+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbreak Tweak Delivers Visual Voicemail Through YouMail

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Thanks to an outstanding new jailbreak tweak from SaurikIT written by Dustin Howett, non-official iPhone users (like those of us on T-Mobile) now have an opportunity to enjoy visual voicemail.
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Jailbreak Tweak Delivers Visual Voicemail Through YouMail

Thanks to an outstanding new jailbreak tweak from SaurikIT written by Dustin Howett, non-official iPhone users (like those of us on T-Mobile) now have an opportunity to enjoy visual voicemail. Essentially, the tweak delivers a YouMail option in your iPhone to give you visual voicemail built into the phone app.

Until now, as we know, only the legit carriers had visual voicemail. These days, however, the JB community is expanding the access of this sweet feature. The most noteworthy new bells and whistles, naturally, are the new settings to your voicemail. After you install the tweak, simply go to where your voicemail icon is located (it will now say "YouMail"). From there, you'll need to register (if you haven't already), which is free to do.

Once you're signed up, all your missed calls will be forwarded to YouMail. From there, you can create personalized, automatic greetings for specific callers. Or, if you're so inclined, you can select from several professional premade greetings to wow your callers with. Additionally, you can now forward a voicemail that you find of great interest to anyone on your contact list who you suspect will derive equal amusement from the message.

All told, it's an awesome tweak that delivers a must-have functionality to your jailbroken iPhone. A nice tip of the hat to SaurikIT and Mr. Howett is, indeed, well deserved for this tweak, which is available now only in Cydia. Go grab it!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ah i have been waiting for this for so long, too bad its only for the US.

Only Vodafone supports visual voicemail in Australia.

Awesome tweak!

iPhone? More like MyPhone cafini8ted's Avatar
    Thanks

This Tweak works great - As a note - I use the Micro-Cell in my apartment - I had to go out, and disconnect from the Micor-Cell - in order to activate YouMail - But once off the Micro-Cell -everything worked like a charm

What's Jailbreak? connor.canty2's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah. It's awesome. I got it the day it came out, because I just happened to be in Cydia and check what had been added. My favorite feature is the smart greetings. You don't even have to upload your contacts to your account for them to work, it recognizes it from the phone. When you miss a call with the default smart greeting, it greets them by name. So cool! Thanks for letting other know about this awesome tweak. I use it for that reason, even though I'm a legit AT&T customer.

Green Apple
    Thanks

This rocks, I love it!

I love this app but can someone please tell me why its not greeting my callers with their name or my name. i have changed it on the website but nope nothing ? . and then its not giving me notification whenever i get a new voice mail can somebody please help me out here

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wil_89 View Post
    Ah i have been waiting for this for so long, too bad its only for the US.

Only Vodafone supports visual voicemail in Australia.

Awesome tweak!

I must be missing something!

I've had youmail and visual voicemail on my iPhone with a local carrier for well over a year now. The youmail app has been available in the app store for the past two years, maybe more, along with visual voicemail. So I don't get it, what does this tweak do?

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I love this app but can someone please tell me why its not greeting my callers with their name or my name. i have changed it on the website but nope nothing ? . and then its not giving me notification whenever i get a new voice mail can somebody please help me out here
    I believe the smart GreeTing only works with other youmail subscribers

Quote Originally Posted by Spiru View Post
    This rocks, I love it!
    Ok, so nOw I see the tweak just replaces the voicemail tab with the youmail tab. But this service has been available for years
    Last edited by Effenpig!; 06-20-2011 at 11:19 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Effenpig! View Post
    I must be missing something!

I've had youmail and visual voicemail on my iPhone with a local carrier for well over a year now. The youmail app has been available in the app store for the past two years, maybe more, along with visual voicemail. So I don't get it, what does this tweak do?
    You've had stock Visual Voicemail with a non-supported carrier? I'd like to know how you swung that. And which carrier is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Effenpig! View Post
    I believe the smart GreeTing only works with other youmail subscribers
    Wrong, it works with anyone but if you do not upload your contacts then it must be able to pick up regular caller id info from the phone number like a landline would. Also if your name and/or your callers name isn't in the "smart" database, it's not going to try to guess how to pronounce it. You can get names added if you'd like (I think it costs $5 per name)

Thanks

I had this for about a week....do you think its safe to upload my contacts? I'm always afraid to do that.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I am a little confused. I have had thi app from the appstore for months now. Is this tweak just to put the button on your phone?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

can someone tell me the advantages or disadvantages to this? I currently use google voicen and have been on tmobile since the iphone1.

Livin the iPhone Life billchase2's Avatar
    Thanks

Fantastic! I've been using HulloMail but this is way better. Thanks!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

is it redundant to download this is if you already use google voice?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

It's about time. That other service that was promising a commercial VVM service for JBers was supposedly still in development a year ago (I emailed them) but it was going to cost too much.

Thanks

Like I said, I've had youmail and visual voicemail through youmail on my iphone for well over a year now. I don't know any other way to make it any clearer. The article makes it sound like this is all new and available because of this tweak but it has been available for a long time. I believe the onlt thing the tweak does is to make your voicemail button say "youmail". I just put the number for youmail in my voicemail settings, its worked fine

Quote Originally Posted by anmiller07 View Post
    You've had stock Visual Voicemail with a non-supported carrier? I'd like to know how you swung that. And which carrier is it?

Wrong, it works with anyone but if you do not upload your contacts then it must be able to pick up regular caller id info from the phone number like a landline would. Also if your name and/or your callers name isn't in the "smart" database, it's not going to try to guess how to pronounce it. You can get names added if you'd like (I think it costs $5 per name)
    Hmmmm k

Quote Originally Posted by armyjoe98 View Post
    I am a little confused. I have had thi app from the appstore for months now. Is this tweak just to put the button on your phone?
    I think that is all it is. I've had the service for a long time too
    Last edited by Effenpig!; 06-21-2011 at 02:47 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

What does this do that Google Voice doesn't already? You can have GV answer other numbers not just the GV number itself so what am I missing here?