Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Article: All Your Base Belong To Us: Apple Granted Touch Screen Patent, Everyone Else Screwed

Default All Your Base Belong To Us: Apple Granted Touch Screen Patent, Everyone Else Screwed

Apple was granted the holy grail of smartphone patents yesterday: a patent on touch screens.

Thats like owning a patent on water in Africa.

Apple was finally granted US patent number 7966578 nearly three years after filing for it. They've been awarded control over:

[a] computer-implemented method, for use in conjunction with a portable multifunction device with a touch screen display, [that] comprises displaying a portion of page content, including a frame displaying a portion of frame content and also including other content of the page, on the touch screen display.
    If you read that as I did, Apple now has full ownership of the "capacitive multitouch interface," otherwise known as "the input method every smartphone manufacturer worth a damn uses."

Apple essentially can now sue the pants off all its competitors, which is everyone else in the mobile computing industry. HTC, Samsung, Motorola, and Nokia are all at Apple's mercy. The large settlement that Apple forked over to Nokia to license certain mobile technologies is going to look like a pitance compared to what Apple will be able to do.

In a worst case scenario Apple could eliminate capacitive touch screens from all their competitors phones, creating a shocking monopoly in the realm of touch interfaces. Or they could license out the technology, and make money off of every phone their competitors sell, and charge a premium at that.

Money may not grow on trees, but with this new patent Apple will likely run out of the trees necessary to print money before this well dries up.

Source: PC World

iPhone? More like MyPhone ugshotgun's Avatar
    Thanks

Cool!

I know the writer is excited but no need to double post...

Apple IS taking over the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Samberg865 View Post
    Apple IS taking over the world.
    Apple HAS taken

God I hate apple more and more every day. Touch screens have been around WAY WAY before the iPhone. Why not patent the actual fruit known as an apple. If you eat one, you owe apple a fruit tax. FFS, this **** is ridiculous.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to GmAz For This Useful Post:

that_girl (06-22-2011)

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

But LG had Capacitive Touch screens on their phones BEFORE iPhone was released.

Multitouch/pinch to zoom is another thing but I can see LG suing Apple like they did with Sony for blu ray.

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
    But LG had Capacitive Touch screens on their phones BEFORE iPhone was released.

Multitouch/pinch to zoom is another thing but I can see LG suing Apple like they did with Sony for blu ray.
    Unfortuanatly it doesnt matter who made it first it's who has the patent. As of now that would be Apple.

Holy ****! Hahaha

Game over "iPhone killers" I'm so tired of hearing that phrase.

Holy ****! Hahaha

Game over "iPhone killers" - I'm so tired of hearing that phrase.

If you actually read the patent, you'd have known that this is only for the idea of using n number of fingers to move content inside an entire page and m (where m > n) number of fingers to move content inside a frame inside that page.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to demize95 For This Useful Post:

domenicp (06-23-2011)

haha !! very well written article. the "All your base are belong to us" had me LOLing

Only 1 comment for this story?

This is EPIC!!! Hahahaha

Game over "iPhone killers" - I'm so tired of hearing this phrase.

That PC World writer misinterpreted the patent, as other writers have. ZDNet, who also jumped on the same bandwagon, has since retracted its original claim.

The patent is actually quite narrow and mainly targets Apple's desire to eliminate scroll bars.

In wireless lawsuit fray, Apple snags mobile touchscreen patent | ZDNet

good God!! at this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple decided to buy out Microsoft after all the money made from this patent. Apple is pretty much sinking every other business weather it's smart phones, os's or pads. I bet Steve Jobs is on cloud nine from happiness. If for some reason Apple was able to buy Microsoft, I wonder what would happen.

Quote Originally Posted by therandy View Post
    This is EPIC!!! Hahahaha

Ohh, the ignorance in this thread is killing me. All these 13 year olds should really stop being Apple's tools. I find it hilarious how even the "writer" thinks that apple can sue the pants off of all the other companies. Yeah, no. If you'd actually do some research, you'd find that this is a very specific kind of patent, and is easily maneuverable by engineers/etc.

For a dumbed down version, I recommend:
    Apple granted patent on webpage scrolling behaviors, media granted patent on crazy | This is my next...

"And, as usual, most of the hysteria is based on a fundamental misinterpretation of what the patent claims actually say, and what behaviors they actually cover in iOS."

Also, youtube video for those who don't like to read (which is a lot of people here)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=lxGpoc5HRYc

20. The Following User Says Thank You to alien mars18 For This Useful Post:

Painkiller006 (06-22-2011)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Painkiller006's Avatar
    Thanks

People need to understand what the patent means especially the writter.

Quote Originally Posted by swifty7 View Post
    If for some reason Apple was able to buy Microsoft, I wonder what would happen.
    Want to know what would happen? It would be rejected by the US Department of Justice on antitrust grounds. DOJ would never let the two commercial OS providers for personal computers merge into one.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Painkiller006's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by therandy View Post
    This is EPIC!!! Hahahaha

I think one ignorant post was enough, no need for a second one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast