+ Reply
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Apple and Samsung Executives Plan Meeting to Discuss Patent Suit

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Over the last couple of weeks, there has been a ton of buzz as Apple and Samsung continue to battle over their patent suits. It has been mutual at this
...
  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Joshua Tucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    708
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked 107 Times in 55 Posts

    Default Apple and Samsung Executives Plan Meeting to Discuss Patent Suit


    Over the last couple of weeks, there has been a ton of buzz as Apple and Samsung continue to battle over their patent suits. It has been mutual at this point as Apple first struck against Samsung's mobile interface and phone design.

    Last month, the judge granted Apple access to view Samsung's unreleased tablet and smartphone designs that were accused of infringement. Little information about the nature of those devices are known.

    Samsung retaliated however while later with a demand to see the iPhone 4S/5 and iPad 3 design.

    It is unclear on the progress of this suit however seemingly progress is being made. A recent report from AppleInsider shows evidence that top level executives from both Apple and Samsung are discussing the patent suit outside of court as the case was revealed on Friday.



    What is most ironic however is that Samsung claims that Apple copied their mobile design and interface. It is a well known fact that Apple's iPhone release in the beginning was the first of its kind. It set the trend and a completely new interface design. If anything, it would appear that Samsung took Apple's interface and tweaked it enough early on to escape copyright infringement. The masquerade can only last so long so stay tuned for the continuation of this case.

    Source(s): AppleInsider

  2. #2
    Peanut Brain confucious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Woking
    Posts
    10,240
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 899 Times in 816 Posts

    It will be settled out of court. The lawyers will make a lot of money and one company will pay the other vast amounts of money and nothing will change.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

  3. #3
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    48
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    I like Samsung, but that interface is waaaay too similar. "We'll move these page dots to the top and it'll be okay."

  4. #4
    MMi Staff Writer Joshua Tucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    708
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked 107 Times in 55 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    It will be settled out of court. The lawyers will make a lot of money and one company will pay the other vast amounts of money and nothing will change.
    Here's the thing though. Settled arguments between individuals for example generally have a mediator to make things more smooth. For large corporations, the courts are their mediator. The only way that corporations can truly solve disputes, disagreements, concerns, or any conflict of anytime is in court. That's way companies, such as Apple, are always in court.

    For example, the whole AT&T / T-Mobile situation. Sprint sued AT&T over the issue although nothing was truly against the law. The court is used as a medium for conveying Sprint's opposition to the merge. It's like taddle-tailing "Well, because they want to merge they must be up to something bad." Kind of a backwards philosophy on the use of court then most likely the average citizen.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bklyn NY !!
    Posts
    913
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 62 Times in 51 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by GTRagnarok View Post
    I like Samsung, but that interface is waaaay too similar. "We'll move these page dots to the top and it'll be okay."
    Is it really too similar or is it Samsung's improvement over their F700? Cause I could easily argue that it was Apple who copied Samsung and NOT the other way around.

    As for the tablets., there is no way in hell in objectionable person can say that the Samsung Galaxy Tab/Galaxy Tab 10.1 looks like the Apple ipad/ipad2 !!

    The only thing that I can say in Apple's defense is that the connector on the bottom of my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 does look exactly like the connector on the bottom of my iPhone 4.

    As for copying, I wanna know why Apple fan sites fail to mention the following facts whenever this argument of copying comes up.

    1. Netgear made the iPhone starting back in 1998, Apple comes along in 2007 and wants to sell what?.....an iPhone !! they even took Netgear to court over the name.

    2. The Samsung F700 was first mentioned at CEBIT in 2006 but it wasnít actually shown until February 2007. the iPhone was first shown at Macworld in January 2007 and didnít go on sale until the end of June 2007.

    3. LG was the first company to sell a phone with a capacitive touchscreen, NOT apple. AND if you look at LG's Prada phone (late summer 2006), its the iPhone that again looks like the copy.

    Im not even going to get into Microsoft's tablet that apple copied or the "iPxx" name apple copied from the Compaq iPaq of 1999 !!!

