+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS 5 Appears to Follow JB Lead Making FaceTime Available Over 3G

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
It looks like Apple has taken yet another directive from the JB community, which was more than just a few steps ahead of the Cupertino titans when jailbreakers brought FaceTime
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default iOS 5 Appears to Follow JB Lead Making FaceTime Available Over 3G

It looks like Apple has taken yet another directive from the JB community, which was more than just a few steps ahead of the Cupertino titans when jailbreakers brought FaceTime to 3G last year. But it now appears that iOS 5 will make the feature available to non-jailbroken iPhones too.

Based on the findings of a few curious devs who have poked around the new iOS 5 beta, FaceTime is poised to work over 3G for the first official time. However, just because the functionality is there and images from users tinkering with the beta confirm it, there's one enormous variable that could impact if and how we enjoy or access FaceTime over 3G. I'm referring, naturally, to Apple's carriers in the US.

Although I could be wrong, it seems highly unlikely that AT&T and Verizon will simply stand by and watch as Apple enables FaceTime to work over the carriers' respective (and already burdened) networks. Instead, one would logically assume that additional fees or data plan tiers would be implemented over time. Of course, that's just my assumption. Please keep in mind that inquiries to both AT&T and Verizon this afternoon did not yield a response on the matter.

Nonetheless, it doesn't come as a major shocker that Apple is traveling down the path of 3G FaceTime usage. Many believe Apple should have provided that functionality when the iPhone 4 and iOS 4 originally dropped last year. And if not for JB, we still wouldn't know the joys that non-JB iPhones continue to miss out on

Source: 9 to 5 Mac

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

They told us at last year's keynote that they'd be doing this, and that they just needed to work with the carriers. Since we're paying for 'Apple data', and it's expensive enough to own an iPhone as it is, I'm sure Apple pushed them to make it free - as it should be.

Thanks

Well lets hope for this, but I cant even get FaceTime to work in iOS 5! Is anyone else just stuck on "waiting for activation"?

iPhone? More like MyPhone staterunner180's Avatar
    Thanks

I think Apple is taking so many features that are popular with jailbreaking and integrating them natively in order to pull people away from jailbreaking, trying to make it not necessary anymore. But they don't realize that the vast majority of people who do jailbreak are always going to do it to their devices, no matter what Apple integrates into the OS.

Thanks

i didnt get this...i just tried and it need WiFi

Thanks

lol....typical apple -.- taking ideas from the JB community,as always

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    Well lets hope for this, but I cant even get FaceTime to work in iOS 5! Is anyone else just stuck on "waiting for activation"?
    I am in the same situation
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

iPhone? More like MyPhone PlatoTheForms's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by z3r01 View Post
    i didnt get this...i just tried and it need WiFi
    yeah that Screencap looks fake, notice how "Unavailable" doesn't align vertically with "Factime", it's at least three pixels higher

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

It's not so much apple taking ideas from jailbreakers. As apple implementing things users demand. The fact of the matter is jalbreakers don't wait for apple they develop what they want when they want. If apple didn't impliment things that are vastly popular on jailbroken devices it would mean they are not listing to the users wants and needs.

So I say kudos to the largest beta testing program via Cydia. Makes you wonder if the iphone R&D department has experienced the ra1n, sn0w, or pwn.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple copying the JB scene once again...i dont think Apple will every catch up tot he JB community as far as tweaks and apps that let us do what we want. Too late apple.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Why do people complain about Apple taking jailbreak ideas? I welcome this so I don't have to have a "hack" for my favorite features which requires more RAM. If Apple wrote in Gridlock, infinifolders, inifinidock, activator, quick reply, PhotoAlbums+, SB Settings, and Shrink into the OS I wouldn't have to jailbreak!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,874 Times in 2,213 Posts

Doesnt seem to work just on 3g for me either

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Agree this is fake - all iOS 5 devices I have tested with do not allow FaceTime over 3G still WiFi only

iPhone? More like MyPhone imilad's Avatar
    Thanks

This was not taken from the JB community. This option was intentionally disabled by apple because our carrier at the time (AT&T) can't/could not handle the data rate. I can see how they are starting to enable it with LTE on verizon and AT&T rolling it out as we speak.

Hopefully this is leading to a LTE iPhone running iOS5

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm not surprised they allow heavy data apps to be implemented. After all, ATT just wants to nail us for overage charges.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

If this goes toward monthly data usage, most consumers are going to be paying ridiculous overage fees. Between this & iCloud now is when we need unlimited data plans.
    I was lucky enough to have AT&T switch my unlimited plan to the 2GB cap. The jackass sales rep downgraded me when I got my iPhone 4 & AT&T wouldn't fix it. Even though I called them the same day.

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Lets see now if ATT are going to start again with their annoying text message about the use of excessive data...
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

Green Apple
    Thanks

hmm... that seems like it would use a lot of your data

Thanks
    it better be free. its expensive to facetime someone over 3g! for the consumer at least

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by staterunner180 View Post
    I think Apple is taking so many features that are popular with jailbreaking and integrating them natively in order to pull people away from jailbreaking, trying to make it not necessary anymore. But they don't realize that the vast majority of people who do jailbreak are always going to do it to their devices, no matter what Apple integrates into the OS.
    I think they're taking those feature because they are great ideas to start with. And they probably secretly love the jailbreaking community because its so creative.