Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: PocketMode: Louder Ring When In Pocket/Purse

Default PocketMode: Louder Ring When In Pocket/Purse

With pockets, purses, bags, and other concealing mechanisms, you can sometimes miss a call or important text because your iPhone is set to vibrate or low volume. This can be annoying especially if you're waiting for an important call or text. Up until PocketMode was released, one would just have to change their habit to ensure that they hear the phone ring. PocketMode alleviates this problem using the iPhones ambient-light sensor to determine whether to ring louder or not.

The ambient light detector senses how dark or light the environment around the iPhone is. PocketMode uses this to its advantage by incorporating it into its functionality. With PocketMode, if your phone is in a dark place, it will ring louder to ensure that you hear the ringtone. This is great for those of us who put our phones into our pockets are purses. Also, this allows us to keep the same volume setting or our phone on vibrate because PocketMode won't alter the ringing volume unless it senses that its in a dark environment. Because the ring volume is determined by the light detection, as soon as you remove your iPhone from the dark place, it will return the ring volume (whether low or muted) to its previous state. You can set the sensitivity of the sensor in regards to PocketMode in the Settings.app tab so this is a convenient plus.

PocketMode also has a On/Off switch for overriding the mute switch. It's handy especially if you want to leave your phone on vibrate for most of the time. Another prominent feature, which I think is extremely crucial, is the Night Mode. One question that comes to mind is "What happens when it's night time; I don't want it to ring really loud because the sensor detects darkness." Night Mode takes care of this by allowing you to set times when you don't want PocketMode to change the ringing volume.

Here's a convenient list of the features in PocketMode:

• Light sensitivity toggle
    • Override mute switch
    • Seconds between volume increase
    • Volume increment
    • Text messages
    • Night mode

To enable PocketMode, just enable it within the Settings.app tab for PocketMode.

Find it on Cydia now for $1.49. It is compatible with firmwares up from 4.0 to 4.3.3 (does not include iOS 5).

Name: PocketMode
    Author: Nick Dawson
    Version: 1.1.2
    Price: $1.49

Courtesy of Nick Dawson (@nidawson), the developer of PocketMode, here's a demonstration video of how PocketMode works:

Follow Nick Dawson (@nidawson) on Twitter for more information about PocketMode and other projects by him.

Source(s): Nick Dawson
    Last edited by Joshua Tucker; 06-17-2011 at 12:54 AM.

what an awesome feature - i hope that apple is taking further note from the jb community as this is the sought of stuff that ios5 should be implementing!

Definitely. That's why I think the jailbreak community will continue to grow despite iOS updates. Apple left out a ton of cool functionalities and features, such as this one.

HTC gives that for free from the factory...

Quote Originally Posted by brab View Post
    HTC gives that for free from the factory...
    I thought I read about a phone with that feature. I should have know it was HTC. Besides an iPhone, HTC phones are the only other phones I would buy. Love the Sense UI.

Staying on topic, I think I will pick this tweak up. I've missed tons of texts and calls because I didn't hear them in my pocket!
    MacBook Pro i7
    Dell XPS

Thanks

This is awesome...can't wait to try it!! Yes we know Android leads the pack when it comes to the menu system at the moment. Hopefully iOS 5 gives Android a run for its $$

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Tucker View Post
    Definitely. That's why I think the jailbreak community will continue to grow despite iOS updates. Apple left out a ton of cool functionalities and features, such as this one.
    Agreed! Note that in a previous MMi article that Apple has hired an iOS hacker....can't wait to see what this will bring
    Last edited by bigboyz; 06-17-2011 at 07:39 AM.

I saw this the other day when I was checking out the Cydia changes. My one question: does it make the ring volume louder than the max possible manual volume? When my phone is on silent, it's on silent for a reason and I wouldn't use pocket mode. When my phone is not on silent I have it turned up as loud as it can be, and sometimes I still can't hear it. If pocket mode makes it ring louder than that then I'll get it...but if it just makes it ring to the loudest setting already installed on the phone then this is useless to me.

