+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Mail Enhancer: Comprehensive Mail.app Improvements

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
When it comes down to it, convenience and functionality is what makes many jailbreak applications and tweaks useful. Anything that makes what is done easier and more efficiently is key
    Thanks

Default Mail Enhancer: Comprehensive Mail.app Improvements

When it comes down to it, convenience and functionality is what makes many jailbreak applications and tweaks useful. Anything that makes what is done easier and more efficiently is key and popular. Of all the areas of iOS, a component that is generally focused on is the Mail.app.

There have been recurring complaints from Mail.app users as features are extremely limited. There is not much customization or settings that enhance and revamp your mail experience. One such application, Mail Enhancer, aims at fixing this issue.

Mail Enhancer, created by Stefan Mollenkamp (@stm_dev), is a comprehensive tweak that gives your Mail.app a ton of new features. Anything that a person could ever want or use in the Mail.app is made available by this application. Here are a few of the many features that are provided by Mail Enhancer:

• Multiple signatures (Custom)
    • Notifications
    • Quiet Hours
    • Highlighting
    • Much more

One particular component that I thought was a staple feature was the Quiet Hours settings. In Quiet Hours, you can set times where you do not want to be disturbed by notifications. This is useful especially if you have your mail set to push (non-manual fetching). Each feature has a multitude of settings within each making this application very thorough and well worth it. It is highly recommended.

It is compatible on devices running iOS 4.0+ (not iOS 5) and is available on Cydia now for $4.99.

Name: Mail Enhancer
    Author: Stefan Mollenkamp (stm)
    Version: 2.2-1
    Price: $4.99

When conducting this review, I also had the opportunity to interview Stefan about his work on Mail Enhancer. Our conversation is below:

JOSH: What gave you the idea to create Mail Enhancer?
    STEFAN: The lack of functionality of the original MobileMail got me thinking if there was room for improvements. And there definitely was. Since I myself have 3 mail accounts set up on the iPhone, I asked, why Apple only provides a single signature? It just doesn't make sense at all. My best guess would be, they added the "signature" only from a marketing perspective, so that everyone could add "Sent from my iPhone" to their mails - which is very annoying by the way. I don't care what device you sent your mail from. Additionally I'd love to make MobileMail more clear and provide a better overview. With Mail Enhancer, this can now be done with the "unread only" button on the lower right of your inbox view, which toggles "show all mails" and "show unread mails only" and a highlighting feature to distinguish the accounts by color.

JOSH: How long did it take you to develop it? What component of the tweak was the most difficult?
    STEFAN: Hard to say. I can only say that I haven't had much sleep over the weekends for the last few months. Additionally, I worked on it almost every day. An estimate would be that it took about 2 1/2 months (just for version 2). The most difficult component was / is the settings bundle. Since I like the idea of giving the user as much room for customizations as possible, the settings became very complex and it's hard to find the right way between ease of use and ability to provide customization.

JOSH: Are you pretty satisfied with the current release are do you have upcoming features soon (or in the future)?
    STEFAN: Actually, I'd love to add new features to it. Because of iOS 5, I'll first have to wait what the new iOS brings in terms of changes in the frameworks. Also, I'm waiting to see if any components of Mail Enhancer become obsolete in iOS 5. Additionally, I'm studying law which leaves me little time to work on other things, but I will do my best. From what I've seen of iOS 5 so far, there is still much Apple did not think of (maybe intentionally left out, to have stuff for major releases in the future (marketing again)).

JOSH: Are you working on any other projects or tweaks/applications? Can you speak about them (if applicable)?
    STEFAN: The above being said, I have no time to work on other projects. I'll focus all the time I've got on Mail Enhancer.

Follow Stefan (@stm_dev) on Twitter for more information about Mail Enhancer and possibly other projects he may start in the future.

