View Poll Results: Do you turn off your cell phone/electronics in-flight?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never

3 18.75%
  • When I'm asked

5 31.25%
  • Before I'm asked

6 37.50%
  • Angry Birds is way too important

2 12.50%
+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Poll: Do You Turn Off Your Phone While Flying?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I always just put my devices on airplane mode and lock it til they say we can use them again.
    iPhone? More like MyPhone mastuul's Avatar
    Thanks

I always just put my devices on airplane mode and lock it til they say we can use them again.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 1,075 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mastuul View Post
    Then why not just turn it off?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gamemaster77 View Post
    Well for one I was purposely not trying to comment on whether or not the devices actually interfere, just saying that they do emit waves. Secondly, you said "turning off your phone = airplane mode"; now I know you did not mean that literally but it is still wrong because they do different things, airplane mode only stops signals and turning it off stops everything. Lastly, you did not say "electromagnetic interference", you said "electromagnetic signals", which contradicts itself as saying signal implies that it is some sort of message for a person or other device. I just wasn't sure if you actually knew the difference. Next time just word your post a bit better.
    I'm not sure exactly what you mean by signals and interferences, on a physics point of view they are about the same. When your phone is in airplane mode it stops purposely emitting "signals" also known as electromagnetic radiations. I'm sure it still emits a bit of radiation since there are electric current in it, but at that point what's the difference with an ipod? I think a lot of people use ipods/mp3 players on planes and so far they haven't downed any aircraft!

As mentioned by a couple posters above I think the main risk is if 200+ cell phones are looking for cell signal (which you don't get at 30,000 ft anyway), they will emit full power and the combined interferences can be substantial, and might also have health consequences for travelers (or most likely crew members flying everyday).

It can also be for safety reasons. If everyone is texting during takeoff/landing, which are the riskiest parts of the flight, they might be problems if an emergency occurs.

Anyway, back to the topic, I usually turn my phone on airplane mode before takeoff, and keep it this way until landing. I used wifi on delta once, and it was so slow it took me a good 10 min to send an email, so I think it pretty pointless.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

It's a "plane", not a "plain". We have some of the worst writers on the 'net. *sigh*

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jeffs64 View Post
    I've been asked to turn off my iPhone on all flights. I always say it's on airplane mode and always gets the same answer Please turn it all the way off. I think it's got to do with them worried about someone using it as a remote device to control a bomb or something like that. Who really knows. What the heck. anyway thats my two cents So yes I turn it off. Then become very board.

so they made you turn it off for the WHOLE flight? or just take off and landing.

iPhone? More like MyPhone hapishyguy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brr View Post
    I've always thought, "all the terrorists have to do is get on a plane and turn on their phones and Nintendos to bring it down" LOL!
    I am imagining that. Its so funny!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thomas122 View Post
    I'm not sure exactly what you mean by signals and interferences, on a physics point of view they are about the same. When your phone is in airplane mode it stops purposely emitting "signals" also known as electromagnetic radiations. I'm sure it still emits a bit of radiation since there are electric current in it, but at that point what's the difference with an ipod? I think a lot of people use ipods/mp3 players on planes and so far they haven't downed any aircraft!
    Well a signal is something that is trying to send a message. Whether it be someone flashing an emergency laser light or in this context, a phone trying to communicate with a cell tower or a wifi hotspot. Waves are emitted regardless of if the device is trying to communicate anything. Just not as much as a signal wave with a purpose.

+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123