  6. #6
    Peanut Brain confucious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Woking
    Posts
    10,240
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 899 Times in 816 Posts

    Your point 2 sums it up. Although Samsung had 'mentioned' the F700 they never actually showed it until after they had redesigned the interface to copy the iPhone's which was shown a month before the F700

    If you've ever seen one of Microsoft's tablets you will realise why tablet computing never took off and people were highly sceptical of the iPad before it was released.

    Apple did use netgear's iPhone name - but only because no one had ever heard of net gear's iPhone.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

  7. #7
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    24
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    It will be settled out of court. The lawyers will make a lot of money and one company will pay the other vast amounts of money and nothing will change.
    Thanks for dezcribing to us the legal system... Definitely something we were all unaware of concerning lawsuits

  8. #8
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    163
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post

    As for copying, I wanna know why Apple fan sites fail to mention the following facts whenever this argument of copying comes up.

    1. Netgear made the iPhone starting back in 1998, Apple comes along in 2007 and wants to sell what?.....an iPhone !! they even took Netgear to court over the name.

    2. The Samsung F700 was first mentioned at CEBIT in 2006 but it wasnít actually shown until February 2007. the iPhone was first shown at Macworld in January 2007 and didnít go on sale until the end of June 2007.

    3. LG was the first company to sell a phone with a capacitive touchscreen, NOT apple. AND if you look at LG's Prada phone (late summer 2006), its the iPhone that again looks like the copy.

    Im not even going to get into Microsoft's tablet that apple copied or the "iPxx" name apple copied from the Compaq iPaq of 1999 !!!
    I suspect that none of this matters when it comes to what people enjoy using or deem to be useful. The fact is that Apple has captured the market like nobody else has, so they must have done something differently.

  9. #9
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    70
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Your point 2 sums it up. Although Samsung had 'mentioned' the F700 they never actually showed it until after they had redesigned the interface to copy the iPhone's which was shown a month before the F700

    If you've ever seen one of Microsoft's tablets you will realise why tablet computing never took off and people were highly sceptical of the iPad before it was released.

    Apple did use netgear's iPhone name - but only because no one had ever heard of net gear's iPhone.
    Sorry, but there is no way to redesign a UI in a month.

  10. #10
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    84
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by alien mars18 View Post
    Sorry, but there is no way to redesign a UI in a month.
    Actually it wouldn't be possible, your right. If I wanted to I couldn't design a Complete iPhone theme in a week, but if I took somebody's and tweaked it so it almost looked like theirs. Although it had a little twist to it so nobody really could accuse me of stealing without any proof.

    What i'm saying is that when the first Apple iPhone came out all Samsung had to do was SSH or whatever. Get the images they wanted. Build a few they wanted to replace in Apple's ios UI and tweak the rest. Then in a few days delete and type in some code in their original UI and wallah all done. Samsung most likely did this or close to it. What always cracks me up is when Apple's competitors always try and beef up their devices with high tech tweaks, but never pays the operating system much attention. Unlike Apple where they put most of their greatest minds into what is now developed into one of the most distinguished operating platform for iDevices and Macs alike.

  11. #11
    My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    526
    Thanks
    213
    Thanked 37 Times in 30 Posts

    idk about anyone else, but I see no massive similarities between the Apple devices and the Samsung devices... I have a Samsung Mesmerize and It looks nothing like any Apple device...

  12. #12
    Peanut Brain confucious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Woking
    Posts
    10,240
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 899 Times in 816 Posts

    Doing a Full theme might take one person longer than a month, but changing one screen for a full team of designers? See iPhone / Samsung F700 / Prada Phone Rumors Debunked - SlashGear
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bklyn NY !!
    Posts
    913
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 62 Times in 51 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Your point 2 sums it up. Although Samsung had 'mentioned' the F700 they never actually showed it until after they had redesigned the interface to copy the iPhone's which was shown a month before the F700

    If you've ever seen one of Microsoft's tablets you will realise why tablet computing never took off and people were highly sceptical of the iPad before it was released.

    Apple did use netgear's iPhone name - but only because no one had ever heard of net gear's iPhone.

