is speculated is because of camera and then the mysterious hole on the other side. It wouldn't make sense to have two cameras however the hole on the other side that is unknown could possibly be a candidate. In the original rumor, the mentioned that there wasn't any LED attached to the device whatsoever. However, it would seem odd that there would be a random hole for no reason.
    Last edited by Joshua Tucker; 06-23-2011 at 09:23 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Why would there be a need for a second flash? The current light is very bright....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MnVikingsFan26 View Post
    Why would there be a need for a second flash? The current light is very bright....
    Expands the range of the flash (I generally have issues with the flash being too low actually). With the 8 MP camera rumored, it may enhance its functionality in that regard also.

iPhone? More like MyPhone James360Petty's Avatar
    Thanks

I love speculation.... I also heard someone speculate that the iPhone 5 would suck your balls...... or was that the 6?
    "It's really hard to design products by focus groups. A lot of times, people don't know what they want until you show it to them."

Thanks

Default I agree with you
    Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    I think that to, why would it have two flashlights. Also they are probably copying the 3ds

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Tucker View Post
    That would be pretty vain I can imagine .

The reason why dual-LED is speculated is because of camera and then the mysterious hole on the other side. It wouldn't make sense to have two cameras however the hole on the other side that is unknown could possibly be a candidate. In the original rumor, the mentioned that there wasn't any LED attached to the device whatsoever. However, it would seem odd that there would be a random hole for no reason.
    Being that the image in your thread starter is the only one that I am aware of, I will presume that the quoted post relates to that image...

Looking at that image, the case's left aperture is only large enough for the camera lens itself (no flash there), and the 2nd hole is for the relocated and only flash, presumable moved to avoid flash flare as mentioned earlier or to allow the production of the next white iPhone be more cost effective.

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

You'd have to be absolutely batsh*t crazy to think Apple would be handing out iPhone 5 specification guidance, or any other iPhone 5 information, to a no name Chinese case manufacturer a full 2 or 3 months prior to announcement / product launch. In fact I would be totally surprised if the big boys of the accessory market (Belkin, Casemate, Logitech) had early access to iPhone 5 specifications.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Anyone consider that iOS 5 has the led flash when you get a notification? With your phone face down an led on top would hold some ground.

Thanks
    Sorry but I have to ask if that's a real theme shown in the picture or fake? It looks like the iPad theme but I like the small icon size... just thought it looked really clean and was curious if someone actually has it and what's it called?

Thanks!
    iBlaze

Thanks
    Thanked 1,357 Times in 1,074 Posts

Get the iPad wallpaper and a tweak called Shrink.
    Quote Originally Posted by ikesmasher View Post
    that was officially the scariest thing you have ever said str4y.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho paco View Post
    Dude T.M.I

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

it wouldbe about time. all these new phones already started doing dual flash

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Str4y View Post
    Get the iPad wallpaper and a tweak called Shrink.
    Dude your the man. Thank you!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,357 Times in 1,074 Posts

No problem
    Quote Originally Posted by ikesmasher View Post
    that was officially the scariest thing you have ever said str4y.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho paco View Post
    Dude T.M.I

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Stray For This Useful Post:

iBlaze (06-23-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default No Joke.
    Quote Originally Posted by bournerj View Post
    That photo is old - doesn't show two LED flashes at all. One is the camera and the other is the relocated flash to avoid the problems caused by siting the two together as in iPhone 4.

Unless I'm being really thick and missing the joke.
    Looks like the 4. - no joke, definitely not for 3d. I think at this point we need to leave the 4s/5 alone and just want a month or 2 when it launches.