+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: OmniVision Rumored to Supply Bulk of iPhone 5 8MP Camera Sensors

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Although many rumors and unanswered questions remain regarding the next generation iPhone (including its name and release date), it's a safe assumption - based on the vast array of corroborating
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default OmniVision Rumored to Supply Bulk of iPhone 5 8MP Camera Sensors

Although many rumors and unanswered questions remain regarding the next generation iPhone (including its name and release date), it's a safe assumption - based on the vast array of corroborating reports we've heard - that the iPhone 4S or iPhone 5 will sport an 8MP camera.

What we can't get a straight answer on, however, is the supplier of the 8MP camera sensor that will deliver the best camera to date on Apple's touchscreen handset. Two months ago, Sony CEO Howard Stringer hinted to The Wall Street Journal's Walt Mossberg that Sony's eight-megapixel sensor - which, incidentally, can also be found on Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo - is likely the sensor that will be found on the next-gen iPhone.

Well, that was two months ago.

Today, word has surfaced from the far east - AKA DigiTimes - that Apple is ordering boatloads of camera sensor components from OmniVision for the next iPhone, which could go into production as early as late July or early August, ahead of a prospective but not confirmed September 2011 release. All told, Sony is expected to provide only 10% of the camera sensors for the next iPhone. 90% will come from OmniVision, according to DigiTimes.

Despite rampant speculation - and hopes - that Apple would have provided a preview of the next-gen iPhone at yesterday's kick-off to WWDC, all we got was a software extravaganza free of any and all appearances by new or refreshed hardware.

Source: DigiTimes

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Whatever...

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Everything from this site regurgitated from 9to5mac lately...

iPhone? More like MyPhone SwatPac's Avatar
    Thanks

Not iPhone 5 or 4s, It will be called iPhone 4G!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SwatPac View Post
    no it won't

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SwatPac View Post
    yeah, no it won't.

Thanks

Look we all know the next iphone is gonna look exactly the same as the iphone 4 only with betta specs but what i dont understand is why some ppl want it thats like buying a 2007 camry then buying a 2009 that looks exactly the same but with slightly more features which ends up being a waste of money i just dont understand u ppl

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

matrixhunter i absolutely agree with you

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by matrixhunter View Post
    Look we all know the next iphone is gonna look exactly the same as the iphone 4 only with betta specs but what i dont understand is why some ppl want it thats like buying a 2007 camry then buying a 2009 that looks exactly the same but with slightly more features which ends up being a waste of money i just dont understand u ppl
    People will buy because they are sheep.
    iRepair Indy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gamemorning View Post
    matrixhunter i absolutely agree with you
    omg thanks for agreeing with me dude i have been spamming the same message across these forums to convince ppl im right and not to waste their money and welcome to modmyi

Thanks

I will buy because I want better specs than the iPhone 4, since I plan on skipping the 4.

I personally am not a "sheep" who MUST have every single iPhone iteration that comes out.

The car analogy doesn't really apply because a newer car most likely has less miles and fewer issues than the older car, which makes the newer car worth it to some people. But what can I say I'm driving a 17-year old car with 301,000 miles on it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iRepairIndy View Post
    People will buy because they are sheep.
    indeed it seems like they enjoy wasting their money we obviously know that the iphone 6 is gonna be the one with the redesign and thats the one im getting apple only redesigns every 2 years not every year

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
    I will buy because I want better specs than the iPhone 4, since I plan on skipping the 4.

I personally am not a "sheep" who MUST have every single iPhone iteration that comes out.

The car analogy doesn't really apply because a newer car most likely has less miles and fewer issues than the older car, which makes the newer car worth it to some people. But what can I say I'm driving a 17-year old car with 301,000 miles on it.
    i understand that because ur going from the 3gs to a 4s i meant the ppl that are going from 4 to 4S

My iPhone is a Part of Me Mr. Russian's Avatar
    Thanks

blah blah blah