+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: FDA Clears The Way for iOS Blood Pressure Monitor

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 558 Posts

Default FDA Clears The Way for iOS Blood Pressure Monitor

One again illustrating the seemingly inextricable link between the burgeoning mHealth (mobile health) industry and Apple's iDevices, this week a company named Withings (a French start-up that concentrates on designing, developing, and industrializing connected devices) announced that the FDA has cleared the way for it's iOS blood pressure monitor. And the product has begun shipping to various retail outlets in the US.

Based on the language presented in FDA’s formal clearance, “The Withings Blood Pressure Monitor... is a noninvasive blood pressure measurement [system] intended to measure the systolic and diastolic blood pressures and pulse rate of an adult individual, over age 18, at home by using a non-invasive technique in which an inflatable cuff is wrapped around the upper arm."

Demonstrated earlier this year at the Consumer Electronics Show, this mobile BP monitor ($129.99) requires three AAA batteries and works like a charm with your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch. Testing is accomplished via a free iOS app, which provides blood pressure reading results approximately thirty seconds after the test is initiated.
    With more than 25% of the world’s population affected by hypertension, Withings has combined advanced technology and sophisticated design to create a medical device that is visually attractive, accurate and easy to use at home, in a professional setting or on the go. Cédric Hutchings, Withings co-founder says, “Apple has revolutionized the smartphone and tablet market with both its design and functionality. We have strived to extend this revolution into the field of health and fitness by integrating our products to work seamlessly with Apple iOS devices.”
    According to the manufacturer, the BP readings are logged as well as timestamped for record-keeping purposes. The readouts can even be emailed or printed out for a physician to track your progress or general BP activity. The app can also be synced to health monitoring services, including up and coming platforms like Microsoft HealthVault and Google Health.

Source: Withings

Gainesville, FL (The Swamp, only Gators get out ALIVE!!)
    Thanks

hmmmmmmm i wonder if my school will let me use this on ward rounds......

Thanks

seems like a lot of money to spend on something that still requires an iDevice, batteries and downloadable software to use.. I can buy a full BP monitor from walgreens for 1/4th the price. Sure it wont be as pretty, but it will show all the same info this one will.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Maybe some one can make a de fib unit too....then we don't need to see a GP anymore...."TOP HEADLINE TODAY... Mr smith arrives at horrific crash site and revives unconscious with iPhone..."

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    ha ha ha greatpost robzz

Green Apple
    Thanks
    $129.99
    Whatever happened to just using the old fashioned analog pumps? Are people really this lazy now?

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'd buy it.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

uhh no reason for it not being approved because of the addition of iPhone/iPod.
    All the data gathering is done by the equipment itself, only thing it needs from iPhone/iPod is probably power and possibly interpret the data collected and sending the data.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

This looks rather interesting.... if you have to take your blood pressure a few times a day like me I find this neat! I don't like the price however I just might buy it.