Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS 5 Delivers Customized Vibration Patterns

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default iOS 5 Delivers Customized Vibration Patterns

Monday's WWDC keynote allowed only enough time to showcase a few select features of the forthcoming iOS 5, of which there are better than 200 fresh attributes that are slowly coming to light as devs delve into the beta and explore the expansive reach of Apple's massively updated mobile operating system.

One feature discovered after the WWDC keynote this week is getting a lot of attention across the tech blogosphere today. As it turns out, Apple is making it possible through iOS 5 for users to enjoy customized vibration patterns. For example, let's say you're in a meeting and your iPhone (ringer off) is in your pocket. Given your customized pattern, you can tell upon sensation who is calling, assuming of course you remember the vibration patterns you've assigned to particular callers - friends, family members, employers, etc.

Best of all, it appears that users can either select ready-made vibration patterns, or - here's the kicker - customize their own using finger taps to set the beat and tempo of the vibration pattern (up to 30 seconds). Certainly, this isn't considered a major development, and I get why this wasn't demonstrated at WWDC, but there's no denying the utter coolness of this feature.

Although iOS 5 won't be available for users until fall, the SDK has been available to developers since Monday, and they continue to prune through it and uncover a sweet array of new bells and whistles. To read more about iOS 5 from MMi's coverage last Monday, click here.

Source: GizmoCrunch

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

This would be cool for custom text vibrations too.

You could make it vibrate out a person's name using Morse Code language! Assuming, of course, that you can understand and decipher Morse Code.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

3GS>4 since the vibrator module vibrates more violently.

formerly known as Method2001 TheGrandFinale2001's Avatar
    Thanks

Well how bout that lol

What a stupid idea. Especially when people start complaining that their battery life is less after their 10 second vibrating pattern.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
    What a stupid idea. Especially when people start complaining that their battery life is less after their 10 second vibrating pattern.
    You're one of those people who's never happy no matter what huh? See the negative side of everything... and even when Apple is trying to give it's customers more you complain.

Edit: You have not said one constructive or positive thing in your last 25 posts. You really need to find a hobby an cheer up lol.
    Last edited by Poseidon79; 06-09-2011 at 01:07 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

babyydaveyy (06-09-2011)

Yea that would be cool for texts. I don't know about you guys, but I'm really looking forward to iOS 5.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to KeatonDodd For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (06-09-2011)

That's a cool little feature. My custom pattern would go like this. zz x zzz x zz x zzz x z x z x z x zz x z

Quote Originally Posted by KeatonDodd View Post
    Yea that would be cool for texts. I don't know about you guys, but I'm really looking forward to iOS 5.
    Same here. I can't wait!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
    I think it's pretty cool, and if you're smart you'll go easy on your custom vibes so that you won't kill your battery. I think a 10-second vibe pattern would be way too much.

Great idea as the current vibrate option for text is way too short

straight from brooklyn better know as crooklyn (crooklyn dodgers)
    Thanks

That's cool but you know what will better if mivtones would be in the AppStore that will be crazy people will be going nuts to see mivtones in AppStore diferent video for each contact know that's dope I been having mivtones since day one but haven't heard from them for a minute I already make my own ringtones which is cool but already use to the video tones gangsta status..... Come on apple let mivtones in the AppStore that will make my day who's with me!!!!!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

exciting...

While this is very nice, I'm STILL waiting for global ringtone availability for all alerts- the main reason I jailbroke in the first place. biteSMS lets me assign a different alert tone (I have a text from x) for each person I have in my list, ToDo, in which I placed my own alerts (water the lawn, take out the garbage, etc), MedReminder (Daddy, take your pill), and I have ToneFXs for the calendar (Calvetica) reminder (check my calendar) and whatever else I want to change. Since I can assign tones for the stock Clock, no issues there. This is such a small thing, and yet here we are, at the iPhone 4 (+, almost) and IOS 5 and Apple still wants every person in the world with an iPhone to hear ting or glass or whatever dumb sound they stuck in the paltry list of sounds for alerts. And every time I start to see a list of 200!!! new features on the new new new whatever, no global ringtones for alerts. Grrrr.

Now hopefully I can change texts back to a single vibration

i know of a few girlfriends who will be really happy about this

^^ lol!

miPhone's better than yours GellBrake'rrrr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    You're one of those people who's never happy no matter what huh? See the negative side of everything... and even when Apple is trying to give it's customers more you complain.

Edit: You have not said one constructive or positive thing in your last 25 posts. You really need to find a hobby an cheer up lol.
    He is a troll!!! Probably here trying to justify why he is stuck with a Droid and here to see flaws for an ego boost.
    StealthBravo is my Hero!!!!!

hey for everyone thinking this is stupid or frivolous, imagine how awesome this is if you're deaf.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast