+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Android Market Share On The Decline

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Now that the iPhone 4 is available on both Verizon and AT&T, the increase in the amount of exposure to cellular users was indefinite. However, this proposition has taken a
    Thanks

Default Android Market Share On The Decline

Now that the iPhone 4 is available on both Verizon and AT&T, the increase in the amount of exposure to cellular users was indefinite. However, this proposition has taken a much larger toll, especially on Android.

A chart send from Needham & Co.'s Charlie Wolf to clients shows a major increase in the market share of the iPhone in the United States after Verizon took it up. On the flip side, Android lost some coverage in its first ever sequential decline in any region of the world. In the period that the iPhone was taken onto Verizon, Apple's iPhone market share went up 12.3 percentage points to 29.5%. Android dropped from 52.4% to 49.5%. Although not a huge drop, Fortune believes that this decline is significant:

"In our opinion, this is just the beginning of Android's share loss in the U.S.," Wolf writes. "The migration of subscribers to the iPhone on the Verizon network should accelerate this fall when Apple coordinates the launch of iPhone 5 on the GSM and CDMA networks. The iPhone could also launch on the Sprint and T-Mobile networks."
    A key aspect to note is the fact that the iPhone is expected to release on two more networks this year. This puts Apple at a more level playing field in terms of market exposure. Also with the iPhone 5 coming out soon, the new features that it has to offer may sway indecisive users to switch to the iOS platform versus Android.

Source(s): Fortune
    Last edited by Joshua Tucker; 06-21-2011 at 09:37 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

hahaha
    Do not know the point of this post.
    First significant drop for the Android and its news, but look at all those iOS drop and nobody mentions it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    hahaha
    First significant drop for the Android and its news, but look at all those iOS drop and nobody mentions it.
    You even made it a point to explicitly state the point of the article in your response. "First." is the key word. That makes it news. It is the first sequential drop in Android's history.

iPhone? More like MyPhone johnr9412's Avatar
    Thanks

Lulz at blackberry

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Tucker View Post
    You even made it a point to explicitly state the point of the article in your response. "First." is the key word. That makes it news. It is the first sequential drop in Android's history.
    +1

Thanks

I still find it hard to understand how Android has suck a big market share, I only know 2-3 people with Androids but i know dozens with iPhones and Blackberries

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Tucker View Post
    I guess that is true.
    50% market saturation is amazing and that is after the significant drop in market share...
    I guess it is time for Android to do an update to their OS to regain their grounds.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    I still find it hard to understand how Android has suck a big market share, I only know 2-3 people with Androids but i know dozens with iPhones and Blackberries
    android is such a jump in innovation that apple is starting to take ideas from it. personally I enjoy my incredible more than the iphone. I love the ability to get apps that are not censored by an overbearing company pushing its agenda through its app store policies. every iphone owner I come across, all I have to show them is the voice to text ability built into the keyboard and they are ready to switch over. and the honycomb widgets are amazing.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by siacotos View Post
    android is such a jump in innovation that apple is starting to take ideas from it. personally I enjoy my incredible more than the iphone. I love the ability to get apps that are not censored by an overbearing company pushing its agenda through its app store policies. every iphone owner I come across, all I have to show them is the voice to text ability built into the keyboard and they are ready to switch over. and the honycomb widgets are amazing.
    There isn't much left Google can take from Apple idea-wise. That's why all these new Android features and form factors continue at a rapid pace. However, Apple doesn't mind taking everyone else's ideas to catch up. They add a thing or two each time, and then everyone raves about it. The reason this works for Apple is because almost everyone is nailed down to the iTunes carpet...natural progression.

That graph also shows rises and falls for the iPhone as well, which seem like greater falls than the first blip of an Android decline.

Thanks

I agree with whereswaldo. This surprises me so much. I know so many people who have iPhones and so many businesses that give their employees iPhones. I don't see how it spiked so high?

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    hahaha
    I dont trust any information that comes from ModmyI. this site used to be a good site but the past few months have seem to dedicated to misinformation, falsifying stories and re-writing articles to make Apple/iOS look good.

A month or so ago, there were stories about Android's market share being 36%, Apple at 26% and RIM at 25.7% but those statistics were changed when I read about it on this site.

In addition, most analysts say that Microsoft will surpass Apple in market share by 2015 bumping apple down to 3rd place.

So how does all this suddenly change within' the last 30 days?

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    maybe you live in a small sh!ty town.

Quote Originally Posted by siacotos View Post
    I still have my iphone 4 but I also got the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 I havent found an Android phone yet (the LG G2X was a contender) that I like more than the "LOOKS" (not functionality) of the iphone 4.
    Last edited by jOnGarrett; 06-21-2011 at 04:51 PM.

Thanks

I know lots of people with Android phones. They make a vast array of cheap devices. I know of very few people that would have Android over iOS if prices were equal - but a colleague could upgrade to an iPhone 4 for 200 or an HTC Desire S for free - The iPhone is better than the Desire S but is it 200 better?
    The iPhone 4 is the best device available IMHO - but is it worth the extra? For lots of people, no.
    One quarter drop in Android share is news - but not necessarily any indication. Time will tell.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

iPhone? More like MyPhone itsjustlenny's Avatar
    Thanks

I still don't understand this comparrison of iPhone vs android as a smartphone. It's like saying hey let's compare how many ppl buy oranges vs every other fruit that grows on trees. You just can't.

And this chart is a comparrison between smartphones. Android is NOT a smartphone it's an OS.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by itsjustlenny View Post
    I still don't understand this comparrison of iPhone vs android as a smartphone. It's like saying hey let's compare how many ppl buy oranges vs every other fruit that grows on trees. You just can't.

And this chart is a comparrison between smartphones. Android is NOT a smartphone it's an OS.
    That is a good point, the only thing i can think of is Android is the only other OS on most smartphones. And the only other OS that is giving Apple a run for its money...