Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Article: Apple Unveils iOS 5 with New Features Galore

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    What's with this mystical (mythical?) reloading/rebooting/freezing some people talk about? Are they just not doing it right? I've never had my device reload or reboot or freeze. No, I'm sorry, once (ONCE) it crashed to safe mode - but I knew why and I fixed it in about 20 seconds (it was caused by an error in a Cydia program).

So, I kind of agree with you - jailbreaking isn't for everyone: If you don't know what you're doing, DON'T Jailbreak! Jailbreaking is only for people that want to have a personal, unique computer in their pocket. If your desire is to be one of the sheep; to be the good little consumer that Apple wants you to be (kittens*, gumdrops*, smiles*), then by all means DO NOT Jailbreak.

I know, that's pretty darn sarcastic of me to say, and I hope you really don't take offense - it's just that, well... some people just shouldn't jailbreak. Really. People ask me about jailbreaking all the time, and the first thing I ask them is, "Are you computer-savvy?," and if they say no then I tell them not to do it ("Your phone will explode, don't do it!" - then they never ask me about it again). Learning about the ins and outs of computers, even mobile computers, is a time-consuming process. It's taken me years to learn what I have, and I still haven't even scratched the surface of some of the things I could do to further personalize my device. There's just so much to learn, if you're not focused and dedicated then jailbreaking is NOT for you - you're just not the kind of person that should do it. You've got to really want it. You've got to be a "break barriers" type of person - an aggressive individualist of sorts.

Jailbreaking is a choice that you have to make for the right reasons. If it's annoying, or if you can't/ won't search for answers (every answer I've ever had about jailbreaking/ themes/ theming is out there, trust me) - then you should maybe take a break from it and come back at another time when you've gathered the patience.

Actually, with iOS 5 coming out, this is the one time I can say "I don't blame you" if you decide not to jailbreak. It will be a blow to the jailbreak community I'm sure, but one way or another, those that want it enough will find a way. I'm just really interested to see who will stay and who will go. I'll be jailbreaking for the rest of my life - I'm sure of it. Making themes for the iPhone has turned this small computer into a modern work of art. Truly. I often can't believe how amazing a creation Apple has given us. I'm excited to see what they'll come up with five, ten, or twenty years from now! But that's for another post!
    Ninety-five percent of your reply was reasonable and I agree wholeheartedly with what you are saying. However, I could do without your snarky, uppity reply regarding being a "sheeple", blah, blah, blah. I figured someone would reply in a snobbish manner having searched out questions to answers I have had dozens of times with my Apple devices and seeing too numerous to count unprovoked pinhead responses.

As far as "not doing it right", I don't know what you mean. I have jaiilbroken my phone and my wife and kids' phones many times over. Yes, I have screwed up some, but I have searched out answers on my own literally for hundreds of hours and have been successful at finding the answers with much, much patience. If you are going to insinuate that I don't experience bugginess, lag, crashing, etc. because I did something wrong you are very mistaken.

I have plenty of intellect and patience for doing things...that are important to me. Jailbreaking was fun for a while. I knew there would come a time when Apple would make jailbreaking unnecessary for me with the appropriate update. This may be it...but then again I may get the itch to be the pioneer you supposedly appear to be and hold off updating to iOS5 until a jailbreak comes out.

Jahooba, look at last two letters of my screen name. I don't know what you do for a living, but my guess is if you tried to do what I do, you would wet your little panties. Patience, attention to detail, responsibility and diligence are part of every minute of every day at my job. I've developed some very thick skin in the process after thousands of hours of practice and study.

Thanks for most of your input. You make some very valid points and in essence, I agree. Jailbreaking is a challenge that entices some. I'm just not sure I am in that camp anymore.

I would consider myself pretty darn computer-savvy, but let me tell you I had a good bit of problems with my phone on 4.0.1 JB'd using jailbreakme.com. Apps would freeze/crash several times a week. Maps, Camera, and Safari were NOTORIOUS for locking up on me. At one point it was so bad that EVERY SINGLE APP crashed out right after launching until I rebooted the phone.

