View Poll Results: Do you turn off your cell phone/electronics in-flight?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never

3 18.75%
  • When I'm asked

5 31.25%
  • Before I'm asked

6 37.50%
  • Angry Birds is way too important

2 12.50%
+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Poll: Do You Turn Off Your Phone While Flying?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Annoying thing 3,401 about flying: being asked to turn off your cell phone. I know I've scoffed to myself at the notion of turning off my cell phone more than
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Poll: Do You Turn Off Your Phone While Flying?

Annoying thing 3,401 about flying: being asked to turn off your cell phone.

I know I've scoffed to myself at the notion of turning off my cell phone more than once. How could my tiny insignificant piece of hardware possibly have a catastrophic effect on such a large and complex piece of aeronautical machinery?

A recent study by the International Air Transport Association makes the argument it might be worth missing those last few text messages before departing. The IATA is a trade group representing more than 230 passenger and cargo airlines world wide and based the report on survey responses from 125 airlines between 2003 and 2009. The report documents 75 separate incidents of possible electronic interferences during the time frame of the report. However, there is no way to verify if the electronic disturbances were the directly caused by cell phones and electronic devices on the plain, a point stressed in the report.

However, the anecdotal evidence provided by sampling pilots' and crew members' narratives, found that 40% of incidents, where electronic interference was experienced, cell phones were the suspected culprit.

The incidents recorded affects flight controls including autopilot functions, autothrust and landing gear, navigation systems, and communication systems. Electronic warnings and engine indications were also experienced.

While the report does not verify that these occurrences were cause by person electronic device interference, some of the coincidences are hard to dismiss. Probably the most notable example was during a flight the altitude control readings were changing rapidly until a crew member asked passengers to turn off their electronic devices. The readings subsequently returned to normal, but after another hour started acting up again. At that a point a flight attendent made a second announcement and the readings immediately returned to normal again.

The report notes that older, low flying air craft are more easily affected by PEDs. Newer aircraft are well shielded from the influence of unwanted interference. David Carson of Boeing however did demonstrate in Boeing's testing facilities just how much PEDs can affect on board electronics. Signals from both a Blackberry and an iPhone were over the designated limit, but the iPad was crowned the worst offender.

Still it's not proof that these devices are interfering with on board electronics. With over 32,000 flights a day flying over the U.S. these make up a fraction of a fraction of a percent of flights. Still, its reason to think twice about not turning off your phone while boarding a plane.

Source: ABC News
    Last edited by Phillip Swanson; 06-11-2011 at 01:20 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,357 Times in 1,074 Posts

i have never turned it off if it wasn't mentioned

Thanks

I have been using my iPad during flights all the time even during when the flight attendants were asking us all to turn our devices off... None of them ever stopped me from using my iPad... Even if mobile phones can disrupt onboard electronics, then why aren't airline manufacturers doing anything about it even if they know the dangers of using PEDs during flight?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I was so pissed one time, b/c I had to turn off my iPad and it was tethered... Didn't get to use my iPad one time on my trip to and from my destination!!

Brr
    Thanks

I've always thought, "all the terrorists have to do is get on a plane and turn on their phones and Nintendos to bring it down" LOL!

Green Apple
    Thanks

I turn mine on and off during the flight. When I know I'm flying over a town/city i will turn it on to get a signal so I can send a text then turn it back off, or rather i put it in Airplane mode.

Livin the iPhone Life seann33uk's Avatar
    Thanks

I put it in aeroplane mode but not Off

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Can't you use your PEDs above a certain altitude?

Besides interfering with the plane's electronic systems, the more dangerous problem of using PEDs that utilize wireless technology is the radiation they produce in the enclosed space of the cabin. Because the plane is shielded from external interference, such as cell phone communication towers, all cell phones (and some other PEDs) experience difficulties connecting to these towers and boost their signal output as a response.
    If everyone leaves their cell phones on (even if they are not trying to connect to the internet or a cell tower) they are exposing themselves and others to potentially harmful amounts of radiation, especially if you frequently travel by air.

That for me is the real problem, even though it hardly publicized.

Thanks

If we are suppose to all turn our phones off on a flight, what the hell is airplane mode for??? Anyways I turn mine off. I'm not some self-important a-hole that NEEDS to be connected every single moment of every single day. Plus, why take the chance? Turn of your "look at me, I'm important" device and just relax. Enjoy the flight. Get to know a stranger. Masturbate in the bathroom. I don't know. What ever floats your boat...or flys your plane as it may be.

Thanks

In Europe airlines are very hot on it - most insist the phone is off even if it has an Airplane mode. I always turn mine off.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by seandiego View Post
    If we are suppose to all turn our phones off on a flight, what the hell is airplane mode for??? Anyways I turn mine off. I'm not some self-important a-hole that NEEDS to be connected every single moment of every single day. Plus, why take the chance? Turn of your "look at me, I'm important" device and just relax. Enjoy the flight. Get to know a stranger. Masturbate in the bathroom. I don't know. What ever floats your boat...or flys your plane as it may be.
    Lol gtfo

Thanks

never

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seandiego View Post
    well, i've had my phone on a more then a few flights and was never able to catch any signal after take off. i do fly a few times a year, and always turn the phone off as instructed and turn it back on when allowed (usually after you're at cruising altitude). its not about being self-important, but more for keeping from being bored, that's why we have these devices, playing games and listening to music, best trick i've found is since i always bring my laptop, plug the phone into the laptop so keep the bat from draining while its in sleep more, so it barely drains the battery on the laptop and keeps the phone charged up. That's one of the reasons i hate games that require an internet connection so you can play it :/

also, i know this isn't the best argument, however, mythbusters did "bust" the myth that cell phones effect the electronics on planes. i do think thou they should have had 200-300 phones going at onces, not just a few like they did

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

LOL to the retards that don't know what airplane mode.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hitman10 View Post
    LOL to the retards that don't know what airplane mode.
    Airplane mode only stops outgoing SIGNALS from the device. It does not stop the ELECTROMAGNETIC WAVES that ALL electrical devices send out.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Oh come on guys. We live in the 21st century. It should be obvious by now that turning off your phone = airplane mode unless otherwise specified.

I was actually asked to turn off my phone once because they said that even airplane mode wasn't allowed and I obliged (Reluctantly though) but unless they specifically tell me that I need to actually turn off my phone I'll always put it on airplane mode. Otherwise what is the point of airplane mode in phones? Also I am pretty sure that laptops (Which are allowed in most, if not all flights) give A LOT more electromagnetic signals than my phone/tablet does.

Formerly Known As rpgpromaster EddieLeonard's Avatar
    Thanks

no. i dont, i sue airplane mode

Thanks
    Thanked 1,357 Times in 1,074 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EddieLeonard View Post
    no. i dont, i sue airplane mode
    what did airplane mode ever do to you

Thanks

Where's the poll?..

But no, Airplane Mode only.