Loudness does not increase past "stock" default loudness. That was my hope as well (I teach in a fairly loud classroom, and often can't hear my phone ringing). Got this and, no, what it does is increase the loudness up to full if you have it set lower while in your pocket. Which is fine if you don't want your ring blasting a room when you bring your phone out of your pocket, as it will immediately revert to the lower volume when the light sensor detects, well, light. I have been unable to find a volume booster that works with 4.3.3.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    This is awesome...can't wait to try it!! Yes we know Android leads the pack when it comes to the menu system at the moment. Hopefully iOS 5 gives Android a run for its $$

Agreed! Note that in a previous MMi article that Apple has hired an iOS hacker....can't wait to see what this will bring
    Yep, Peter Hajas. Great guy.

I was hoping this app would go above and beyond the default max volume. For some reason my volume seems low

Thanks
    I remember this feature was on the Android back when the G1 came out on T-Mobile. Instead, the app was free and didn't use the ambient sensors to activate it, but the position the phone was in according to the gyroscope or whatever.

I remember like if your phone was facing up on a table and you got a call and wanted to shut the thing up fast, you would just simply flip it over. They should implement something like that in this app... and make it free! hahaha but the dev needs his props!

Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
    I saw this the other day when I was checking out the Cydia changes. My one question: does it make the ring volume louder than the max possible manual volume? When my phone is on silent, it's on silent for a reason and I wouldn't use pocket mode. When my phone is not on silent I have it turned up as loud as it can be, and sometimes I still can't hear it. If pocket mode makes it ring louder than that then I'll get it...but if it just makes it ring to the loudest setting already installed on the phone then this is useless to me.
    If you notice in the menus you can set it to override mute switch or not. So if you keep the volume low and have it in your pocket, it will ring louder. If you have it on Silent and have it in your pocket, it will stay silent if the Override option is set to Off.

Quote Originally Posted by transam7816 View Post
    I was hoping this app would go above and beyond the default max volume. For some reason my volume seems low
    heh I remember tweaking my old Moto Razr to ring louder and have a louder volume on the earpiece than the factory max volume would allow. Would be nice to be able to do something like that with the iPhone.

"heh I remember tweaking my old Moto Razr to ring louder and have a louder volume on the earpiece than the factory max volume would allow. Would be nice to be able to do something like that with the iPhone."

That's how I got into phone modding. My RAZR had too low a volume, I went searching, discovered I could tweak it. That started what has led to my wife calling my iPhone my "second wife."

Official SaurikIT Support
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Du Blex View Post
    I remember this feature was on the Android back when the G1 came out on T-Mobile. Instead, the app was free and didn't use the ambient sensors to activate it, but the position the phone was in according to the gyroscope or whatever.

I remember like if your phone was facing up on a table and you got a call and wanted to shut the thing up fast, you would just simply flip it over. They should implement something like that in this app... and make it free! hahaha but the dev needs his props!
    There's a different tweak like that - it's called "FlipOver" and it costs $1 (see here for a review).

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I don't understand why they just can't make the iPhone with a "louder" speaker? Is it that hard of a task?

love this app!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by brianiino View Post
    I don't understand why they just can't make the iPhone with a "louder" speaker? Is it that hard of a task?
    Couldn't agree more, while they are at it add another speaker. Any device that is marketed as a multimedia device should have stereo speakers.

Those of you that was modding the razr to increase the volume, I enjoyed doing that with my E398 (rokr E1) that thing would bounce across the table when it rang.
    If I can't mod it...I don't want it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    Couldn't agree more, while they are at it add another speaker. Any device that is marketed as a multimedia device should have stereo speakers.

Those of you that was modding the razr to increase the volume, I enjoyed doing that with my E398 (rokr E1) that thing would bounce across the table when it rang.
    Seriously... If they had better speakers we wouldn't have to worry about hacking our way to hear it better, yet making stupid iPod docks and such. But I guess its some kind of a gimmick to get us to buy more SH*T!