I don't think it's anyone's fault that it wasn't very stable. It just wasn't. I'm hoping my current 4.3.3 sn0wbreeze JB will work a bit better for me.

iPhone? More like MyPhone fbiryujin's Avatar
    Thanks

They always say over 200 new features, but then only discuss 10 major ones. I'm really curious as to what the entire list of 200 features are. Can anyone point me to it?

oke some people are saying here they copied from android microsoft and RIM But i don't get RIM what does they steal from them?
    not imessage, cause before BBM there was another application for free messaging over the internet. and for bbm you need a special SIM :S

I don't care how late apple is to show off these new tweAks apple will never lose customers due to the community iPhones have already!!!!

i don't get what they stealed from BlackBerry.

messaging, because it's never been integrated into the phone before.

Quick question for anyone who may know, but for imessage on iphone, will you receive messages through your number or your apple id? Because if its number, your texts won't go to your other idevices and if its email, people will have to message to your email as opposed to your number as they are used to. Anyone know exactly how this will work?

Actually you can setup other emails to receive the messages. I have 2 emails setup and my number. A staff member has my number for text so it auto changes our text to imessages. Other staff have an email to imessage me. And the other email is a general email to be reached when I don't want the other email or number known.

Be sure to change your caller ID to the number or the email that you want everyone to see.

Ah I see. But what if someone "imessages" me on my iphone's number? Will I be able to read that their message on, say my ipad, (if its logged in with the same email as the one my iphone has on it) even though the message was routed to my number?

I never got around to testing that on my iPad. It did have my first email on it but never received the messages. Put my iPad back to 4.3.3 because 5.0 none of the video apps work.

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Looks like a nice upgrade. I sure hope the originators of all the tweaks that find their way into official iOS releases are getting compensated somehow. This one is loaded with them.

Quote Originally Posted by matrixhunter View Post
    i agree this was the most stupidest event ever and i bet u in the fall when the new ios 5 comes out thats when they gonna announce the iphone 4s or 5 and its gonna look exactly the same as the current iphone 4 just with betta specs like they did with iphone 3g to to 3gs im so pissed off its not even funny
    Nah, they'll do what they've always done. Release new hardware with features that are compatible with previous generation hardware and lock it out. Watch, they'll release iOS 5 with features that don't work on the iPhone 4 because people will have to upgrade to get it. History proves so. Still excited, great looking OS.
    HK-Z on Game Center

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default nothing worthwhile new/original
    Really, i don't see anything worthwile here that I don't already have in my jailbroken iphone. Wireless update, have it; notification screen with swipe down, have it. Had all of those on the iphone3 actually.

If anything, i'll lay a bet that all these new features make the iphone 4 run slower and hog more memory.

not really excited about much here. nothing innovative or game changing. I agree with the people crying "catch up" and "copy"

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    LOL, good one. This is a crazy-great update. Sure, it's adding stuff that others already have, but that doesn't make it any less useful.

Until, that is, we get to the iCloud service. I hate Apple to its core, but this is one giant frikkin' Ace up their sleeve.

Jailbreakers should be very, very worried.

Quote Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
    Nah, they'll do what they've always done. Release new hardware with features that are compatible with previous generation hardware and lock it out. Watch, they'll release iOS 5 with features that don't work on the iPhone 4 because people will have to upgrade to get it. History proves so. Still excited, great looking OS.
    From what I've heard the only thing in iOS 5 that won't be compatible or won't work on the 3GS is the native photo editing. Other than that everything about it is fully functional. So I would expect pretty much everything to be functional on iPhone 4.

Quote Originally Posted by moorecreative View Post
    Really, i don't see anything worthwile here that I don't already have in my jailbroken iphone. Wireless update, have it; notification screen with swipe down, have it. Had all of those on the iphone3 actually.

If anything, i'll lay a bet that all these new features make the iphone 4 run slower and hog more memory.

not really excited about much here. nothing innovative or game changing. I agree with the people crying "catch up" and "copy"
    Well I don't know about you or anyone else, but given the choice of the same feature as a "jailbroken" add-on or integrated into the iOS, I'll take integrated any day of the week. In my experience features just seem to work and run better when integrated into the iOS instead of a JB hack.

I know every messaging app I've tried (App Store and JB) is slow as fudge in some aspect or another, compared to the stock MMS app. I have high hopes that they'll make iMessage work just as well as the MMS app and we can leave the 3rd party apps behind.

apple iphone is the best tust me i had a evo and when i came back to iphone it was night and day everything just works better and its great to see these new feature coming in ios 5 and cant wait to see whats going to be in cydia when that update comes out that means the dev will have so much more to work with

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456