Source(s): Stefan Mollenkamp (@stm_dev)
    Last edited by Joshua Tucker; 06-22-2011 at 12:32 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

I hope he fixed all of the bugs this time. Have had nothing but issues with this tweak since the 2.0 update....

And he didn't! If you are a loyal customer since the release of this tweak all of your signatures will be deleted and you will have to start over from scratch. Even after inputting new signatures they will not work.
    Last edited by Melech518; 06-22-2011 at 01:06 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    I hope he fixed all of the bugs this time. Have had nothing but issues with this tweak since the 2.0 update....
    He definitely fixed a ton of bugs so hopefully the issues are solved. Nonetheless, he is working hard to get this 100% solid.

Thanks

Looks good

Thanks

Josh, buddy, I'm liking you more and more every day man. You're the anti-Messany that ModMyI needed.. something even I considered contributing to since the site's content was becoming worse and ridiculous no-content rumormills like Messany were filling the front page.

Thank you for doing what you're doing, and keep up the excellent work. Developer interviews and continual articles about the latest tweaks.. couldn't ask for more.

Now if we can just get this god awful theme to go away.. bring back the old MMi!
    Anybody want a 32GB Mint Condition Black JB Unlocked 3GS? PM me with offers.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thumbs up Perfectly said.....
    Quote Originally Posted by reanimationxp View Post
    Josh, buddy, I'm liking you more and more every day man. You're the anti-Messany that ModMyI needed.. something even I considered contributing to since the site's content was becoming worse and ridiculous no-content rumormills like Messany were filling the front page.

Thank you for doing what you're doing, and keep up the excellent work. Developer interviews and continual articles about the latest tweaks.. couldn't ask for more.

Now if we can just get this god awful theme to go away.. bring back the old MMi!

Thanks for your hard work!!!...MMI was almost becoming obsolete...until you and a few new comers appeared..!!

The Jack White of Photoshop Hosko817's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 412 Posts

That would mean that $4.99 is a bit much for this tweek

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hosko817 View Post
    That would mean that $4.99 is a bit much for this tweek
    No not at all, it is well worth the money. You have to think about it from an implementation standpoint. This application has a ton of features that are non-native the stock iOS. He has put a lot of work in and the application is extremely useful.

Thanks my friend, I appreciate the encouragement. I try my best and I'm glad what I do is on of interest to you and others. Just continue to be patient with the website layout and that sort of thing; they are doing all they can to get everything 100% running. I can guarantee when everything is squared away, the new features will blow the other MMI out of the water.

Quote Originally Posted by mrumail View Post
    Thanks for your hard work!!!...MMI was almost becoming obsolete...until you and a few new comers appeared..!!
    I will continue to do my best, thanks friend! I'm glad to have you back on MMI! And of course, share with anyone who is interested in what ModMyi has to offer.
    Last edited by Joshua Tucker; 06-22-2011 at 11:07 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone redwolf's Avatar
    Thanks

setting menus is freaking slow on my iPhone 4....
    good tweak though

Thanks

Nice review. Hopefully the bugs are worked out. Is there any chance of adding a "daily" time to the quiet times so we can have it quiet every night between x and x hours?
    Thanks!

Thanks

Thanks my friend, I appreciate the encouragement. I try my best and I'm glad what I do is on of interest to you and others. Just continue to be patient with the website layout and that sort of thing; they are doing all they can to get everything 100% running. I can guarantee when everything is squared away, the new features will blow the other MMI out of the water.
    I certainly hope so If you could tell Kyle and the powers that be that we'd really love a dark theme, that'd be amazing. Something like Fallout New Vegas Nexus - New Vegas mods and community would be outstanding for those of us that despise this bright white theme

At least the old one was mostly blue, and readable..
    Anybody want a 32GB Mint Condition Black JB Unlocked 3GS? PM me with offers.

Thanks

Something like Fallout New Vegas Nexus - New Vegas mods and community would be outstanding for those of us that despise this bright white theme

At least the old one was mostly blue, and readable..
    I'll see what I can do.