Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.
06-10-2011, 07:40 AM #1
redsn0w Updated for iOS 5 Jailbreak (Tethered)
A few days earlier, MuscleNerd (@MuscleNerd) tweeted that he was able to run a tethered jailbreak of iOS 5 on his iPod Touch 4 device. With WWDC winding, the iPhone-Dev Team seemed like it would be a perfect time to release a developers version of redsn0w for the iOS 5 beta. MuscleNerd tweeted about 5 hours ago stating:
Last day of WWDC...seems as good time as any to release tethered iOS5 jailbreak (for Mac owners with registered UDIDs)
The following devices are supported:
- iPod touch 3G
- iPod touch 4G
- iPad 1
- iPhone4 (GSM)
- iPhone4 (CDMA)
The team in an article on the iPhone Dev-Team blog specified a few warnings and precautionary actions. Please read carefully.
- Unlockers and those preserving baseband STAY FAR AWAY from this release - this could end badly and possibly lose your unlockable baseband.
- This beta release is intended for developers of jailbroken applications - Due to many of the components being very buggy or broken (Apple's official apps, 3rd-party App Store apps, etc.), it is not necessarily useful for the average user. Take this as you will.
- redsn0w WILL NOT hackivate 5.0b1 - Please do not pirate Apple software. This is available for those who have legitimate UDID activations and access to Apple distributed .ipsw files.
- Tethered jailbreak only - no new exploits have been found or even being discussed. When using redsn0w, you must select "Just boot tethered right now" option when jailbreaking.
- If you have the 06.15 baseband on your iPhone 3GS - this redsn0w release will get you paste the iTunes restore error you'll get when using the stock .ipsw file. For those not on the baseband, STAY AWAY.
This release of redsn0w for Mac is available on the iPhone Dev-Team blog via this link:
Source(s): iPhone Dev-Team, MuscleNerd
Last edited by Joshua Tucker; 06-11-2011 at 05:04 PM.
06-10-2011, 08:26 AM #2
I'm gonna get on iOS 5 now! untethered for me! Old bootrom ftw!
06-10-2011, 08:44 AM #3
Nice. Gotta clean up iDibblr for the 5.0 now as soon as mobilesubstrate gets ported to iOS5
06-10-2011, 08:52 AM #4
Wow... I didn't think they'd do a public release to jailbreak a beta firmware. For anyone who isn't a dev who jailbreaks 5.0b1 you can be assured all of the mobile substrate apps will be broken until the devs push an update.
06-10-2011, 09:04 AM #5
honestly i think they did a public release to keep the bickering at a minimal....
06-10-2011, 09:10 AM #6
06-10-2011, 09:12 AM #7
06-10-2011, 09:29 AM #8
06-10-2011, 09:36 AM #9
06-10-2011, 09:50 AM #10
Wow. I'm impressed. Even if it's a dev release...
But that link is broken for me. No workyiPhone 4S iOS 5.0 Non JB
~OSx Lion 10.7.2 Hackintosh Pro Dual Boot Win7 @ 4.5GHz
Rock River AR-15 5.56mm NATO
~9mm S&W Sigma
We carry iPhones and guns here in Texas
06-10-2011, 09:53 AM #11
06-10-2011, 10:15 AM #12
i don't know if it's just me but when I open it up and try to browse for the firmware it just closes out any one having the same issue or know how to fix this?
06-10-2011, 10:17 AM #13
06-10-2011, 12:09 PM #14
well I unzipped it and then proceeded to open redsn0w and it just closes when I try to browse for firmware
am I doing something wrong here?
06-10-2011, 12:23 PM #15
06-10-2011, 12:41 PM #16
i am on 10.6.7
oh nvm I have fixed it
Last edited by s3ddr1ck23; 06-10-2011 at 12:48 PM.
06-10-2011, 12:51 PM #17
06-10-2011, 01:11 PM #18Link not working
You might want to fix the link you put in your post as it's not a valid one. This is pretty cool going to do over the weekend
06-10-2011, 01:24 PM #19
06-10-2011, 03:58 PM #20
Pwnage will not be available and I'm still trying to work out if Windows iOS 5 is OK - if it is then RS will be released for windows - if it's not I will remove it from my iP4
I am unsure at the moment - as are others. Does anyone know the legality of installing iOS5 on Windows?He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.