    So you're saying that Samsung could completely re-engineer their phone AND retool the equipment needed to manufacture it AND cut a new Die for the boxes to accommodate it, AND get them all in stores around the country all in 30 days or less? and why do you think they did NOT already have that design to begin with? do they not have several different prototypes? of course they do, every manufacturer of anything have several designs of something before a final version is produced.

    take for example the ridiculous argument that Samsung's Galaxy Tab 10.1 copied the iPad 2. in what way? besides the connector on the bottom, EVERY aspect of the Galaxy Tab is VERY different from the iPad 2 yet apple (and her fans) claim that the 10.1 is a copy of the i2 !!

    Jobs and Fanboys say 2011 is the year of the copycats but they have no problem with including Android, RIM, WinPho 7 and even Cydia features into iOS 5.

    as for Netgear's iPhone, are you serious? no one ever heard of it !!! it was selling from 1998 - 2007 !! Netgear is a household name if you've ever done any networking, home or business.

    Quote Originally Posted by domenicp View Post
    I suspect that none of this matters when it comes to what people enjoy using or deem to be useful. The fact is that Apple has captured the market like nobody else has, so they must have done something differently.
    captured the market? like they did with their desktops? the same market that's now 80% Microsoft? or the smartphone market which is now led by Android? and by 2015 according to some analysts, Microsoft will push apple to 3rd place. Apple barely beat RIM with 26% market share compared to 25.7%

    apple did NOT make smartphones popular, only in the US because the rest of the world was using smartphones since the 90's. apple did NOT make mobile computing popular because Microsoft and RIM had been selling to millions since the 90's.

    Id like to think the world is divided into 2 groups of people., those who have always used mobile devices and related technologies and know from actual use what was already available and those who are under a certain age, those who jumped on the apple band wagon.
    Last edited by jOnGarrett; 06-21-2011 at 05:16 PM.

  14. #14
    Peanut Brain confucious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Woking
    Posts
    10,240
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 899 Times in 816 Posts

    Your ignorance and bias shines through.
    That is not what I said at all - please don't try and twist what I said so badly.
    I have used Netgear products for many years - but I had never heard of their 'iPhone'
    Your comments really make very little sense to anyone that has been following what has happened - do you believe what you are saying? Or are you just trying to argue a very warped point of view in the hope that people might actually think you know what you are talking about?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bklyn NY !!
    Posts
    913
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 62 Times in 51 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by alien mars18 View Post
    Sorry, but there is no way to redesign a UI in a month.
    Quote Originally Posted by micaiah12 View Post
    Actually it wouldn't be possible, your right. If I wanted to I couldn't design a Complete iPhone theme in a week, but if I took somebody's and tweaked it so it almost looked like theirs. Although it had a little twist to it so nobody really could accuse me of stealing without any proof.

    What i'm saying is that when the first Apple iPhone came out all Samsung had to do was SSH or whatever. Get the images they wanted. Build a few they wanted to replace in Apple's ios UI and tweak the rest. Then in a few days delete and type in some code in their original UI and wallah all done. Samsung most likely did this or close to it. What always cracks me up is when Apple's competitors always try and beef up their devices with high tech tweaks, but never pays the operating system much attention. Unlike Apple where they put most of their greatest minds into what is now developed into one of the most distinguished operating platform for iDevices and Macs alike.
    that sounds ridiculous and you're not too smart if you think that completely redesigning a phone's hardware and its software, retooling machinery for its packaging materials (this process alone could take months) manufacturing the phone and shipping it nationwide/world wide in 30 days or less is the same as using Photoshop to swipe somebody's theme.

  16. #16
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    163
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    [QUOTE=jOnGarrett;6103124]
    captured the market? like they did with their desktops? the same market that's now 80% Microsoft? or the smartphone market which is now led by Android? and by 2015 according to some analysts, Microsoft will push apple to 3rd place. Apple barely beat RIM with 26% market share compared to 25.7%
    QUOTE]

    The fact is that Apple is an undeniable presence in this market right now. It has done something right, and smart people would do well to learn something from their example. They are not perfect, and nobody is. And yes there is something to be learned from the Android example too.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts