+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Developer “Shocked” to Learn His Rejected App Now a Feature of iOS 5

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default Developer “Shocked” to Learn His Rejected App Now a Feature of iOS 5

The jailbreak community routinely develops apps and other iOS enhancements that Apple either can’t or won’t come out with on their own. Sometimes, however, Apple does get inspiration from the jailbreak community and releases new features eerily similar to those first found in the Cydia online store. UK jailbreak developer Greg Hughes has now had a first hand experience with this phenomenon. When Apple unveiled iOS 5 earlier this week at the WWDC, he was quite surprise to find Wi-Fi Sync included as a new feature.

Now you may be thinking that Apple was bound to come out with this feature sooner or later. However, Greg Hughes submitted an app called Wi-Fi Sync to the app store about a year ago. “I'd been selling my app with that name and icon for at least a year. Apple knew that, as I'd submitted it to them, so it was surprising to see that.”

It was quickly rejected because of Apple’s claim that it violated the terms of the iPhone SDK. Apple representative did call him personally, however, to inform him of their decision.

According to Mr. Hughes, "They did say that the iPhone engineering team had looked at it and were impressed. They asked for my CV (resume) as well." Since Wi-Fi Sync’s rejection from the App Store, Greg has sold more than 50,000 copies at $9.99 through the Cydia store.

If you look at the two apps side by side, it’s easy to see why Mr. Hughes was "shocked" when he found out about it. Not only do both apps offer the same features, but the icons are remarkably similar as well.

Would Apple have eventually come out with Wi-Fi Syncing. More than likely. Is this a bitter pill to swallow for the developer who first introduced this feature? Absolutely. I wonder what jailbreak features Apple will be inspired to include with next major iOS update?

Source: Gizmodo

Green Apple
    Thanks

Can he not sue for plagiarism? An idea he came up with and implemented into a paid product is now a free product with the same icon through apple.

Thanks

you win some you lose some to apple

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Why is this a shock? Apple and many others like Microsoft have done this for years, long before the iPhone or even OS X.

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheBeastSS2's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snowdweller View Post
    Can he not sue for plagiarism? An idea he came up with and implemented into a paid product is now a free product with the same icon through apple.
    Yeah good luck with that lawsuit...it IS bs though

Thanks
    Thanked 2,464 Times in 1,119 Posts

same thing I was thinking, that's dirty...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 888 Posts

Not sure how much difference you can make an item like this. I woudln't say palagerism.

I say that because the wifi symbol is a standard symbol already and the arrow circle that Apple has in the image above is their standard for syncing. You see this same circle while syncing mobileme or timemachine, and several other items of thier's. So pretty natural for Apple to just combine the two.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

With apologies to insensitivity here, but does anyone on this planet think for a second that Apple wasn't planning, implementing, and testing WiFi syncing for the past few years?

As for that logo, it wasn't as if he created the twitter fail whale or something original. That is a /standard/ wifi logo encircled by a /standard/ sync logo.

Yeah it sucks that Apple is implementing this, but as Agent Smith says, it was inevitable.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JoeStorm View Post
    As for that logo, it wasn't as if he created the twitter fail whale or something original. That is a /standard/ wifi logo encircled by a /standard/ sync logo.
    Lol, guess we thought about the same exact thing at the same exact time.

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

His app worked like dogshlt on Windows, (meaning it didn't work at all), and offered virtually no support whatsoever, or no warning that it did so despite knowing this very well. It cost me $10 for nothing. Serves him right.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Wow! That sucks big time. He should at least be compensated in some ways.

Green Apple
    Thanks

He could sue. I might win. I personally would take this to court. If he wins hi becomes a millionaire.

Thanks

After hearing the app didn't work well on windows, I'm glad I didn't buy it. Sucks for people who did.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Is this app up now?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

not unless he patented the idea and use of the icon with that app. i'm sure he didn't. as long as they're not stealing people's property, it shouldn't matter. the whole purpose of the jailbreak is to enable things we WANT anyway. if apple puts it in, great! i guess it's just business smh

Thanks

Wifi syncing was not his idea.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

It doesn't matter if apple would have come out with it or not. He has more than enough sales and time between the two and the fact that they are so damn similar, I'd file a suit against apple immediately. **** apple up the cornhole.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by J Sweeney View Post
    He could sue. I might win. I personally would take this to court. If he wins hi becomes a millionaire.
    He's already got half a million in sales...I don't think he'd win a lawsuit for this...especially not the logo and design.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Winterboard coming to an IOS 6 device near you July 2011

Winterboard coming to an IOS device near you July 2012

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
    It doesn't matter if apple would have come out with it or not. He has more than enough sales and time between the two and the fact that they are so damn similar, I'd file a suit against apple immediately. **** apple up the cornhole.
    i don't buy that one bit. You wanna know why?

I have a newton 2100 series, with a full sized PCMCIA wifi card in it, which i STILL use to sync that massive PDA to my 10.7 machine. (it's a great little note taker)

I do that with my newton

unless they stole his code, that idea is older than dirt, and was obvious. Shocked my ***, that was inevitable.
    My iPhone 4 Mod Flickr Stream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/54754025@N07/

+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast