+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Tiered Data Plans Coming to Verizon July 7th

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
An recent article from Droid-Life states that Verizon is planning on releasing their tiered data plans for customers July 7th of this year. Owners of the DROID Charge, HTC Thunderbolt,
    Thanks

Default Tiered Data Plans Coming to Verizon July 7th

An recent article from Droid-Life states that Verizon is planning on releasing their tiered data plans for customers July 7th of this year. Owners of the DROID Charge, HTC Thunderbolt, and LG Revolution have had a free 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot offer for the last few months and it is scheduled to end July 6th. This led to speculation on the data plan changes even before Verizon VPs sent a confirmation letter to Verizon employees pre-launch says Droid Life.

The data plan tiers have been found as follows:

• 2GB - $30/month
    • 5G - $50/month
    • 10GB - $80/month

If you decide to purchase a tethering plan, it will be an additional $20/month with 2GB of data:

• 4GB - $50/month
    • 7GB - $70/month
    • 12GB - $100/month

Anytime you go over your monthly limit, it will be an additional $10 per gigabyte. Tablet data plans will go from 1GB at $20 per month to 2GB for $30 per month.

For those of you that are currently under contract, this will not be an immediate change. This should only apply to new customers or even a few exceptions says Droid Life:

We have even heard mention of current customers being allowed to upgrade to a new device after July 7 though, and continue to keep their unlimited data, but are awaiting further clarification on that.
    The tiered plans will apply both to 3G and 4G phones and there is no information that states or contradicts otherwise.

For comparison purposes, here's what AT&T has to over:

• 200MB - $15/month
    • 2GB - $25/month
    • 4GB - $45/month

Source(s): Droid Life
    Last edited by Joshua Tucker; 06-20-2011 at 06:05 PM.

Thanks

Switched just in time.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Maybe this will shut up all the Verizon fanboiz that swear by Verizons unlimited vs. ATT.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    And it begins ..... I feel kinda weird knowing I'm in the endangered species list :-/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,663 Times in 808 Posts

10gb for 80 dollars a month? geezus!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DevouredDreams View Post
    10gb for 80 dollars a month? geezus!!!
    I'm surprised it took 'em this long. I was expecting to see this no later than June 1.

Thirty dollars as the entry-level for 2GB is going to kill 'em though, as AT&T offers both a lower priced entry-level /and/ the same amount of data for less. Seems like an unusual misstep for VZW...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

DevouredDreams (06-20-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,663 Times in 808 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I'm surprised it took 'em this long. I was expecting to see this no later than June 1.

Thirty dollars as the entry-level for 2GB is going to kill 'em though, as AT&T offers both a lower priced entry-level /and/ the same amount of data for less. Seems like an unusual misstep for VZW...
    agreed. this is why im glad to have my grandfathered unlimited data still with att. i feel bad for the people who get stuck with this overpriced internet.

Green Apple
    Thanks

lol... where u at now Verizon fan boyz... im glad im still on my at&t unlimited plan...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Paying for tethering should be illegal!
    Where are politicians and lobbyists when you need them!

Thanks

Hmmmmm. Been thinking about switching to Verizon. Guess now would be the time. I'll think it over the next few days....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buttrr76 View Post
    lol... where u at now Verizon fan boyz... im glad im still on my at&t unlimited plan...
    I'm right here baby! Im still Verizon unlimited data. Oh yeah better coverage and no dropped calls! ;D

As an ex tmobile(loved em) and AT&T(hated em) customer, the way I see it
    Maybe if and after AT&T aquires tmobile and has upgraded their coverage and improved their extremely poor customer service will you have something to brag about. (in my eyes)

The only thing that peeved me about Verizon is we never got the 4.3 updates. Which I'm sure wasn't Verizon's fault. But just saying.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Getting kickbacks from AT&T and Verizon.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Will users on month to month plans be able to keep their unlimited and be grandfathered along with those on contract?

Thanks

Wait...I HAVE AN APP FOR THIS. IT'S CALLED-->PDA NET..LMAO@ ALL THESE "SUKA'S" WHOM R GOING TO PAY FOR THIS..LMAO

iPhone? More like MyPhone ccoltmanm's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AKCHRIS View Post
    Wait...I HAVE AN APP FOR THIS. IT'S CALLED-->PDA NET..LMAO@ ALL THESE "SUKA'S" WHOM R GOING TO PAY FOR THIS..LMAO
    ATT is stopping that for free, i just got a letter.

Verizon will start.

Does this apply to iPhones?

Thanks

Everyone knew this was coming, Verizon, ATT they have everyone by the balls! Our smartphones live off data, and were going to see prices go higher and higher. I have unlimited with ATT, but I'm pretty sure upgrading to 4G in the future will require you to abandon your unlimited 3G. Unlimited data is going to be a distant memory soon

iPhone? More like MyPhone Doran's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nickaroni22 View Post
    Everyone knew this was coming, Verizon, ATT they have everyone by the balls! Our smartphones live off data, and were going to see prices go higher and higher. I have unlimited with ATT, but I'm pretty sure upgrading to 4G in the future will require you to abandon your unlimited 3G. Unlimited data is going to be a distant memory soon
    That is so true.... AT&T already took my unlimited plan from me.... I now pay $15 more a month for far less service.... I have never been a fan of AT&T, but now I really don't like them at all..... My family plan is going to Sprint soon..... I don't like Verizon either....

Quote Originally Posted by AKCHRIS View Post
    It's just a matter of time before AT&T changes your plan.....
    Last edited by Doran; 06-21-2011 at 04:38 AM.

Thanks

Why do you think prices will go higher and higher? I tell you what, I get TONS more service, minutes, data, whatever now for a lower price than what I was getting 10 years ago. The price of technology always drops as new technology comes out.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I have had verizon for more than 10 years...I better keep unlimited data for the thousands and thousands of dollars they have received from me. I would certainly hate to jump ship.

Thanks

Hopefully everyone realizes that it will only be a matter of time that all networks will must likely put tiered data plans? You can switch around all you want however that doesn't change the fact that it is a better marketing strategy and business model to sell packages versus one package does all.